Question: First Bama Game you ever attended?

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
What was the first Bama game you attended? Oct. 12, 1974 at BDS. Bama vs. Fla. State.
What were the circumstances of your attendance?Daddy took me to my first Bama game as a 10 yr old.
Where did you get the ticket?Daddy got them somewhere. :)
Where did you sit?Don't remember the exact section, but we sat on the west side. That was before any upper deck additions.
Who took you (or with whom did you attend )?It was me, Daddy, my grandfather (Papa) and my brother.
What was the outcome and any particular meaningful plays or players or events you remember about the game?Bama won 8-7. Bucky Berry kicked a FG at the end to win it. Richard Todd was QB that year but was hurt. I believe Jack O'Rear was his back up and played that day.
Do you still have the ticket?Nope. Wish I did. Would frame them.
How much was the ticket (face value and/or what you paid)?Don't know, but thinking about prices from back then couldn't have been more than $15.
Any other observations about the game you want to share. So many memories! The main one that sticks out was we always got to games very early and would be there when the buses unloaded. Back then they unloaded on the south side of BDS. We were there when the players were walking off the bus - there wasn't the crowd control you have nowadays so we were kind of intermingled with the players. I remember the crowd opening up and here comes Coach Bryant. I was a little fella and he walked right by me - huge man. I felt like I had just seen God walk by.
Attended that game and I remember watching Fla State arrive. Coach Bryant said that Florida State was the toughest game of the year. They ran the ball and controlled the clock all day. Fla State elected to take a safety in the north end zone which allowed for the very late field goal for Alabama to scratch out a last minute win. A great day for football in BDS.

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
Bama-Vandy 1969 at Dudley Field. My Dad had two Vandy season tickets so I got to go when Mama wasn’t interested. We sat on the 20 yard line 22 rows up next to the isle. Vandy won 14-10. I don’t remember much about the game but I was excited to see Coach Bryant and Scott Hunter.
The world was upside down when Vandy beat Bama in Nashville. Listened to the game on radio that night. Watson Brown, older brother of Mack Brown, was the Vandy QB.

Bamaatthebeach

1st Team
Feb 27, 2019
Myrtle Beach, SC, USA
Bama versus California, September 1973, at Legion Field in Birmingham. My father took me, and I believe it was a night game. I was young and remember how much further away the field was as compared to a high school game. Bama won 66-0.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
The world was upside down when Vandy beat Bama in Nashville. Listened to the game on radio that night. Watson Brown, older brother of Mack Brown, was the Vandy QB.
Yeah, Watson was a really good QB. My guess is he doesn’t claim Mack as a brother.

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006
First Bama Game:

Date: October 4, 1975
Opponent: Mississippi
Ticket location: North End, Gate 17, Section 17, Row 39, Seat 9
Ticket cost (face value): $8.00
I have the ticket from all 273 Bama games I’ve attended

At that time my Dad was a fireman, so he worked 24 on and was 48 off. During his off days he had several other jobs. One of those was for a feed supply company. They had a huge warehouse and supplied feed to big farms, not bags of feed but big volumes of feed delivered by the truckload. I used to get to hang around the warehouse and occasionally go on a delivery with my Dad. The owner was good people and once a year he always did something for the employees (probably 20 or so). For several years it was going to an Alabama game. This particular year, someone got sick the day before the game and the owner asked my Dad if I would like to go.

Back then I-65 was not complete between Montgomery and Birmingham. It ended around Alabaster and you have to take an alternate route to the stadium. We stopped for lunch at this popular roadside restaurant and I remember my Dad telling me not to order a hamburger. So, I ordered a catfish dinner. And when the food came, it was the whole catfish! I must have had a funny look on my face because all the people at my table started laughing, but it was delicious.

We went in several vehicles, and all parked in someone’s front yard. The weather was overcast but it didn’t rain during the game. Coach Bryant stood in front of the goal post pre-game looking bigger than life. Bama dominated Ole Miss and won 32-6. Shelby, Taylor, Davis and Faust scored TD’s for us and Bucky Berry kicked two FG’s. Ole Miss scored on, or about, the last play of the game to spoil the shutout. It was a great day and, obviously, I was hooked on the whole gameday experience. I'm still that way when I get to the stadium today.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
Attended that game and I remember watching Fla State arrive. Coach Bryant said that Florida State was the toughest game of the year. They ran the ball and controlled the clock all day. Fla State elected to take a safety in the north end zone which allowed for the very late field goal for Alabama to scratch out a last minute win. A great day for football in BDS.
I believe FSU had the nations longest losing streak at the time, and Bama was ranked #2 or something. 5 turnovers DOOMED the Tide, or so the seminoles thought! . I can’t remember what I had for breakfast yesterday, but I remember that game well!

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
Alabama vs. Georgia
Was invited to tag along on an official recruiting visit with one of my classmates.
it was an unreal atmosphere ... saw Bama put together one of the best come-from-behind-wins in school history.
Derrick Thomas was also back visiting as a pro and was signing autographs in the locker room.
My favorite BDS memory hands-down.

On a side note, my classmate ended up committing to Auburn

OakMtn4Bama

All-American
Jan 10, 2007
Trussville
The first game I can remember vividly was the opener in Sept 1964 against Georgia. We beat them 31-3 or some such, and Namath had a big day running and throwing. Crowd seemed huge. A few weeks later saw the NC State game. Beautiful day. Namath hurt his knee for the first time IIRC and Steve Sloan came in and won the game. I was able to get a team picture after the national championship later that year which namath signed for me. Doesn't seem all that long ago. Oh well.

BamaMark.

1st Team
Jun 21, 2012
What was the first Bama game you attended? (Date, opponent, location, outcome)Nov. 11, 1978, LSU, Legion Field, Bama won 31-10.

What were the circumstances of your attendance?I was 10 years old and begged my mom to take me since she was going.

Where did you get the ticket?Aunt and uncle.

Where did you sit?Do not recall.

Who took you (or with whom did you attend )?Mom, aunt and uncle.

What was the outcome and any particular meaningful plays or players or events you remember about the game?Too long ago.

Do you still have the ticket?No

How much was the ticket (face value and/or what you paid)?Free to me.

Any other observations about the game you want to share.Aunt and uncle were big LSU fans and we tailgated in their motor home. Painted on the back window was "Go to HELL Bama!" I've mostly forgotten the game but not that.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
1973 BAMA/VPI at Denny stadium.We sat on Northwest 20 yard line. I remember it was cold . I went with my Dad, uncle and cousin. I think my uncle invited us, but, I remember my dad had season tickets, and so did my uncle . I don’t have the ticket, I kept it for a very long time , though. The game was great/ terrible. 77-6 . The Gobblers/Hokies were outmanned! . I think Bama had over 700 yards rushing and 800 yards offense, I don’t remember the exact numbers. They were records at the time. I think the waterboy and Tuba player had 3 carries each in the game. Denny stadium was beautiful to me, nicer than Legion field. I watched a few HS games in Legion field before that!

Relayer

Hall of Fame
Mar 25, 2001
What a bunch of geezers 😁. Didn't know there were that many of us, on here.

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL
My first game was Bama vs. Duke September 9, 1972. I had turned 5 years old a few weeks before. We won that night at Legion Field. I can still smell the cigar smoke and remember the souvenir tables selling the shakers, the crimson cowboy hats, and the pins. I was there with my mom, dad, and my uncle. My dad passed away in 2005 and was a huge fan. I sure wish he could have seen the run we’re on now. RTR

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
The Vandy game at BDS in 1986. I had just graduated from HS and our family had relocated to Tuscaloosa from the state of Oklahoma. Watson Brown was their HC. We won 42-10.

Last edited:

tide96

All-SEC
Oct 4, 2005
My dad took me to some game around 1990 in Tuscaloosa, but I don't remember who it was against, so I don't really count it.

I use sportspassport.com to kep track of my games that I have been too, and I have seen 109 Alabama games with the "first" being the classic 1992 SEC Championship.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I saw three Alabama road games and one neutral site game before I ever set foot in BDS.

10/21/95 - at Ole Miss, W
9/21/96 - at Arky (L Rock), W
11/14/98 - at MSU, L
01/02/06 - vs Texas Tech, W

BDS GAMES ATTENDED
10/27/12 - MSU, W
11/24/12 - Auburn, W
10/19/13 - Arky, W
9/20/14 - Florida, W
11/7/15 - LSU, W
9/10/16 - WKU, W
10/1/16 - UK, W
10/22/16 - ATM, W
11/12/16 - MSU, W
11/26/16 - Auburn, W
9/9/17 - Fresno, W
9/16/17 - CSU, W
10/14/17 - Arky, W
10/21/17 - Tenn, W
11/4/17 - LSU, W
9/22/18 - ATM, W

We're 19-1 at games I attend - and quite frankly, we'd been the better team MSU in 1998 right up until that game. That was one of those, "we never showed up" games.

Bizarrely enough.....only the Cotton Bowl has even been close at the end.

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds
Southern Miss mid-Sept 1971 . . .freshperson year. First home game after the suprise wishbome upset of USCw. We beat USM like a gong. Didn't lose a game that season until the Huskers wore us out in the Orange Bowl.

CoachInWaiting

3rd Team
Nov 27, 2017
October 15, 1977, Legion Field vs. Tennessee. Bama 24, ut 10. Friend of my dad's got the tickets (my dad and I went), no idea what they cost. I still have the program. Best memories are Coach Bryant leaning on the goal post in that familiar pose, him signing autographs for both Alabama and ut fans during warm-ups, an acrobatic catch by Ozzie, a devastating tackle by a LB or safety whose name I don't recall, but the sound was loud even in the upper deck of the Old Gray Lady. But most of all, it was the only Alabama game I saw with my dad and that drive home, knowing that the win streak against the Vols was extended, was an absolute joy.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.