2019 Spring Practice Thread

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
But Lia might just have "it" too. I doubt he has the same "it" his big brother has, but even if it's close, the other QBs might not be able to hold him off from getting to #2 next year and being big brother's backup.
Lia has IT, trust me. He's our backup and will be number 1 next year. Kid is good.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
He is on the 3rd team DL now. I think he and some of the other freshmen are in the group that Saban is saying need to be more consistent, learn the playbook and step up.
I'd bet it's a lot about the playbook and knowing/doing the responsibilities every play and every situation. It's harder than HS where they can just chase the ball. DL in our scheme have to maintain a lot of gap responsibility that can be a big adjustment.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Lia has IT, trust me. He's our backup and will be number 1 next year. Kid is good.
Looking forward to seeing him toss it around some on Saturday. It'll be interesting how they divide the QBs for A-Day.

If Lia's currently #3, I guess that would mean he'd come in relief of Tua after just a few series. That's assuming we put #1 and #3 on one squad and #2 and #4 on the other. Anybody remember how that's normally done?

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
I'd bet it's a lot about the playbook and knowing/doing the responsibilities every play and every situation. It's harder than HS where they can just chase the ball. DL in our scheme have to maintain a lot of gap responsibility that can be a big adjustment.
I'm sure it's really " childhood's end " for a lot of these guys who were just so physically dominant in HS.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
Good news on Wills` ankle. Nothing serious. Gives somebody else an opportunity for reps with the 1`s at RT and develop depth, IMO. Everybody knows what JW can do.

gman4tide

All-SEC
Nov 21, 2005
Flint Creek
We played CCHS last year in the playoffs. DJ and his dline teammates were really good at maintaining their gap discipline and controlling our oline (their mlb had about 30 tackles because we couldn't get to 2nd level). So it sounds like his hs coaching put him ahead of the game for Coach's dline system.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
He is on the 3rd team DL now. I think he and some of the other freshmen are in the group that Saban is saying need to be more consistent, learn the playbook and step up.

This article backs up what you're saying. Can't have a DL not slant to the right gap in our scheme or not hold the gaps they are responsible for:

https://www.tidesports.com/defensive-lineman-dj-dale-making-his-name-known-early/

Talking about the EE linemen.

"The problem for these other players, though, has been translating that ability into production on the field.
“I think when they get in a competitive situation, they completely just dumb down,” Saban said. “They can’t focus. They’re supposed to slant, they don’t slant. So, it’s really — you can see the talent, you can see the ability, but they’ve got to develop confidence when they hear a call that this is what I do and trust in that and believe in that. And right now in practice, it’s starting to happen. But the next step is we’ve got to get it in a competition situation.” "

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Good news on Wills` ankle. Nothing serious. Gives somebody else an opportunity for reps with the 1`s at RT and develop depth, IMO. Everybody knows what JW can do.
I'm thinking they move Neal out to RT some on Saturday. He is going to be tough to keep out of the starting line-up and it will be at one of the guard spots if he does but he is a future LT.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
I'm thinking they move Neal out to RT some on Saturday. He is going to be tough to keep out of the starting line-up and it will be at one of the guard spots if he does but he is a future LT.
May very well do that, it`d be fun to watch, but I believe I saw where Womack will slide out to RT to start. Everything appears to indicate that Neal may very well find a spot on the starting O line by Duke.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
The last time the White won was a couple of years ago with Tua over Hurts. If the White wins this year Lia would have solidified his backup role and we are in for one heck of a ride over the next three years.
or if White wins, it could also be that Jones completely picks apart the second team D. I'd love to see both Lia and Bryant light it up once they get their chances though.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Tyson getting to back up Tua means he'll face the first team defense. Tough learning curve.

FWIW, I don't see a reason for Tua to get too many series. I'm really interested in seeing Mac, Lia and Paul get their reps.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.