Sources: LSU hoops coach on wiretap discussing 'offer'

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
The fact you're one of the few people honest enough to at least josh about this and smile actually raises my immense respect for you and your honesty.

And FTR - while I have no doubt Cam (or Daddy) was paid, I was never an advocate of "Auburn is getting the death penalty" or even stripping of the national title. The dollar bills never made a TD pass or a tackle.

I have two other Auburn friends who have been basically the same about it. One - and we have a good time sparring back and forth - admits the payment though minimizes it with "Daddy was paid but yeah."

I have another Auburn grad friend (Engineering) who thought Auburn DID deserve the death penalty for the Eric Ramsey scandal.
That was a similar smoking gun to this one with Will Wade.
Wouldn't argue that at all.

If there is one thing we learned from all that, do not, at all, cooperate with the NCAA. Mizzou learned that the hard way. They'll nail you to the wall either way. Circle the wagons and make them dig up the dirt.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
tRant is more fun than a barrel of monkeys right now.
Incredible.

I go over there and the FIRST THING I see from the LSU board is a thread attacking an inspirational speech maker who has BEEN DEAD FOR TWENTY-SIX YEARS......Jim Valvano.

You see, Valvano's PLAYERS selling NCAA tourney tix for profit on their own is somehow HIS fault.......but.......they're too stupid to see the coach HIMSELF on tape making an offer is light years away from Valvano's situation.

Un-freaking-believable.....

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

If there is one thing we learned from all that, do not, at all, cooperate with the NCAA. Mizzou learned that the hard way. They'll nail you to the wall either way. Circle the wagons and make them dig up the dirt.

Not to disagree because that's true now BUT....

Alabama tried that in 1995 and we got blasted as being arrogant.
We DID get the last year removed, and the NZAA forked over a seven-figure settlement to a guy they slandered.

We co-operated in 2002 and got nailed. Ironically, us and Miss St (2004) did kind of show everyone the way with dealing with the NCAA.

I''m old enough to recall the NZAA pretty much believing and sanctioning everyone for every single allegation, true or not. I'm with B1G - we don't need the NZAA.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Not to disagree because that's true now BUT....

Alabama tried that in 1995 and we got blasted as being arrogant.
We DID get the last year removed, and the NZAA forked over a seven-figure settlement to a guy they slandered.

We co-operated in 2002 and got nailed. Ironically, us and Miss St (2004) did kind of show everyone the way with dealing with the NCAA.

I''m old enough to recall the NZAA pretty much believing and sanctioning everyone for every single allegation, true or not. I'm with B1G - we don't need the NZAA.
There's a subtle balancing act to making it look like you care. Hell, the NCAA even praised out compliance efforts on the way out the door.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Incredible.

I go over there and the FIRST THING I see from the LSU board is a thread attacking an inspirational speech maker who has BEEN DEAD FOR TWENTY-SIX YEARS......Jim Valvano.

You see, Valvano's PLAYERS selling NCAA tourney tix for profit on their own is somehow HIS fault.......but.......they're too stupid to see the coach HIMSELF on tape making an offer is light years away from Valvano's situation.

Un-freaking-believable.....
It's hilarious. They circle the wagons then the fan base sets said wagons on fire.

bamafaninbham

All-SEC
Jul 19, 2004
Homewood
We're just beginning to see details trickle out from this investigation - I suspect no on his safe, blue blood or not.

If the NCAA has no issue with going after OSU, USC, and Bama in football then it's not about protecting blue bloods...
Maybe so, but the NCAA owns rights to the NCAA men's basketball tourney. So, they would have a vested interest in not hurting the TV ratings by excluding the basketball blue bloods. Which is, in my opinion, an obvious conflict of interests. But who is going to regulate the NCAA???? No one obviously.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
There's a subtle balancing act to making it look like you care. Hell, the NCAA even praised out compliance efforts on the way out the door.
I don't think that it had anything to do with that. You were lucky. They investigated Auburn during a period in which they had no stomach for sanctions. Had that investigation taken place 10 years earlier, you would have been slammed. They do not need evidence - they just need to believe that it happened, and every credible person walking the planet believes that it happened.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I don't think that it had anything to do with that. You were lucky. They investigated Auburn during a period in which they had no stomach for sanctions. Had that investigation taken place 10 years earlier, you would have been slammed. They do not need evidence - they just need to believe that it happened, and every credible person walking the planet believes that it happened.

This was always my problem with them. It wasn't that we didn't need oversight, it was how someone who wanted to get even with a school because his career didn't pan out could go make up stuff. That's exactly what Gene Jelks did to us. Yes, he was paid by some Auburn fans who - in the delusional world that many fans inhabit - convinced themselves of a conspiracy where Alabama hired Eric Ramsey to make up allegations because we couldn't beat Pat Dye. (Not one can explain to me how we managed to get the Auburn coaches to make money offers on tape to Ramsey). So they got Jelks, who needed money. He made up a bunch of lies about us and got the NCAA snooping - and while they were is when the L'affaire Langham happened, and we got slugged.

Auburn got bombed by the NCAA in 1993.....probably harder than they should have to be honest with you.
Did they deserve sanctions? Yes
TV ban? No

I think Auburn benefited from something else - the NCAA spent four years investigating USC over the Reggie Bush deal. When that began in 2006, the NCAA had been through the ringer with us and Miss State. By the time it finished in 2010, they had no stomach for another protracted battle.

When a lot of our fans were posting here about the Cam scandal, they were using their life experiences with the NCAA. By that time, the NCAA was a - pardon the pun - paper tiger.

And as I'm sure you recall......Auburn's scandal was covered up in the news by the then emerging Ohio State Tattoo Scandal.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
It does. But so did UNC, and they skated. Ole Miss was 100% busted, and they got a love tap on the wrist. Don't get me started on Auburn and Cam.
UNC was different, they were not paying players and Roy Williams himself had no idea about the class in question. The class was taken advantage of by students and athletes alike. Big difference between a class and a bagman like with $cammy or ole $i$$ snatch and grabbing recruits who didn't even visit.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Bring it all above board:

Let the players sell their name/likeness with the exception the school can use any way it wants when they sign.vLet them do advertisements. Pay a stipend. Let the open market determine their value. But make them report every penny.

Until then, play by the rules or pay the price for breaking the rules.

Evil Crimson Dragon

Hall of Fame
Feb 4, 2018
Marietta, GA

I'd agree with this fully............nobody should cooperate with them on anything

Evil Crimson Dragon

Hall of Fame
Feb 4, 2018
Marietta, GA
This was always my problem with them. It wasn't that we didn't need oversight, it was how someone who wanted to get even with a school because his career didn't pan out could go make up stuff. That's exactly what Gene Jelks did to us. Yes, he was paid by some Auburn fans who - in the delusional world that many fans inhabit - convinced themselves of a conspiracy where Alabama hired Eric Ramsey to make up allegations because we couldn't beat Pat Dye. (Not one can explain to me how we managed to get the Auburn coaches to make money offers on tape to Ramsey). So they got Jelks, who needed money. He made up a bunch of lies about us and got the NCAA snooping - and while they were is when the L'affaire Langham happened, and we got slugged.

Auburn got bombed by the NCAA in 1993.....probably harder than they should have to be honest with you.
Did they deserve sanctions? Yes
TV ban? No

I think Auburn benefited from something else - the NCAA spent four years investigating USC over the Reggie Bush deal. When that began in 2006, the NCAA had been through the ringer with us and Miss State. By the time it finished in 2010, they had no stomach for another protracted battle.

When a lot of our fans were posting here about the Cam scandal, they were using their life experiences with the NCAA. By that time, the NCAA was a - pardon the pun - paper tiger.

And as I'm sure you recall......Auburn's scandal was covered up in the news by the then emerging Ohio State Tattoo Scandal.
Believe it or not, I had an encounter with one Gene Jelks in a Kroger of all places..................he was a department manager, and saw my Bama shirt and stopped and talked.........but he didn't seem too keen on talking about any of that

Last edited:

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
UNC was different, they were not paying players and Roy Williams himself had no idea about the class in question. The class was taken advantage of by students and athletes alike. Big difference between a class and a bagman like with $cammy or ole $i$$ snatch and grabbing recruits who didn't even visit.
UNC committed broad scale academic fraud within African American Studies. It wasn’t just “a single class”. It was multiple classes with little or no academic oversight. Multiple “independent study” courses were the department administrative assistant was assigning grades. African American Studies was basically a shadow curriculum.

UNC skated because, while a large percentage of those within AFAM studies were student athletes, there were non student athletes with availability to and enrolled in those courses. Therefore, it wasn’t an “extra benefit” because it was available to the study body in general. Never mind that student athletes were steered to that curriculum for 20 years.

Last edited:

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.