Sources: LSU hoops coach on wiretap discussing 'offer' - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: Sources: LSU hoops coach on wiretap discussing 'offer'

MIZZOU got hammered , while LSU/ WADE will have to run stadium steps! Today’s NCAA!

I’m sure that somewhere in Tiggerland, Bama is being mentioned as getting way with murder in football!
    Last edited by bamaga; March 8th, 2019 at 07:00 AM.
    to 16 and beyond........

Publisher, TideFans.com &
    Benevolent Dictator

Quote Originally Posted by LSUgrad2BamaDad View Post
    One thing to remember is that our idiot AD is the same guy who cancelled Duke’s lacrosse season amid public pressure and not believing in his team. We all know how that turned out.

Bamanation - I understand your points, I really do. I wish and hope college athletics is pure, but I know in reality, rules are being broken all over the place.
    These things are like whack-a-mole. You gotta squash'em as soon as you see'em -- knowing they will reappear all over the place. Allowing him to continue coaching when he's on tape talking about the deal seems really short-sighted. In the Duke deal, the AD (and the national media) believed the stripper without any corroborating evidence whatsoever.

That said, any coach who condones, promotes, encourages, or participates in pay-to-play schemes should be banned from coaching - at all levels - for life.

Here's what I think should be done (pie-in-the-sky):

1) Banish the NCAA to the 7th level of Hell where it wants to exist anyway.
    2) Create what I'll call Division 4: This would be the 4 major conferences + 2 mid-majors that are worth anything and their CURRENT teams.
    3) NO OTHER TEAMS WOULD BE ALLOWED TO JOIN DIVISION 4 WITHOUT A SIGNIFICANT CONTRIBUTION SPREAD AMONGST ALL OTHER D4 TEAMS (I'm thinking on the order of $250 Million to $1 Billion)
    4) No team could change conferences without a SIGNIFICANT contribution to all other teams in all conferences ($100M to $500M)
    4) No D4 team could play ANY OTHER team - ever - in any sport.
    5) 35% of Revenue generated in D4 would go to pay players.
    6) If a player is paid, s/he cannot change schools unless s/he has a degree in hand - in any sport.
    7) If players want to be paid, then they are now professionals and must sign and adhere to contracts & contract laws. I've got a whole list of things I would add here (drug testing, kicked off team and thus no more pay for players who violate rules about violence, sexual abuse, cheating, etc etc).
    8) Players who are kicked off team are ineligible to play in D4 for life.

9) Create degrees in the various sports. Actors can major in acting, musicians can major in music, why shouldn't athletes major in a sport? OR eliminate the whole academic thing altogether and have players just be representatives of a school. Radical, I know.

You want to straighten up college sports and college athletes? Hold them & their coaches and administrations accountable at a very high level. If you want to be paid, you've got to establish very high standards from the outset. Let anyone else go to the lesser schools or good luck making a pro team.

Harsh? Yes. But I'm tired of this nonsense. It's time to stop pretending.
    Last edited by BamaNation; March 8th, 2019 at 07:27 AM.

I think the ncaa is singling out a little guy (let’s face it, we are no basketball blue blood) to try to make an example of, while turning a blind eye and essentially protecting the big ones.

Fight on WW!
    Unless I missed something in the last 12 hours, the NCAA hasn't done a thing. It's the FBI that has the recording.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson

BamaNation First Team

Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post
    Unless I missed something in the last 12 hours, the NCAA hasn't done a thing. It's the FBI that has the recording.
    The NCAA doesn't want to mess with March Madness, which is their cash cow, so they will do little to nothing in regards to the corruption in men's basketball.

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by BamaNation View Post
    This has been discussed on our hoops board but I want to relate it to what we had to go through in the 2000s when we were “staring down the barrel of a shotgun” with the NCAAs pompous and corrupt staff.

How do the schools involved in these schemes not get the death penalty when they have them ON A FRIGGIN RECORDING talking about “deals” and “offers”?

Add that to the fact that Mark Schlabach is reporting that “LSU will ride out the rest of the season with Wade as coach.”

Somebody explain to me the NCAAs impotence. I’m getting mad again thinking about their arrogance toward us and their non existence in 2019.

Pathetic.
    After watching these situations play out for years, my opinion is that the programs who cooperate with the NCAA in an effort to correct any misdeeds get hammered by the NCAA right after the NCAA pats the particular university's compliance department on the back for their transparency. The universities who lawyer up and basically flip off the NCAA get nothing or very little because the NCAA has little or no proof that would be admissible in court if the university sued the NCAA. The NCAA should have gone in a different direction with these situations and shown some mercy for those who were transparent and seemed to want to correct issues and hammered those who "lawyered" up. As usual, the lawyers will make money and laugh all the way to the bank while the really guilty laugh about how they got away with something. Of course, that's just how I see it.

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonProf View Post
    With that kind of money floating around, it's hard to see how paying players ends corruption.
    It won't. Throw in that many states are now legalizing gambling, and it will only get worse because no matter how much some folks have or make, they always think they deserve more. Greed will only breed more corruption. I wish they would let the NBA take kids out of high school and let them worry about developing those guys. If a kid is willing to play ball in exchange for an education, let them do so with the understanding that it is a very fair trade.
    I'm not one who thinks the NCAA needs to go away, though, because I can't even imagine how much cheating would take place if there is no entity in charge of policing the situation. I don't like how the NCAA applies their "justice", but they do at least apply some.
    Last edited by teamplayer; March 8th, 2019 at 11:49 AM.

Publisher, TideFans.com &
    Benevolent Dictator

Quote Originally Posted by teamplayer View Post
    It won't. Throw in that many states are now legalizing gambling, and it will only get worse because no matter how much some has or makes, they always think they deserve more. Greed will only breed more corruption. I wish they would let the NBA take kids out of high school and let them worry about developing those guys. If a kid is willing to play ball in exchange for an education, let them do so with the understanding that it is a very fair trade.
    I'm not one who thinks the NCAA needs to go away, though, because I can't even imagine how much cheating would take place if there is no entity in charge of policing the situation. I don't like how the NCAA applies their "justice", but they do at least apply some.
    Of course you’re correct. Thus the reason you make it a contractual relationship with harsh penalties for violating the agreement.

So many athletes are kids who by reasonable academic standards would never be allowed into major colleges. The last 10 years have created better academic accountability and coaches like CNS hold players accountable but he is rare because he also wins at an extraordinary rate.

I’m not sure what an actually actionable change is going to be but Im sure I will like it less than what I propose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Agree. Even if the NCAA wants to sweep some or all of this under the rug, when something this blatant is made public they have to do something. Now, it may be a little something or a lot something depending on the school...

I think the ncaa is singling out a little guy (let’s face it, we are no basketball blue blood) to try to make an example of, while turning a blind eye and essentially protecting the big ones.

Fight on WW!
    Looks like Joe Aleva isn't taking any chances...

https://twitter.com/abc/status/1104098287160823809

"I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson

Here’s more NCAA logic. Let’s not forget that an ‘Auburn Man’, Chuck Person, is in the middle of all this corruption. At least two auburn players, or members of their family, are known to have been paid money - an act that usually results in loss of amateur status and eligibility. We’re not talking about an impermissible meal or other type of incidental infraction where a few dollars are donated to charity and a short suspension is served. This is the intentional payment of, and the intentional acceptance of, money that both parties knew to be violations of the highest order. But for some reason, both players were allowed to return to play hoops at auburn (although I think only one of them actually returned). The NCAA is saying: you can’t be paid, but if you do and get caught, give the money back and all is forgiven. In that environment, where is the incentive to follow the rules? The most recent NCAA investigations on the plains into

N – Non
    C – Compliance
    A – At
    A – Auburn

Have resulted in

N – No
    C – Charges
    A – At
    A – All

I suppose this should be expected when they have hired half of the investigative staff away from Indianapolis to be their compliance
    department. Who among us believes Pearl knew nothing of what Person was doing? After all, he’s never been caught doing anything illegal at any other school, right? I’m sure we all believe the NCAA will eventually get around to doing the right thing here. Yeah, me neither…
    Watch your thoughts; they become words.
    Watch your words; they become actions.
    Watch your actions; they become habits.
    Watch your habits; they become character.
    Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.

BamaNation All-SEC

Looks like Joe Aleva isn't taking any chances...

https://twitter.com/abc/status/1104098287160823809

"Caretaker" coach Dale Brown tanned, rested and tested for another 'Who Final Four run!

tRant is more fun than a barrel of monkeys right now.
    Just a barner.

There goes Davis!

BamaNation Hall of Fame JBama_in_PCOLA's Avatar
    Andalusia, Alabama via Pensacola, Florida United States

That can’t be good.