2019 Spring Practice Thread

BearFan

BamaNation Citizen
Jan 26, 2016
Tulsa, OK
The counter to a disguised defense is pretty simple and was wide open in this game: underneath passes or dump off to RBs. Clemson “bailed out” coverage on almost every play meaning they were retreating from the LOS to cover the middle and deep passes that Tua thought would be open due to presnap alignment. This leaves a gaping hole in the defense in the form of short passes..
My first question is why didn’t some of our so-called elite staff consultants identify this tendency as a weakness likely to be exploited by better defenses prior to the game? And, why couldn’t our highly compensated coaching staff see the problem during the game? We’re they all completely blind to what was obvious to the rest of us?

UAllday

3rd Team
Jan 17, 2018
My first question is why didn’t some of our so-called elite staff consultants identify this tendency as a weakness likely to be exploited by better defenses prior to the game? And, why couldn’t our highly compensated coaching staff see the problem during the game? We’re they all completely blind to what was obvious to the rest of us?
I noticed during the SECCG Enos showing tua on a white board that Jacobs was wide open underneath, this after he tried to force one down the field on third down. The bad habits were already set in by then, Tua actually said this himself just this week.

Last edited:

rtr90

1st Team
Dec 7, 2018
was Pro Day televised for first time? I never have cable in March so dont know if it was earlier. Great to see the players ... was surprised by the physique of ronnie clark ... man he should have been tried at ILB.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Tua was pre conditioned to look for big plays because it had worked all year. It probably didn’t help that Tua hit that bomb pass to JJ in the first quarter which kept his gunslinger mentality alive. It’s a simple correction that we should see Tua progress on this season..

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Tua was pre conditioned to look for big plays because it had worked all year. It probably didn’t help that Tua hit that bomb pass to JJ in the first quarter which kept his gunslinger mentality alive. It’s a simple correction that we should see Tua progress on this season..
I really think Sark will help him here. IIRC Sark tends to get the ball out of the QBs hands fast.

mlh

All-American
Apr 28, 2004
I really think Sark will help him here. IIRC Sark tends to get the ball out of the QBs hands fast.
That's what I'm hoping. That might also reduce the number of times Tua gets hit. We really need him to stay healthy.

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
Tua got caught up in the hype, he was penciled in as the Heisman winner while bombing weak overmatched competition. He never really got any better, never learned how to truly read what was going on after the snap and by the end of the season he was just another QB with a good deep ball. He said himself he never corrected the little things because they were beating people so badly it seemed like he didn't need it. That championship game it came crashing down on him and you could see it on his face after the loss. This kid is a true talent but he's got way more to learn about reading a defense. Everybody's going to do with Clemson did.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Tua got caught up in the hype, he was penciled in as the Heisman winner while bombing weak overmatched competition. He never really got any better, never learned how to truly read what was going on after the snap and by the end of the season he was just another QB with a good deep ball. He said himself he never corrected the little things because they were beating people so badly it seemed like he didn't need it. That championship game it came crashing down on him and you could see it on his face after the loss. This kid is a true talent but he's got way more to learn about reading a defense. Everybody's going to do with Clemson did.
Only a select few teams have the players Clemson has to do what Clemson did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Only a select few teams have the players Clemson has to do what Clemson did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not to mention that game plan likely took time to install. Most teams won't switch up what they do completely for one game even if that one game is against us.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
Not to mention that game plan likely took time to install. Most teams won't switch up what they do completely for one game even if that one game is against us.
Their players said as much - they only spent a few days on the gameplan for ND. They spent all the rest of the time on prep for AL.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
The counter to a disguised defense is pretty simple and was wide open in this game: underneath passes or dump off to RBs. Clemson “bailed out” coverage on almost every play meaning they were retreating from the LOS to cover the middle and deep passes that Tua thought would be open due to presnap alignment. This leaves a gaping hole in the defense in the form of short passes..
I said this all year. The safety valve receiver was open all night as was the TE underneath. Hopefully Sarkisian can teach Tua that the bomb is not always going to be open and it is okay to dump off to a RB in order to keep drives alive. It is also okay to throw the ball away to prevent sacks and potential injuries.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
Their players said as much - they only spent a few days on the gameplan for ND. They spent all the rest of the time on prep for AL.

Yeah, I`ve come to the conclusion we were really undone from a number of different directions and in a number of ways ( their prep, outcoached, etc. )

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
Everybody might well try. Whether or not everybody will have the hosses…? Well...

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
There were two central issues:

First, we got significantly out-coached. That manifested itself a lot of ways, but the bottom line is that Clemson was better prepared, and we never adjusted to take advantage of what their adjustments gave us. That's 1000% coaching.

Secondarily, when the D as a whole, and the secondary in particular, got punched in the mouth, they responded poorly, up to and including Clemson MTAQ.

Dabo took several pages out of The Process, and used them against us. Kudos to him and his staff. Now it's up to us to make sure that [stuff] never happens again.

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL
Back were open all night. We were looking for the home run ball all night. Terrible coaching.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
There were two central issues:

First, we got significantly out-coached. That manifested itself a lot of ways, but the bottom line is that Clemson was better prepared, and we never adjusted to take advantage of what their adjustments gave us. That's 1000% coaching.

Secondarily, when the D as a whole, and the secondary in particular, got punched in the mouth, they responded poorly, up to and including Clemson MTAQ.

Dabo took several pages out of The Process, and used them against us. Kudos to him and his staff. Now it's up to us to make sure that [stuff] never happens again.
I think this pretty much sums it up. CNS is arguably the GOAT. He`s also a man and therefore imperfect. The critical thing is that that game be thoroughly analyzed and used as a teaching moment. I have every confidence that CNS will see to it that it is.

Mystical

All-American
Sep 28, 2009
Fairhope, Alabama
I am not sure how a top conditioned athlete gets shin splints. I wish him well, but this is strange.
Shin splints often occur due to over use and not allowing the proper rest between running. Could be he is trying so hard to get better that he has over done it. My brother who was a world class runner joined the Army and had shin splints from the commander marching, and running the guys to much. He said half the unit was down. They did relieve that commander but not in time to prevent the over use injuries. They had ruck sacks which weighed 50 pounds or so also so that didn't help.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
I'm thinking that nobody tried it previous to Clemson.

Remember that Clemson prepared for this game for twelve months, other teams...not so much.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Shin splints often occur due to over use and not allowing the proper rest between running. Could be he is trying so hard to get better that he has over done it. My brother who was a world class runner joined the Army and had shin splints from the commander marching, and running the guys to much. He said half the unit was down. They did relieve that commander but not in time to prevent the over use injuries. They had ruck sacks which weighed 50 pounds or so also so that didn't help.
Yeah, I got shin splints in the Army from marching. That was bad. I actually found that I could make the pain ease up if I jogged, but that is not easy with a ruck. Reason - my legs were used to running, not forced marching.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
I think this pretty much sums it up. CNS is arguably the GOAT. He`s also a man and therefore imperfect. The critical thing is that that game be thoroughly analyzed and used as a teaching moment. I have every confidence that CNS will see to it that it is.
If anything this game demonstrated how much the big boss counts on his staff and the staff let us down bigtime in the big game. That is why the house clean and that is why he went back to familiar faces in key positions in the on-field coaching ranks. The jury is still out on the effectiveness of this new unit but my perception is that, as teachers and motivators, this new staff is far superior to the unit just shown the door. It will pay dividends.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.