Sources: LSU hoops coach on wiretap discussing 'offer' - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 40 to 52 of 56
  1. #40
    BamaNation Hall of Fame selmaborntidefan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    19,072

    Re: Sources: LSU hoops coach on wiretap discussing 'offer'

    Quote Originally Posted by AUDub View Post
    NCAA didn’t have a smoking gun like they do here. It’s why “deny, deny, deny” worked out so well for us.
    The fact you're one of the few people honest enough to at least josh about this and smile actually raises my immense respect for you and your honesty.


    And FTR - while I have no doubt Cam (or Daddy) was paid, I was never an advocate of "Auburn is getting the death penalty" or even stripping of the national title. The dollar bills never made a TD pass or a tackle.

    I have two other Auburn friends who have been basically the same about it. One - and we have a good time sparring back and forth - admits the payment though minimizes it with "Daddy was paid but yeah."

    I have another Auburn grad friend (Engineering) who thought Auburn DID deserve the death penalty for the Eric Ramsey scandal.
    That was a similar smoking gun to this one with Will Wade.
    My New Year's resolution for 2019 is this year I'm not going to drink anymore. I'm not going to drink any less, either.

    I was married for 25 years, but if I'd killed her on the honeymoon, I'd have been out in less than 20.

    Butch Jones has richly earned his title, The Archbishop of Talentbury

    After reading all the horrible things drinking will do to you....I gave up reading.

  2. #41
    BamaNation Hall of Fame AUDub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    I don't roll on Shabbos.
    Posts
    9,638

    Re: Sources: LSU hoops coach on wiretap discussing 'offer'

    Quote Originally Posted by selmaborntidefan View Post
    The fact you're one of the few people honest enough to at least josh about this and smile actually raises my immense respect for you and your honesty.


    And FTR - while I have no doubt Cam (or Daddy) was paid, I was never an advocate of "Auburn is getting the death penalty" or even stripping of the national title. The dollar bills never made a TD pass or a tackle.

    I have two other Auburn friends who have been basically the same about it. One - and we have a good time sparring back and forth - admits the payment though minimizes it with "Daddy was paid but yeah."

    I have another Auburn grad friend (Engineering) who thought Auburn DID deserve the death penalty for the Eric Ramsey scandal.
    That was a similar smoking gun to this one with Will Wade.
    Wouldn't argue that at all.

    If there is one thing we learned from all that, do not, at all, cooperate with the NCAA. Mizzou learned that the hard way. They'll nail you to the wall either way. Circle the wagons and make them dig up the dirt.
    Just a barner.
    Auburn attempted 40 3 pointers while Tennessee only attempted 15. This kills the one seed.

  3. #42
    BamaNation Hall of Fame selmaborntidefan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    19,072

    Re: Sources: LSU hoops coach on wiretap discussing 'offer'

    Quote Originally Posted by AUDub View Post
    tRant is more fun than a barrel of monkeys right now.
    Incredible.


    I go over there and the FIRST THING I see from the LSU board is a thread attacking an inspirational speech maker who has BEEN DEAD FOR TWENTY-SIX YEARS......Jim Valvano.


    You see, Valvano's PLAYERS selling NCAA tourney tix for profit on their own is somehow HIS fault.......but.......they're too stupid to see the coach HIMSELF on tape making an offer is light years away from Valvano's situation.


    Un-freaking-believable.....
    My New Year's resolution for 2019 is this year I'm not going to drink anymore. I'm not going to drink any less, either.

    I was married for 25 years, but if I'd killed her on the honeymoon, I'd have been out in less than 20.

    Butch Jones has richly earned his title, The Archbishop of Talentbury

    After reading all the horrible things drinking will do to you....I gave up reading.

  4. #43
    BamaNation Hall of Fame selmaborntidefan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    19,072

    Re: Sources: LSU hoops coach on wiretap discussing 'offer'

    Quote Originally Posted by AUDub View Post
    Wouldn't argue that at all.

    If there is one thing we learned from all that, do not, at all, cooperate with the NCAA. Mizzou learned that the hard way. They'll nail you to the wall either way. Circle the wagons and make them dig up the dirt.

    Not to disagree because that's true now BUT....


    Alabama tried that in 1995 and we got blasted as being arrogant.
    We DID get the last year removed, and the NZAA forked over a seven-figure settlement to a guy they slandered.


    We co-operated in 2002 and got nailed. Ironically, us and Miss St (2004) did kind of show everyone the way with dealing with the NCAA.

    I''m old enough to recall the NZAA pretty much believing and sanctioning everyone for every single allegation, true or not. I'm with B1G - we don't need the NZAA.
    My New Year's resolution for 2019 is this year I'm not going to drink anymore. I'm not going to drink any less, either.

    I was married for 25 years, but if I'd killed her on the honeymoon, I'd have been out in less than 20.

    Butch Jones has richly earned his title, The Archbishop of Talentbury

    After reading all the horrible things drinking will do to you....I gave up reading.

  5. #44
    BamaNation Hall of Fame AUDub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    I don't roll on Shabbos.
    Posts
    9,638

    Re: Sources: LSU hoops coach on wiretap discussing 'offer'

    Quote Originally Posted by selmaborntidefan View Post
    Not to disagree because that's true now BUT....


    Alabama tried that in 1995 and we got blasted as being arrogant.
    We DID get the last year removed, and the NZAA forked over a seven-figure settlement to a guy they slandered.


    We co-operated in 2002 and got nailed. Ironically, us and Miss St (2004) did kind of show everyone the way with dealing with the NCAA.

    I''m old enough to recall the NZAA pretty much believing and sanctioning everyone for every single allegation, true or not. I'm with B1G - we don't need the NZAA.
    There's a subtle balancing act to making it look like you care. Hell, the NCAA even praised out compliance efforts on the way out the door.
    Just a barner.
    Auburn attempted 40 3 pointers while Tennessee only attempted 15. This kills the one seed.

  6. #45
    BamaNation Hall of Fame AUDub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    I don't roll on Shabbos.
    Posts
    9,638

    Re: Sources: LSU hoops coach on wiretap discussing 'offer'

    Quote Originally Posted by selmaborntidefan View Post
    Incredible.


    I go over there and the FIRST THING I see from the LSU board is a thread attacking an inspirational speech maker who has BEEN DEAD FOR TWENTY-SIX YEARS......Jim Valvano.


    You see, Valvano's PLAYERS selling NCAA tourney tix for profit on their own is somehow HIS fault.......but.......they're too stupid to see the coach HIMSELF on tape making an offer is light years away from Valvano's situation.


    Un-freaking-believable.....
    It's hilarious. They circle the wagons then the fan base sets said wagons on fire.
    Just a barner.
    Auburn attempted 40 3 pointers while Tennessee only attempted 15. This kills the one seed.

  7. #46
    BamaNation Hall of Fame AUDub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    I don't roll on Shabbos.
    Posts
    9,638

    Re: Sources: LSU hoops coach on wiretap discussing 'offer'

    LOL we just knocked off UT, all but guaranteeing LSU the SEC title. Enjoy your soon to be yanked ill-gotten gains, LSU.
    Just a barner.
    Auburn attempted 40 3 pointers while Tennessee only attempted 15. This kills the one seed.

  8. #47
    BamaNation First Team
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Homewood
    Posts
    493

    Re: Sources: LSU hoops coach on wiretap discussing 'offer'

    Quote Originally Posted by crimsonaudio View Post
    We're just beginning to see details trickle out from this investigation - I suspect no on his safe, blue blood or not.

    If the NCAA has no issue with going after OSU, USC, and Bama in football then it's not about protecting blue bloods...
    Maybe so, but the NCAA owns rights to the NCAA men's basketball tourney. So, they would have a vested interest in not hurting the TV ratings by excluding the basketball blue bloods. Which is, in my opinion, an obvious conflict of interests. But who is going to regulate the NCAA???? No one obviously.

  9. #48
    BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    21,060

    Re: Sources: LSU hoops coach on wiretap discussing 'offer'

    Quote Originally Posted by AUDub View Post
    There's a subtle balancing act to making it look like you care. Hell, the NCAA even praised out compliance efforts on the way out the door.
    I don't think that it had anything to do with that. You were lucky. They investigated Auburn during a period in which they had no stomach for sanctions. Had that investigation taken place 10 years earlier, you would have been slammed. They do not need evidence - they just need to believe that it happened, and every credible person walking the planet believes that it happened.

  10. #49
    BamaNation Hall of Fame selmaborntidefan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    19,072

    Re: Sources: LSU hoops coach on wiretap discussing 'offer'

    Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    I don't think that it had anything to do with that. You were lucky. They investigated Auburn during a period in which they had no stomach for sanctions. Had that investigation taken place 10 years earlier, you would have been slammed. They do not need evidence - they just need to believe that it happened, and every credible person walking the planet believes that it happened.

    This was always my problem with them. It wasn't that we didn't need oversight, it was how someone who wanted to get even with a school because his career didn't pan out could go make up stuff. That's exactly what Gene Jelks did to us. Yes, he was paid by some Auburn fans who - in the delusional world that many fans inhabit - convinced themselves of a conspiracy where Alabama hired Eric Ramsey to make up allegations because we couldn't beat Pat Dye. (Not one can explain to me how we managed to get the Auburn coaches to make money offers on tape to Ramsey). So they got Jelks, who needed money. He made up a bunch of lies about us and got the NCAA snooping - and while they were is when the L'affaire Langham happened, and we got slugged.


    Auburn got bombed by the NCAA in 1993.....probably harder than they should have to be honest with you.
    Did they deserve sanctions? Yes
    TV ban? No

    I think Auburn benefited from something else - the NCAA spent four years investigating USC over the Reggie Bush deal. When that began in 2006, the NCAA had been through the ringer with us and Miss State. By the time it finished in 2010, they had no stomach for another protracted battle.

    When a lot of our fans were posting here about the Cam scandal, they were using their life experiences with the NCAA. By that time, the NCAA was a - pardon the pun - paper tiger.

    And as I'm sure you recall......Auburn's scandal was covered up in the news by the then emerging Ohio State Tattoo Scandal.
    My New Year's resolution for 2019 is this year I'm not going to drink anymore. I'm not going to drink any less, either.

    I was married for 25 years, but if I'd killed her on the honeymoon, I'd have been out in less than 20.

    Butch Jones has richly earned his title, The Archbishop of Talentbury

    After reading all the horrible things drinking will do to you....I gave up reading.

  11. #50
    BamaNation Hall of Fame 230kv_barehand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    7,222

    Re: Sources: LSU hoops coach on wiretap discussing 'offer'

    Quote Originally Posted by 4Q Basket Case View Post
    It does. But so did UNC, and they skated. Ole Miss was 100% busted, and they got a love tap on the wrist. Don't get me started on Auburn and Cam.
    UNC was different, they were not paying players and Roy Williams himself had no idea about the class in question. The class was taken advantage of by students and athletes alike. Big difference between a class and a bagman like with $cammy or ole $i$$ snatch and grabbing recruits who didn't even visit.
    I need you out there slinging coconuts and pineapples!

  12. #51
    FB|BB Moderator NationalTitles17's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Mountainous Northern California
    Posts
    12,224

    Re: Sources: LSU hoops coach on wiretap discussing 'offer'

    Bring it all above board:

    Let the players sell their name/likeness with the exception the school can use any way it wants when they sign.vLet them do advertisements. Pay a stipend. Let the open market determine their value. But make them report every penny.

    Until then, play by the rules or pay the price for breaking the rules.
    Roll Tide Roll!!!

    The TideFan formerly known as NationalTitles16, NationalTitles15, NationalTitles14, NationalTitles13, and NationalTitles12.

  13. #52
    BamaNation All-SEC
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Marietta, GA
    Posts
    1,690

    Re: Sources: LSU hoops coach on wiretap discussing 'offer'

    Quote Originally Posted by AUDub View Post
    Wouldn't argue that at all.

    If there is one thing we learned from all that, do not, at all, cooperate with the NCAA. Mizzou learned that the hard way. They'll nail you to the wall either way. Circle the wagons and make them dig up the dirt.
    I'd agree with this fully............nobody should cooperate with them on anything

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

TideFansStore.com Bama Gear

Alabama Crimson Tide gear at Fanatics.com