Link: Harvey Updyke, Alabama-Auburn rivalry subject of upcoming CBS podcast

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
The Tuscaloosa News said:
Updyke, the oaks and the football rivalry between Alabama and Auburn will be explored in an upcoming episode of Rocca’s podcast, “Mobituaries,” which will be released Friday morning. The podcast, which is produced by CBS News and Simon & Schuster, explores notable deaths, from Sammy Davis Jr. to the Neanderthals. As of Wednesday, “Mobituaries” was ranked 31st on the iTunes Top Charts for podcasts.

https://www.tuscaloosanews.com/news...uburn-rivalry-subject-of-upcoming-cbs-podcast
This story (and it's never-ending recycling) is like catnip for lame brains in the national media. They try to "understand" Updyke (and somehow the "Alabama-Auburn rivalry" through him). Here's how you understand him: you don't and you don't relate it to the rivalry. It's one madman who did something evil, was stupid/narcissistic enough to brag about it on a radio show, and apparently has learned next to nothing about himself in the meantime. His failure to pay even a little amount to Auburn in the last year means he is violating his parole, right?

Count me in with Finebaum's explanation of those who want nothing to do with him.

Tubafore

Scout Team
Dec 13, 2018
Huntsville, AL
This story (and it's never-ending recycling) is like catnip for lame brains in the national media. They try to "understand" Updyke (and somehow the "Alabama-Auburn rivalry" through him). Here's how you understand him: you don't and you don't relate it to the rivalry. It's one madman who did something evil, was stupid/narcissistic enough to brag about it on a radio show, and apparently has learned next to nothing about himself in the meantime. His failure to pay even a little amount to Auburn in the last year means he is violating his parole, right?

Count me in with Finebaum's explanation of those who want nothing to do with him.
Please let this story die, CBS. Minus Updyke, the Alabama and Auburn rivalry, for football, is perfect. It has everything you need. A healthy level of hatred, a 60-40 record balance, and each team pulling off some massive upsets. While in my head I know for the rivalry to function, we have to lose around 40% of the games, that doesn't mean I like it. It's a perfect rivalry. And then there's Updyke...the only reason we count him among us is because we can't change his fandom...and I have to believe that ALL of us would chose to if we could. Man, i hate that guy.

(I mention the records because the Texas vs aTm thing isn't really a rivalry to me as it is a complete dominance by one side...like us vs Ole Miss. Or, to hop to a different sport, Alabama vs. Auburn in gymnastics isn't a rivalry. A rival doesn't lose 117 straight times.)

Edit: can't spell.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I thought the 30 for 30 “ the ballad of Harvey Updike” ,AKA RTWE, was enough. I was living in Nebraska at the time that aired and had to explain over and over again to no avail that most Alabama fans aren’t like Updyke, 7 nation mom, and the Krystal man and that the putting “damn” in between the chant is an Auburn thing.

I wish Lee Co would’ve locked him up and threw away the key for some charge that would carry some serious jail time. Now we have to hear how he is unable to pay and how he had “too much Bama” in him. He is a domestic terrorist that used Alabama to justify his sick fantasy. Not a Alabama fan

CrimsonTheory

All-American
Mar 26, 2012
CrimsonBleedRed
He was never a "Bama Fan", simply a moron hiding behind the Bama shield. I wish the media would stop grouping this idiot with the good, die-hard Bama fans.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
He was never a "Bama Fan", simply a moron hiding behind the Bama shield. I wish the media would stop grouping this idiot with the good, die-hard Bama fans.
From what I have read, he is clearly an Alabama fan. He is also an idiot who cannot control his baser impulses. Every fan base has it idiots, and felons. But I wish that people would stop talking about him. He does not deserve the coverage.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I haven’t heard the Updyke one yet, but the others I have heard from this series are pretty good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Meh, it is what it is.

Long ago I decided that I wasn't going to get too upset about these sorts fo stories. That's precisely why they're made - to inflame.

Screw 'em, I won't watch or listen.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
This is what irks me. National media wants to make it out like Updyke is your typical Alabama fan. While I know there is a portion of our fellow fans who would rather see Auburn lose than Alabama win, nobody other than this clown has done something like this in the name of the rivalry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.