Sources: LSU hoops coach on wiretap discussing 'offer'

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
Unless I missed something in the last 12 hours, the NCAA hasn't done a thing. It's the FBI that has the recording.
Agree. Even if the NCAA wants to sweep some or all of this under the rug, when something this blatant is made public they have to do something. Now, it may be a little something or a lot something depending on the school...

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006
Here’s more NCAA logic. Let’s not forget that an ‘Auburn Man’, Chuck Person, is in the middle of all this corruption. At least two auburn players, or members of their family, are known to have been paid money - an act that usually results in loss of amateur status and eligibility. We’re not talking about an impermissible meal or other type of incidental infraction where a few dollars are donated to charity and a short suspension is served. This is the intentional payment of, and the intentional acceptance of, money that both parties knew to be violations of the highest order. But for some reason, both players were allowed to return to play hoops at auburn (although I think only one of them actually returned). The NCAA is saying: you can’t be paid, but if you do and get caught, give the money back and all is forgiven. In that environment, where is the incentive to follow the rules? The most recent NCAA investigations on the plains into

N – Non
C – Compliance
A – At
A – Auburn

Have resulted in

N – No
C – Charges
A – At
A – All

I suppose this should be expected when they have hired half of the investigative staff away from Indianapolis to be their compliance
department. Who among us believes Pearl knew nothing of what Person was doing? After all, he’s never been caught doing anything illegal at any other school, right? I’m sure we all believe the NCAA will eventually get around to doing the right thing here. Yeah, me neither…

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
In this case, at least, I think their cooperation is irrelevant. They have Wade on tape. This is as close to a smoking gun as I've seen in an improper benefits investigation in quite some time.
Yep. As more wiretaps/transcripts come out, the more we'll see this.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Alleva trying to get ahead of this thing. Far too many times the NCAA shows up on campus investigating one program and before you know they are “poking around” elsewhere. Basketball is important but football is the cash cow. You don’t want them sticking their nose around the football program.

rolltide7854

All-American
Aug 20, 2007
Birmingham, Ala
All that is missing is "keep it down home, cuz"

Sorry Audub, I couldn't resist

In this case, at least, I think their cooperation is irrelevant. They have Wade on tape. This is as close to a smoking gun as I've seen in an improper benefits investigation in quite some time.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
This has been discussed on our hoops board but I want to relate it to what we had to go through in the 2000s when we were “staring down the barrel of a shotgun” with the NCAAs pompous and corrupt staff.

How do the schools involved in these schemes not get the death penalty when they have them ON A FRIGGIN RECORDING talking about “deals” and “offers”?

Add that to the fact that Mark Schlabach is reporting that “LSU will ride out the rest of the season with Wade as coach.”

Somebody explain to me the NCAAs impotence. I’m getting mad again thinking about their arrogance toward us and their non existence in 2019.

Pathetic.
Seems like having them on tape ought to be enough for a quick trial.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
We're just beginning to see details trickle out from this investigation - I suspect no on his safe, blue blood or not.

If the NCAA has no issue with going after OSU, USC, and Bama in football then it's not about protecting blue bloods...

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Have to admit that I raised an eyebrow earlier this season when will Wade took over an average program, went 18-15 in his first season and then jumped to a 25-5 record this year. Something about that just didn’t add up and now we know why..

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Have to admit that I raised an eyebrow earlier this season when will Wade took over an average program, went 18-15 in his first season and then jumped to a 25-5 record this year. Something about that just didn’t add up and now we know why..
Posted more about it in the big thread on the basketball board, but this apparently surprises no one in coaching.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
One thing to remember is that our idiot AD is the same guy who cancelled Duke’s lacrosse season amid public pressure and not believing in his team. We all know how that turned out.

Bamanation - I understand your points, I really do. I wish and hope college athletics is pure, but I know in reality, rules are being broken all over the place.
O good night.....that might have been the first real case of "Internet mob rule," which has only gotten worse.

And we ALL know - yes we do - had that been Duke BASKETBALL, we would have heard something about "presumption of innocence."

I don't dispute your little fall guy theory, there's plenty of evidence to suggest it. The flip side is - just like Ole Miss - you're the one the cop pulled over for speeding. Same thing happened to us with the 2002 sanctions.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
NCAA didn’t have a smoking gun like they do here. It’s why “deny, deny, deny” worked out so well for us.
The fact you're one of the few people honest enough to at least josh about this and smile actually raises my immense respect for you and your honesty.

And FTR - while I have no doubt Cam (or Daddy) was paid, I was never an advocate of "Auburn is getting the death penalty" or even stripping of the national title. The dollar bills never made a TD pass or a tackle.

I have two other Auburn friends who have been basically the same about it. One - and we have a good time sparring back and forth - admits the payment though minimizes it with "Daddy was paid but yeah."

I have another Auburn grad friend (Engineering) who thought Auburn DID deserve the death penalty for the Eric Ramsey scandal.
That was a similar smoking gun to this one with Will Wade.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.