Link: Harvey Updyke, Alabama-Auburn rivalry subject of upcoming CBS podcast
    Publisher, TideFans.com &
    Benevolent Dictator

ThumbsDown Harvey Updyke, Alabama-Auburn rivalry subject of upcoming CBS podcast

Quote Originally Posted by The Tuscaloosa News
    Updyke, the oaks and the football rivalry between Alabama and Auburn will be explored in an upcoming episode of Rocca’s podcast, “Mobituaries,” which will be released Friday morning. The podcast, which is produced by CBS News and Simon & Schuster, explores notable deaths, from Sammy Davis Jr. to the Neanderthals. As of Wednesday, “Mobituaries” was ranked 31st on the iTunes Top Charts for podcasts.

https://www.tuscaloosanews.com/news/...ng-cbs-podcast
    This story (and it's never-ending recycling) is like catnip for lame brains in the national media. They try to "understand" Updyke (and somehow the "Alabama-Auburn rivalry" through him). Here's how you understand him: you don't and you don't relate it to the rivalry. It's one madman who did something evil, was stupid/narcissistic enough to brag about it on a radio show, and apparently has learned next to nothing about himself in the meantime. His failure to pay even a little amount to Auburn in the last year means he is violating his parole, right?

Count me in with Finebaum's explanation of those who want nothing to do with him.

BamaNation Third Team

Re: Harvey Updyke, Alabama-Auburn rivalry subject of upcoming CBS podcast

Quote Originally Posted by BamaNation View Post
    This story (and it's never-ending recycling) is like catnip for lame brains in the national media. They try to "understand" Updyke (and somehow the "Alabama-Auburn rivalry" through him). Here's how you understand him: you don't and you don't relate it to the rivalry. It's one madman who did something evil, was stupid/narcissistic enough to brag about it on a radio show, and apparently has learned next to nothing about himself in the meantime. His failure to pay even a little amount to Auburn in the last year means he is violating his parole, right?

Count me in with Finebaum's explanation of those who want nothing to do with him.
    Please let this story die, CBS. Minus Updyke, the Alabama and Auburn rivalry, for football, is perfect. It has everything you need. A healthy level of hatred, a 60-40 record balance, and each team pulling off some massive upsets. While in my head I know for the rivalry to function, we have to lose around 40% of the games, that doesn't mean I like it. It's a perfect rivalry. And then there's Updyke...the only reason we count him among us is because we can't change his fandom...and I have to believe that ALL of us would chose to if we could. Man, i hate that guy.

(I mention the records because the Texas vs aTm thing isn't really a rivalry to me as it is a complete dominance by one side...like us vs Ole Miss. Or, to hop to a different sport, Alabama vs. Auburn in gymnastics isn't a rivalry. A rival doesn't lose 117 straight times.)

Edit: can't spell.

"I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson

BamaNation Hall of Fame 81usaf92's Avatar

I thought the 30 for 30 “ the ballad of Harvey Updike” ,AKA RTWE, was enough. I was living in Nebraska at the time that aired and had to explain over and over again to no avail that most Alabama fans aren’t like Updyke, 7 nation mom, and the Krystal man and that the putting “damn” in between the chant is an Auburn thing.

I wish Lee Co would’ve locked him up and threw away the key for some charge that would carry some serious jail time. Now we have to hear how he is unable to pay and how he had “too much Bama” in him. He is a domestic terrorist that used Alabama to justify his sick fantasy. Not a Alabama fan

BamaNation All-American gtowntide's Avatar

I wish Updike would just go away, or maybe flip to the barn.

BamaNation All-American TheRealPokeChop's Avatar

Updyke auburn and cbs all belong in a shallow grave.

BamaNation Hall of Fame DzynKingRTR's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gtowntide View Post
    I wish Updike would just go away, or maybe flip to the barn.
    The media and auburn fans will never allow him to just go away.
    Architects do it with models.

Roll Tide Roll

BamaNation All-American CrimsonTheory's Avatar

He was never a "Bama Fan", simply a moron hiding behind the Bama shield. I wish the media would stop grouping this idiot with the good, die-hard Bama fans.
    the former CrimsonBleedRed.

BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonTheory View Post
    He was never a "Bama Fan", simply a moron hiding behind the Bama shield. I wish the media would stop grouping this idiot with the good, die-hard Bama fans.
    From what I have read, he is clearly an Alabama fan. He is also an idiot who cannot control his baser impulses. Every fan base has it idiots, and felons. But I wish that people would stop talking about him. He does not deserve the coverage.