What's the best annual SEC game most years that doesn't involve Alabama? - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: What's the best annual SEC game most years that doesn't involve Alabama?

You guys root for the Dawgs huh.......

BamaNation Hall of Fame 81usaf92's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bazza View Post
    You guys root for the Dawgs huh.......

Its not because we want to, but because we have to in order to prevent a late season Auburn surge.

but its not as hard as rooting for Auburn to curb stomp Tennessee

"Aut viam inveniam aut faciam."

Hannibal

FB|BB Moderator

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Ole Miss - Mississippi State.

Not often great teams, and even less often influences a championship of any kind. But for spectacular dysfunctionality, internecine hate, and pure-d wierdness, it's hard to top.
    You can't reason a man out of a position he didn't reason himself into.

I have always enjoyed watching LSU and the Razorbacks tangle.

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Auburn VS Georgia
    That game is a battle, like Auburn VS Alabama

Geez, I can't believe no one has mentioned South Carolina vs Missouri . . .
    RTR

Florida-L8U has been a good one for the last few years.
    Oderint dum metuant - Lucius Accius

Quote Originally Posted by 4Q Basket Case View Post
    I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Ole Miss - Mississippi State.

Not often great teams, and even less often influences a championship of any kind. But for spectacular dysfunctionality, internecine hate, and pure-d wierdness, it's hard to top.
    It's all the hate of the Iron Bowl but with terrible football teams.
    Oderint dum metuant - Lucius Accius

BamaNation Hall of Fame JBama_in_PCOLA's Avatar
    Andalusia, Alabama via Pensacola, Florida United States

LSU/UF or AU/UGA

BamaNation All-American GP for Bama's Avatar

I like the AU-UGA game. Usually there is a lot of intensity. It drives AU crazy that UGA has dominated the series the last 15 years or so.

Also the UF-LSU game is great. It is often a good game. Also LSU is usually crying that they are being abused because they have to play UF every year..... Just funny.
    Bama 934-320-44 73.6% On the field

2018 SEC CHAMPS!

BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaMoon's Avatar

I think UT vs. UF was the best game in college football a few years ago. Better than what eventually became the same thing in the west with LSU and Bama, but UT and UF was really fun to watch (typically high scoring games) and it was basically the SECCG lots of years.

I think in the next few years that's what will happen with UF and Georgia, but I'd love to see UT start challenging both of them.
    IMO, SEC needs a stronger east that resembles more of the west.

BamaNation Hall of Fame selmaborntidefan's Avatar

The Egg Bowl - I'll admit to being a tad bit biased here having spent nearly two full decades as a prisoner of war in the Magnolia State. With the exception that the teams are about 1/4 as talented, all that propaganda you hear about the Iron Bowl is found in the Egg Bowl.

"Coaches have been fired for failure to win this game"

No Alabama coach in history has ever been fired for failure to beat Auburn.

(In point of fact, the only coaches Alabama has actually fired since the Iron Bowl re-started are Drew (perhaps), Whitworth, Price and Shula. That woud shock a lot of people and yes - I know that DuBose would have been fired......but how many of those coaches got canned because they couldn't specifically beat Auburn? Drew only lost his last game against Auburn, Whitworth couldn't beat anyone, Price never coached a game, and Shula would have kept his job if....I don't even want to go there).

I'll leave it to the Aw-bun faithful to determine that with their coaches, but please spare us your sportswriting poppycock cliche. Maybe Doug Barfield. Maybe Tubs or Chizik saves the job with a win (as opposed to a blowout) in the last Iron Bowl. But please spare me the nonsense.

Emory Bellard lost 3 in a row to Ole Miss and despite having 2 really good years right before that, he got canned.
    Rockey Felker went 1-4, and his win came right as Ole Miss got put back on probation, and he got canned.

Some of the others are admittedly debatable, but the in-state mandate is clear: 6-7 wins minimum and a bowl game - and beat the other one in the Egg Bowl.

"Throw out the records, anyone can win this game."

That's the biggest Porta-Potty of crap when talking about the Iron Bowl. There's been ONE true upset since the game restarted - Alabama's 1984 win. The other so-called "upsets" were evenly matched teams record-wise (1972, 1985, 2001, 2002, 2013).

But the Egg Bowl actually has those occurences.

2017 - 6-6 Ole Miss beats 9-4 MSU
    2009 - 5-7 MSU beats 9-4 Ole Miss
    2007 - yes, 8-5 MSU did beat 3-9 Ole Miss......but Ole Miss led, 14-0, with eight minutes left and gave up 17 points, including a FG with :12 left.
    2001 - 3-8 MSU beats 7-4 Ole Miss
    1983 - 6-6 Ole Miss beats 3-8 MSU on an Auburn-level miracle......the game-winning field goal on its way to victory is blown out of the sky by a wind gust.....on a 26-yard attempt by a pretty good kicker
    1981 - 4-6-1 Ole Miss beats Hall of Fame Bowl (and three-point loss to a decent Alabama team) MSU, who is 8-4
    1968 - 0-8-2 MSU and 7-3-1 Liberty Bowl bound Ole Miss...play to a 17-all tie

It has many closer calls than the Iron Bowl where a team with an awful record almost beats one with a good record.

I also think Auburn-LSU is a fun one.

Auburn-UGA
    UF-UT
    My New Year's resolution for 2019 is this year I'm not going to drink anymore. I'm not going to drink any less, either.

I was married for 25 years, but if I'd killed her on the honeymoon, I'd have been out in less than 20.

Butch Jones has richly earned his title, The Archbishop of Talentbury

After reading all the horrible things drinking will do to you....I gave up reading.

BamaNation All-SEC RollinTider1335's Avatar

LSU vs Ole Miss is usually really good too. A lot of undocumented hate between them too. Brings out their best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk