Favorite Meals You Remember as a Child (with Pics if you Got Them)

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Just finished my morning treadmill and was thinking about what I was going to eat at noon today when my 16 hour intermittent fast ends. It made me think back to my favorite meals growing up and decided to see if y'all had a memory of a favorite meal cooked by your mother, grandmother, aunt or other relative or friend. If you happen to have pics include those. I will start with my grandmother's Sunday dinner, after spending an unbearable hour in a small, rural, South Alabama church with no air conditioning.

1.Biscuits and dog bread, a rural South Alabama style of cornbread made with only cornmeal, water, butter and salt.
2.Freshly shelled and cooked butter beans and purple hull peas cooked in some form of meat for flavor (floating in grease).
3.Freshly picked and removed from the cob, cream corn. The cream corn was so thick that the serving spoon stood up by itself in the bowl.
4. Fried okra which I loved, but I would not touch boiled okra.
5. Fresh from the garden sliced tomatoes and cucumbers.
6. Fried chicken and a fall apart roast cooked with carrots and potatoes.
7. Pepper sauce
8. Peach cobbler or blackberry cobbler
9. Three layer yellow coconut cake with icing so creamy that it saturated the yellow cake layers.
10. Ice tea so sweet that it could make you wince. As kids, most of us drank some flavor of Kool Aid sweetened with pure sugar.

Last edited:

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
None for me thanks, yuck.
Double yuck. Yuck Yuck!

I remember going to my Aunt's house in the country many years ago. Fried chicken, mashed potatoes and gravy, butterbeans and a big glass of iced tea. Man, it was good! Sticks in my mind like it was yesterday.

Coming back from my Grand Parent's house there was a Dairy Queen kind of place. Not a chain but a mom and pop. We would beg my Dad to stop but usually, he would speed past it and my brother and I would watch it disappear in the distance. But when we did stop that hamburger, fries, a coke and a soft ice cream cone were like Heaven. Best I ever had. Back then my parent's were very frugal. Any kind of a treat was a rare event in our household. No cokes, no chips, no sweets.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.