2019 Spring Practice Thread

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
That approach cost Alabama a championship, and almost cost you Henry.
That team rushed for 2900 yards and passed for 3200 yards that season. yeldon averaged 6 ypc and drake was at 7.5 ypc. Everyone knew DH could run, but everyone also knew that he was still figuring out the blocking assignments and technique since which is normal for a lot of freshmen. That offense also asked the back to catch the ball quite a bit, which was also something DH was still developing. net, he just was not ready to be inserted more in the regular rotation in an offense that passed to the degree that one did.

In the particular game that cost us the shot at a championship, we rushed for 218 and passed for 277. It was not a lack of offense that day which was the issue. We gave up close to 300 yards rushing and missed two field goals we'd normally hit, and had another blocked, which all led to the tie game and 'that play'.

BamaMark.

1st Team
Jun 21, 2012
That team rushed for 2900 yards and passed for 3200 yards that season. yeldon averaged 6 ypc and drake was at 7.5 ypc. Everyone knew DH could run, but everyone also knew that he was still figuring out the blocking assignments and technique since which is normal for a lot of freshmen. That offense also asked the back to catch the ball quite a bit, which was also something DH was still developing. net, he just was not ready to be inserted more in the regular rotation in an offense that passed to the degree that one did.

In the particular game that cost us the shot at a championship, we rushed for 218 and passed for 277. It was not a lack of offense that day which was the issue. We gave up close to 300 yards rushing and missed two field goals we'd normally hit, and had another blocked, which all led to the tie game and 'that play'.
Nevermind, memory failed me.

Last edited:

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Well, He won't play much first year. I don't think Najee played much his first year. They have to learn to block and etc.. it takes a while for them to figure it out. I expect Sander to play... but not as much as we think.
Najee had 61 carries as a freshman. Jalen led the team, followed by Damien (135) and Bo (124) and Josh had 46 carries. Sanders will most likely be #3 in the rotation and have similar carries to what Najee had, maybe a few more since he will probably get more touches since we will be beating people badly again like we did last year.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

I was thinking about the lack of carries all the way through his Junior year just because he was not a great blocker. Heck, he wasn't a great blocker his junior year, and he won the Heisman. IMO, you lost to OSU in 2014 because you simply would not commit to Henry.

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
I was thinking about the lack of carries all the way through his Junior year just because he was not a great blocker. Heck, he wasn't a great blocker his junior year, and he won the Heisman. IMO, you lost to OSU in 2014 because you simply would not commit to Henry.
Preach.

Fussing about young RBs and blocking is the most pedantic part of spring and fall camp every single year.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
Preach.

Fussing about young RBs and blocking is the most pedantic part of spring and fall camp every single year.
Great word Professor, thank you! And for those like me that had to look it up:

Pedantic means "like a pedant," someone who's too concerned with literal accuracy or formality. It's a negative term that implies someone is showing off book learning or trivia, especially in a tiresome way. You don't want to go antique-shopping with a pedantic friend, who will use the opportunity to bore you with his in-depth knowledge of Chinese porcelain kitty-litter boxes.

Blindside13

All-SEC
Oct 22, 2011
Near the Barn
So I guess no stats have leaked out yet from the scrimmage today? I know they never get officially released but some always seem to find there way on this board.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
So I guess no stats have leaked out yet from the scrimmage today? I know they never get officially released but some always seem to find there way on this board.
This board has been dead this spring compared to the previous years in which I have been a member.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I know that it is early, but I will worry about ILB play until I see improvement with Golding still coaching the group. Saban pointed them out as an area of concern today, after the first scrimmage, though he earlier said that communication was not a problem - just their inconsistent play.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
This board has been dead this spring compared to the previous years in which I have been a member.
Radio guy mentioned the same yesterday. Alabama fans are discussing basketball coaching, and Auburn fans are discussing their basketball team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Radio guy mentioned the same yesterday. Alabama fans are discussing basketball coaching, and Auburn fans are discussing their basketball team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's kinda hard to discuss things when there's nothing being reported/leaked.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I definitely think that is part of it. Last year Alabama had the all-timer of QB battles. Plus, I think the Athletics Department had a rat - or rats - who was leaking stuff too. I think the rats were trapped and removed over the last year or two. Additionally, the position battles are boring things like the entire middle of the defense (LOL).

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I definitely think that is part of it. Last year Alabama had the all-timer of QB battles. Plus, I think the Athletics Department had a rat - or rats - who was leaking stuff too. I think the rats were trapped and removed over the last year or two. Additionally, the position battles are boring things like the entire middle of the defense (LOL).
Or there isn't much to talk about this spring.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Bama fans have lost a bit of swagger with how the season ended and then there's basketball drama.

We know that there is much work to be done if this team is going to reach a championship level of play this coming season.

The #1 QB position is locked down without question going into spring for the first time since 2013. That alone is reason for things to be more quiet than usual.

Not much is making its way off the practice field into the media this spring.

I'm hoping things are quiet because there is a focus on the process.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Can't underrate yearly QB drama:

Sims v. Coker

Coker v. Bateman v. Barnett

Hurts v. Barnett

Hurts v. Tagovailoa

Tagovailoa v. Hurts

5 years of QB battles...whew.

mlh

All-American
Apr 28, 2004
Can't underrate yearly QB drama:

Sims v. Coker

Coker v. Bateman v. Barnett

Hurts v. Barnett

Hurts v. Tagovailoa

Tagovailoa v. Hurts

5 years of QB battles...whew.
Tagovailoa v. Tagovailoa

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.