2019 Spring Practice Thread - Page 4
Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 123456789101114 ... LastLast
    BamaNation First Team

Re: 2019 Spring Practice Thread

Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    I am not sure how a top conditioned athlete gets shin splints. I wish him well, but this is strange.
    I find it odd, given that football players are conditioned for short bursts of speed and power, and thus would rarely deal with shin splints. There have been basketball players and soccer players who have missed games due to shin splints (including Kobe Bryant), but those sports involve constant running. I can't see football players actually needing the type of cardio conditioning required of basketball and soccer athletes hat could cause shin splints. So yes, weird to me as well.

BamaNation All-SEC

Quote Originally Posted by RollTide_HTTR View Post
    Good. Hoping he wins the job next to Moses.

Yep - very good news. Even if he doesn't win the job, just having him there will increase the level of competition and push everyone to be better. I would think he has pretty good odds at winning the spot, unless we end up in a split role kinda like Nico and CJ did where McMillion = Nico and Ale = CJ.

BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaMoon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FThomas View Post
    I find it odd, given that football players are conditioned for short bursts of speed and power, and thus would rarely deal with shin splints. There have been basketball players and soccer players who have missed games due to shin splints (including Kobe Bryant), but those sports involve constant running. I can't see football players actually needing the type of cardio conditioning required of basketball and soccer athletes hat could cause shin splints. So yes, weird to me as well.
    I had a case of shin splints in 9th grade. I could run up and down the court for hours playing pickup games and I did.

Don't know what the treatment is today, but my B'ball coach filled two five gallon buckets about half full of ice, added water to about 3/4 full and made me sit with both legs up to my knees in ice water for about 30 minutes a day. If you haven't done that you ought to try to it. It's real fun...especially the first 10 minutes or so.

Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    I am not sure how a top conditioned athlete gets shin splints. I wish him well, but this is strange.
    i had a bad case of them for about 2 1/2-3 weeks when i was in very good shape and doing a lot of running. in my case, a shoe change that messed a little bit with my stride was the culprit.
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

- George Orwell

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they donít have to worry about the answers.

ó Thomas Pynchon

Quote Originally Posted by BamaMoon View Post
    I had a case of shin splints in 9th grade. I could run up and down the court for hours playing pickup games and I did.

Don't know what the treatment is today, but my B'ball coach filled two five gallon buckets about half full of ice, added water to about 3/4 full and made me sit with both legs up to my knees in ice water for about 30 minutes a day. If you haven't done that you ought to try to it. It's real fun...especially the first 10 minutes or so.
    that's pretty much how i fixed them. good times
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

- George Orwell

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they donít have to worry about the answers.

ó Thomas Pynchon

Where ever there's BBQ, Crawfish & Football

Quote Originally Posted by 92tide View Post
    i had a bad case of them for about 2 1/2-3 weeks when i was in very good shape and doing a lot of running. in my case, a shoe change that messed a little bit with my stride was the culprit.
    Agreed, shin splints aren't necessarily a sign of being out of shape or not properly conditioned. I used to get shin splints all the time but that was because I never rested my body. I went from one organized sport to another, I played A TON of pick-up basketball games on everything from concrete, beat up gym floors to asphalt. And looking back I'm almost certain each time I changed sport or activity, I didn't get the proper footwear either. I basically had one pair of shoes for everything other than cleats and "church" shoes.
    The existence of God isn't determined in the thoughts of man. God exists, no matter what man thinks.

"It cost a lot of money to look this cheap."-Dolly Parton.

"If you ever want to know how good your barbecue is start charging for it"-Myron Mixon

Quote Originally Posted by Bamabuzzard View Post
    Agreed, shin splints aren't necessarily a sign of being out of shape or not properly conditioned. I used to get shin splints all the time but that was because I never rested my body. I went from one organized sport to another, I played A TON of pick-up basketball games on everything from concrete, beat up gym floors to asphalt. And looking back I'm almost certain each time I changed sport or activity, I didn't get the proper footwear either. I basically had one pair of shoes for everything other than cleats and "church" shoes.
    i found out the hard way really quick the importance of good shoes and socks if you are doing a lot of running.

- George Orwell

ó Thomas Pynchon

Where ever there's BBQ, Crawfish & Football

i found out the hard way really quick the importance of good shoes and socks if you are doing a lot of running.
    Yep. It wasn't until after my frontal lobe fully development and connected that the light went off in my thick skull to pay more attention to my footwear. Unfortunately, by then, I'd already put a ton of mileage on by body with bad footwear. Now at 43, the inside of my right knee and other aches, I'm sure, are the consequence.
    The existence of God isn't determined in the thoughts of man. God exists, no matter what man thinks.

"It cost a lot of money to look this cheap."-Dolly Parton.

"If you ever want to know how good your barbecue is start charging for it"-Myron Mixon

BamaNation All-American CoolBreeze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BamaMoon View Post

I got it in basic training at 17 (Mom had to sign) while at Ft. McClellan mid summer of '84. The first couple of weeks I ran with the fast group during pre-dawn pt then it hit. Man that hurts. Doc told me I'd have to pause training...do kp and guard duty for a couple of weeks and set my graduation date back. So I ran with the slow group in the back instead. It was rough but after some time all was good. I just ran through the pain and it worked out for me. But everyone is different.
    "Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the present."

Oogway, Kung Fu Panda

BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar

Amen.

Every reason that I can think of that might lead to shin splints would seem to be covered for a football player at Alabama. Change foot gear - that could definitely cause it if you are not really paying attention to your body, but it is less likely to really hurt him at his age. Heck, I ran in Keds in my teens and 20s. Change your workout routine (adding new strength or speed movements) - I would think that this is closely supervised. Most people that I know who get shin splints get them because they do too much too fast. Can't see that happening for a veteran at Alabama.

I am not judging Ben. I am just saying that it is puzzling.

BamaNation All-American Padreruf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TiderJack View Post
    I had heard about family health issues when he was being recruited so this is no a huge surprise but could be something that keeps him from playing for us unfortunately.
    Kahe says he will be back sooner rather than later...I'm suspecting he fell behind in classwork and CNS would not let him practice until he got his academics together. However, I have no basis in fact for this -- pure speculation. Just glad that he seems to have the desire to do whatever is needed to get back!
    "The greatest evil in the world is not 'not knowing;' it is not knowing that you do not know." Alfred North Whitehead

Quote Originally Posted by Padreruf View Post
    Kahe says he will be back sooner rather than later...I'm suspecting he fell behind in classwork and CNS would not let him practice until he got his academics together. However, I have no basis in fact for this -- pure speculation. Just glad that he seems to have the desire to do whatever is needed to get back!
    Word is a family issue back home in Nevada.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson

BamaNation All-American Padreruf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post
    Word is a family issue back home in Nevada.
    Good...if it is an issue that can be resolved. So much on these young men's plates...
    "The greatest evil in the world is not 'not knowing;' it is not knowing that you do not know." Alfred North Whitehead