What's the best annual SEC game most years that doesn't involve Alabama? - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Publisher, TideFans.com &
    Benevolent Dictator

Re: What's the best annual SEC game most years that doesn't involve Alabama?

Quote Originally Posted by Bazza View Post
    The problem with that game is you don't 'root' for either team to win ,do you?
    You pull for the referees.

Quote Originally Posted by selmaborntidefan View Post
    The Egg Bowl - I'll admit to being a tad bit biased here having spent nearly two full decades as a prisoner of war in the Magnolia State. With the exception that the teams are about 1/4 as talented, all that propaganda you hear about the Iron Bowl is found in the Egg Bowl.

"Coaches have been fired for failure to win this game"

No Alabama coach in history has ever been fired for failure to beat Auburn.
    I think Curry was awfully close, which is why he ran for the bluer grass of KY IMO.
    RTR

BamaNation Hall of Fame colbysullivan's Avatar

LSU-Auburn is usually a good one too.

BamaNation Hall of Fame GrayTide's Avatar

LSU vs Ole Miss at one time was one of the premier annual SEC games. We all know what happened on Halloween Night 1959 in Baton Rouge. After Archie Manning graduated and John Vaught retired, the game lost a lot of its luster because Ole Miss became a challegne to Vanderbilt for the SEC cellar dweller. Occasionally Ole Miss will surprise the Bayou Bengals, but for the most part LSU dominates this series.

Georgia vs South Carolina has been a game where upsets can and do happen (especially during the Spurrier years), but since the beginning of the Richt era UGA has pretty much dominated this series.

I will repost my most hated teams out of the 130 FBS teams.

130. Auburn
    129. Notre Dame
    128. Tennessee
    1-127 No preference
    Last edited by GrayTide; March 8th, 2019 at 06:28 AM.
    "My momma always said you got to put the past behind you before you can move on." Forrest Gump

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

BamaNation Third Team BamaMcGowin's Avatar

Not that the outcome either way was good, but the Auburn-LSU "Les Miles" game in 2016 in which LSU "won" then lost all in the last couple seconds was wild. The game clock was winding down late, and although they made a first and goal with a few seconds left, a penalty for illegal shift sent them back with 1 second remaining. When the clock started on the officials signal, it was all over. IMO, the refs didn't help LSU any by poorly communicating what was happening with where the ball was to be spotted, but I'm not loosing any sleep over the fact of who it happened to!

I don't like either team winning, but it was a very entertaining way to end a game. The mind-boggling decision to fire Les Miles after that game made it an even more intriguing story.

This game has been on the top of the list for Alabama fans to watch for the past 10-15 years because of the ramifications for the division and Alabama's spot in it. A win here for either team usually puts them one win against Alabama away from an SEC Championship game appearance.

It used to be UT-UF for many years.

Then UGA/UF took over, but I'd argue that UGA/Auburn has been more interesting lately.

BamaNation All-SEC rolltide7854's Avatar

Anybody but Auburn

Quote Originally Posted by Bazza View Post
    You guys root for the Dawgs huh.......

Publisher, TideFans.com &
    Benevolent Dictator

1) fl-uga
    2) uga-au
    3) om-msu
    4) lsu-tamu

BamaNation Hall of Fame TideMan09's Avatar

I pick The Barn & Georgia as well..Here lately The Vandy - Tennessee game has been really good just cause the viles can't hang with Vandy now days..LOL

BamaNation Second Team CoachInWaiting's Avatar

Over the years, this has been all over the board. When I was a kid, the LSU-Ole Miss game was as big to those fans as Alabama-Tennessee or Texas-Oklahoma. I always looked forward to it, especially during the McClendon era when I always wanted LSU to win. The same can be said now, but more due to the demise of any semblance of morality at Ole Miss. I also enjoy it when Tennessee and Auburn play. It allows me to root for the Viles once in a while and still see a hated rival go down in defeat. UGA-barn is a similar situation, I'm always going to be against the barn winning anything, even if UGA has to win. UGA-UF has often been entertaining and important to the standings, so it will always be noteworthy. And, although it hasn't been an SEC match-up for long, LSU and A&M have had quite a few great games in the past.
    ​They said Bear Bryant walked on water....Nick Saban swims through land.

BamaNation First Team

Living in TN it has be UT-Fla. I dearly love to watch the vile fans whine and cry. It's so bad now that most won't even talk football. The envy/hatred of Bama borders on the absurd.

BamaNation Hall of Fame 81usaf92's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by trenda View Post
    I think Curry was awfully close, which is why he ran for the bluer grass of KY IMO.
    Had Curry beaten Miami then I think he would've been hard not to be retained. Dye was on the decline, and you could make the argument that Auburn won the IB that day because of a crazy amount of energy of it being the 1st time ever in Auburn.
    "Aut viam inveniam aut faciam."

Hannibal

BamaNation Hall of Fame selmaborntidefan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by trenda View Post

One can make that argument. I don't think the evidence supports it, but there are some supporting points.

For those too young to remember or who have successfully completed the Curry Amnesia Course - Curry bolted because after winning his first SEC title (our first post-Bryant SEC title no less), Hootie Ingram offered him a contract with no raise, released Alabama from any "outside money" Curry got if they fired him (which could be done at any time for any reason) and......most important......Curry could neither hire nor fire his staff.

In other words, he got offered a contract they knew he was going to tell the PTB to stuff it.

My suspicion (which I'll admit may be wrong) is that Ingram was named AD in order to woo Bobby Bowden to the Capstone. After botching the 1987 hire, I always figured you go get a former Alabama guy who helped build FSU, bring him in so Bowden comes, and then offer the current coach a terrible deal so he walks.

I don't think it was so much about firing Curry as it was getting Bowden. I suspect Hootie got caught in a bad situation after Curry messed up the plan by winning the SEC, albeit in a three-way tie. And my own personal thought is that that contract was already drawn up regardless of whether Curry had beaten Auburn or not.

Let's grant, however, both of us are speculating at this point. But I honestly thought the day they hired Ingram (Sep 1989) that it was to get Bobby Bowden.
    My New Year's resolution for 2019 is this year I'm not going to drink anymore. I'm not going to drink any less, either.

I was married for 25 years, but if I'd killed her on the honeymoon, I'd have been out in less than 20.

Butch Jones has richly earned his title, The Archbishop of Talentbury

After reading all the horrible things drinking will do to you....I gave up reading.