Sources: LSU hoops coach on wiretap discussing 'offer'

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
ESPN a report on LSU Basketball Coach Will Wade said:
"Dude," Wade continued during the call, "I went to [the handler] with a [expletive] strong-ass offer about a month ago. [Expletive] strong.

"The problem was, I know why he didn't take it now. It was [expletive] tilted toward the family a little bit. It was tilted toward taking care of the mom, taking care of the kid. Like it was tilted towards that. Now I know for a fact he didn't explain everything to the mom. I know now, he didn't get enough of the piece of the pie in the deal."

"It was a [expletive] hell of a [expletive] offer," Wade continued. "Hell of an offer. ... Especially for a kid who is going to be a two- or three-year kid."

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...72/sources-lsu-coach-wiretap-discussing-offer
This has been discussed on our hoops board but I want to relate it to what we had to go through in the 2000s when we were “staring down the barrel of a shotgun” with the NCAAs pompous and corrupt staff.

How do the schools involved in these schemes not get the death penalty when they have them ON A FRIGGIN RECORDING talking about “deals” and “offers”?

Add that to the fact that Mark Schlabach is reporting that “LSU will ride out the rest of the season with Wade as coach.”

Somebody explain to me the NCAAs impotence. I’m getting mad again thinking about their arrogance toward us and their non existence in 2019.

Pathetic.

Last edited:

CrimsonTheory

All-American
Mar 26, 2012
CrimsonBleedRed
NCAA is going to be so mad, that they will take it out on UC Sunnydale.

In some cases they don't enforce there rules, in other cases, they seemed to be making up the rules as they are going along. So joking aside, why do we need the NCAA again?

LSUgrad2BamaDad

All-SEC
May 5, 2016
Destrehan, LA
I think the ncaa is singling out a little guy (let’s face it, we are no basketball blue blood) to try to make an example of, while turning a blind eye and essentially protecting the big ones.

Fight on WW!

BamaNation

Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
I think the ncaa is singling out a little guy (let’s face it, we are no basketball blue blood) to try to make an example of, while turning a blind eye and essentially protecting the big ones.

Fight on WW!
I think my take on this is a little different ;)

You have a coach who is caught on tape discussing a deal and complaining about the player's runner not taking the deal. LSU is keeping the coach employed rather than suspending until details come out. NCAA has said nada bumpkis that I can find. There's so much wrong here, I'm not sure where to start.

1) I don't want a coach who does this. Some of y'all are cynical and in the "but everybody does it" mentality which is definitely not the reason to do something.

2) If this is what has to be done to get good players to play the game, go find me only adequate players who don't want to be paid to play. OR stop playing the game.

3) The current rules don't allow payment of players. Maybe they should, but they don't. It's quite simple.

4) LSU continuing to let him coach may say more about them than we knew in the past.

5) What idiot uses a phone to conduct this corruption? Makes me question overall IQ of the coach.

6) Echoing what others have said, the NCAA's overall level of competence and consistency and character is near absolute zero. I would put it lower than the scumbags who are participating in these corrupt practices.

7) You're probably right about the big guy/little guy sentiments.

trenda

Hall of Fame
May 17, 2000
Hendersonville, TN USA
I imagine if LSU were 16-14, WW would be gone; but, since they have a shot at making a Final Four run, he's still on the bench.

Which DOES say a whole lot about LSU; but I also imagine a majority of schools would be doing the same in this situation. It's all about winning. And for the ones who don't get to the Elite Eight/Final Four very often, you know you're getting busted anyway so why not continue the run?

College basketball is a dirty business and has been for some time.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

Fight on WW!
You are trying to apply logic (though a bit twisted in an effort to defend your school) to an institution that is beyond reason. The NCAA is a corrupt institution that just needs to go away.

DogPatch

Suspended
Dec 4, 2018
Tuscaloosa
After seeing how the NCAA handled the Scam Newton/Mississippi State "deal," I have no faith whatsoever that they will ever do the right thing ever again.

LSUgrad2BamaDad

All-SEC
May 5, 2016
Destrehan, LA
One thing to remember is that our idiot AD is the same guy who cancelled Duke’s lacrosse season amid public pressure and not believing in his team. We all know how that turned out.

Bamanation - I understand your points, I really do. I wish and hope college athletics is pure, but I know in reality, rules are being broken all over the place.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
MIZZOU got hammered , while LSU/ WADE will have to run stadium steps! Today’s NCAA!

I’m sure that somewhere in Tiggerland, Bama is being mentioned as getting way with murder in football!

Last edited:

BamaNation

Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
One thing to remember is that our idiot AD is the same guy who cancelled Duke’s lacrosse season amid public pressure and not believing in his team. We all know how that turned out.

Bamanation - I understand your points, I really do. I wish and hope college athletics is pure, but I know in reality, rules are being broken all over the place.
These things are like whack-a-mole. You gotta squash'em as soon as you see'em -- knowing they will reappear all over the place. Allowing him to continue coaching when he's on tape talking about the deal seems really short-sighted. In the Duke deal, the AD (and the national media) believed the stripper without any corroborating evidence whatsoever.

That said, any coach who condones, promotes, encourages, or participates in pay-to-play schemes should be banned from coaching - at all levels - for life.

Here's what I think should be done (pie-in-the-sky):

1) Banish the NCAA to the 7th level of Hell where it wants to exist anyway.
2) Create what I'll call Division 4: This would be the 4 major conferences + 2 mid-majors that are worth anything and their CURRENT teams.
3) NO OTHER TEAMS WOULD BE ALLOWED TO JOIN DIVISION 4 WITHOUT A SIGNIFICANT CONTRIBUTION SPREAD AMONGST ALL OTHER D4 TEAMS (I'm thinking on the order of $250 Million to $1 Billion)
4) No team could change conferences without a SIGNIFICANT contribution to all other teams in all conferences ($100M to $500M)
4) No D4 team could play ANY OTHER team - ever - in any sport.
5) 35% of Revenue generated in D4 would go to pay players.
6) If a player is paid, s/he cannot change schools unless s/he has a degree in hand - in any sport.
7) If players want to be paid, then they are now professionals and must sign and adhere to contracts & contract laws. I've got a whole list of things I would add here (drug testing, kicked off team and thus no more pay for players who violate rules about violence, sexual abuse, cheating, etc etc).
8) Players who are kicked off team are ineligible to play in D4 for life.

9) Create degrees in the various sports. Actors can major in acting, musicians can major in music, why shouldn't athletes major in a sport? OR eliminate the whole academic thing altogether and have players just be representatives of a school. Radical, I know.

You want to straighten up college sports and college athletes? Hold them & their coaches and administrations accountable at a very high level. If you want to be paid, you've got to establish very high standards from the outset. Let anyone else go to the lesser schools or good luck making a pro team.

Harsh? Yes. But I'm tired of this nonsense. It's time to stop pretending.

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Fight on WW!
Unless I missed something in the last 12 hours, the NCAA hasn't done a thing. It's the FBI that has the recording.

pigsinspace

1st Team
Jan 26, 2011
Unless I missed something in the last 12 hours, the NCAA hasn't done a thing. It's the FBI that has the recording.
The NCAA doesn't want to mess with March Madness, which is their cash cow, so they will do little to nothing in regards to the corruption in men's basketball.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
This has been discussed on our hoops board but I want to relate it to what we had to go through in the 2000s when we were “staring down the barrel of a shotgun” with the NCAAs pompous and corrupt staff.

How do the schools involved in these schemes not get the death penalty when they have them ON A FRIGGIN RECORDING talking about “deals” and “offers”?

Add that to the fact that Mark Schlabach is reporting that “LSU will ride out the rest of the season with Wade as coach.”

Somebody explain to me the NCAAs impotence. I’m getting mad again thinking about their arrogance toward us and their non existence in 2019.

Pathetic.
After watching these situations play out for years, my opinion is that the programs who cooperate with the NCAA in an effort to correct any misdeeds get hammered by the NCAA right after the NCAA pats the particular university's compliance department on the back for their transparency. The universities who lawyer up and basically flip off the NCAA get nothing or very little because the NCAA has little or no proof that would be admissible in court if the university sued the NCAA. The NCAA should have gone in a different direction with these situations and shown some mercy for those who were transparent and seemed to want to correct issues and hammered those who "lawyered" up. As usual, the lawyers will make money and laugh all the way to the bank while the really guilty laugh about how they got away with something. Of course, that's just how I see it.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
With that kind of money floating around, it's hard to see how paying players ends corruption.
It won't. Throw in that many states are now legalizing gambling, and it will only get worse because no matter how much some folks have or make, they always think they deserve more. Greed will only breed more corruption. I wish they would let the NBA take kids out of high school and let them worry about developing those guys. If a kid is willing to play ball in exchange for an education, let them do so with the understanding that it is a very fair trade.
I'm not one who thinks the NCAA needs to go away, though, because I can't even imagine how much cheating would take place if there is no entity in charge of policing the situation. I don't like how the NCAA applies their "justice", but they do at least apply some.

Last edited:

BamaNation

Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
It won't. Throw in that many states are now legalizing gambling, and it will only get worse because no matter how much some has or makes, they always think they deserve more. Greed will only breed more corruption. I wish they would let the NBA take kids out of high school and let them worry about developing those guys. If a kid is willing to play ball in exchange for an education, let them do so with the understanding that it is a very fair trade.
I'm not one who thinks the NCAA needs to go away, though, because I can't even imagine how much cheating would take place if there is no entity in charge of policing the situation. I don't like how the NCAA applies their "justice", but they do at least apply some.
Of course you’re correct. Thus the reason you make it a contractual relationship with harsh penalties for violating the agreement.

So many athletes are kids who by reasonable academic standards would never be allowed into major colleges. The last 10 years have created better academic accountability and coaches like CNS hold players accountable but he is rare because he also wins at an extraordinary rate.

I’m not sure what an actually actionable change is going to be but Im sure I will like it less than what I propose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.