2019 Spring Practice Thread

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
If you listen to what Saban says, and at least as importantly, what he doesn't say, you can usually get a pretty truthful picture of what's going on with the team.

If he expresses anything other than total confidence that Kaho will play again, that's a good indication that Saban thinks he won't play. Probably not anywhere, but highly unlikely in Tuscaloosa.

We as a fanbase need to wish the young men the best, but for different reasons, move on from Duron Carter (a joke at this point, I know), Ben Davis, and now Ale Kaho.

Let's concentrate on who can contribute, not who can't.

Last edited:

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Who's to say that both can't contribute this year?
Regarding Kaho, Saban is quoted as saying publicly he doesn't know if there will be a time he will be ready to come back and play football or not. A public statement like that isn't encouraging.

Regarding Davis, it looks like he has shin splints, and won't be able to participate in spring practice to any meaningful extent. He's in his fourth year in the program, hasn't sniffed meaningful playing time, hasn't even gotten much, if any, garbage time, has been passed by multiple younger players, and Saban has said nothing to indicate anything has changed.

A sad state of affairs in view of their God-given talent, but draw your own conclusions.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
A puzzling article. On the one hand, says Kaho is expected back at prqctice. On the other, it gives Saban's statement about not knowing when or if he'll be ready for football.

Whatever the young man is dealing with, I hope he conquers it, and gets to use his talents to the fullest. I'm just not sure his full concentration is on football and school.

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
A puzzling article. On the one hand, says Kaho is expected back at prqctice. On the other, it gives Saban's statement about not knowing when or if he'll be ready for football.

Whatever the young man is dealing with, I hope he conquers it, and gets to use his talents to the fullest. I'm just not sure his full concentration is on football and school.
Maybe something changed for the better. I hope so.

Last edited by a moderator:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

I took the use of Saban’s statement to give what little background to the story that could be given.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
Maybe he is trying harder?
https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/shin-splints/symptoms-causes/syc-20354105

Medically known as medial tibial stress syndrome, shin splints often occur in athletes who have recently intensified or changed their training routines. The increased activity overworks the muscles, tendons and bone tissue.
he also added a lot of weight this offseason, so that can put a good bit of additional stress on the lower legs until they get used to it.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
Davis is looking more and more like a bust, strictly in terms of expectations.
relative to the expectations, I'd say he's already a 'bust'. He was the highest rated recruit in our 2016 signing class, ahead of Jonah, Mack, Quinnen, Jacobs and Irv Smith and he's not really even cracked the 2 deep.

There's still time for him to contribute, but with his ratings the expectation would have been for him to be a heavy special teams contributor in year one. I get the injury set him back, so then let's say a lot of ST work for him in year 2, and we are past season 3 and he's not so much as covered a punt or kickoff.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
I see as a fan base we’re already in mid season form.
Page 1 and we have the QB1 question,
Duron Carter reference, Jimmy Johns position change, and of course the depth chart challenge.

I love this place!!!!
Rumor is that they are practing in white helmets with crimson stripe and numerals... ;)

FThomas

1st Team
Oct 18, 2011
I am not sure how a top conditioned athlete gets shin splints. I wish him well, but this is strange.
I find it odd, given that football players are conditioned for short bursts of speed and power, and thus would rarely deal with shin splints. There have been basketball players and soccer players who have missed games due to shin splints (including Kobe Bryant), but those sports involve constant running. I can't see football players actually needing the type of cardio conditioning required of basketball and soccer athletes hat could cause shin splints. So yes, weird to me as well.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.