2019 Spring Practice Thread

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I saw a Twitter video of Tua reflecting on last year. He basically said one thing they didn't do is fix the problems they were having against lesser competition and that caught up to them against better competition. Glad he's aware and willing to correct these mistakes. I think he'll have an outstanding year at QB. I wouldn't be surprised if we don't dial back some of the passing to be more balanced. He may have fewer highlights but we'll probably be better when it counts.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
McMillon has the most time at the position, but I have no idea how he graded out.
Agreed, and when he played last year I was impressed with his alpha-dog capacity. He was easily audible on TV making the calls and checks. NO ONE was confused about the call or wondering what to do which could be a huge step forward from last seasons starter, but I keep hearing there are concerns about his lateral speed and coverage capability.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I saw another video where Tua said Clemson disguised coverages real well. Said they would show something presnap and then change.

We talked at length last year about how Tua made alot of presnap reads and it sounds like Clemson used that against us in their game planning.

So what is Tua's next progression? Sounds like he's got to learn to check his pre-snap read post snap and then be able to move on to what to do is pre-snap is wrong. It'll be interesting to see how other teams use Clemson's defensive game plan against us this year. But I think Tua is driven enough to overcome this, but how quickly he does it will determine how smoothly the '19 offense gels.

gman4tide

All-SEC
Nov 21, 2005
Flint Creek
I saw another video where Tua said Clemson disguised coverages real well. Said they would show something presnap and then change.

We talked at length last year about how Tua made alot of presnap reads and it sounds like Clemson used that against us in their game planning.

So what is Tua's next progression? Sounds like he's got to learn to check his pre-snap read post snap and then be able to move on to what to do is pre-snap is wrong. It'll be interesting to see how other teams use Clemson's defensive game plan against us this year. But I think Tua is driven enough to overcome this, but how quickly he does it will determine how smoothly the '19 offense gels.
Imma say we ground and pound this year to make defenses re-game plan for us. Will open up pass even more for tua!

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

i think they had figured out some his tendencies and were baiting him into bad decisions. the sad/maddening thing is we could have run at will and dink and dunked them all night if we had wanted to.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
i think they had figured out some his tendencies and were baiting him into bad decisions. the sad/maddening thing is we could have run at will and dink and dunked them all night if we had wanted to.
Nailed both of those points. I think Tua grew up a tremendous amount last year and after 2019 will turn into one heck of a Pro.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Even more maddening is "Tidefans" had self-scouted us to know this so why didn't our offensive staff???

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012

The counter to a disguised defense is pretty simple and was wide open in this game: underneath passes or dump off to RBs. Clemson “bailed out” coverage on almost every play meaning they were retreating from the LOS to cover the middle and deep passes that Tua thought would be open due to presnap alignment. This leaves a gaping hole in the defense in the form of short passes..

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.