Question: First Bama Game you ever attended?

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
We're 19-1 at games I attend - and quite frankly, we'd been the better team MSU in 1998 right up until that game. That was one of those, "we never showed up" games.

Bizarrely enough.....only the Cotton Bowl has even been close at the end.
We are 10-0 in games I have attended, 6 of them blowouts. I did not see a game at BDS until 2010.

Southern Miss in the 80's don't remember the exact year
Tennessee 1990
Chattanooga 1991
Southern Miss 1992
Chattanooga 1994
Miss State in Starkville not sure of the year
San Jose State 2010
Kent State 2011
Arkansas 2013
Tennessee 2013

Last edited:

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
As best as I can recall, here is a complete list of games that I have attended. Our record is 9-5 when I’ve been there:

Vandy—W
Notre Dame—W
LSU-L
Auburn(@Legion Field)-L

Florida—L
Mississippi State-W

LSU—W
Auburn(@legion field)—W

BYU—W

UCLA—L

Oklahoma—L

Ole Miss—W
Arkansas—W

Florida Atlantic—W

The big highlights of my experience: Being in attendance when we beat Notre Dame for the first time and breaking the four game losing streak to the barn in 1990.

Last edited:

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
To kick it off, I want to ask a few questions:

• What was the first Bama game you attended? (Date, opponent, location, outcome)-10/17/1953, ut, B'ham, 0-0
  • What were the circumstances of your attendance?-First date
  • Where did you get the ticket?-Dad
  • Where did you sit?-East sideline
  • Who took you (or with whom did you attend )?-Little girl and I rode the trolley from Woodlawn
  • What was the outcome and any particular meaningful plays or players or events you remember about the game?-Nobody scored that day:)
  • Do you still have the ticket?-No
  • How much was the ticket (face value and/or what you paid)?-$5 face value
  • Any other observations about the game you want to share.-Both teams wore white helmets and colored jerseys. Alums did the game for CBS TV. Lindsey Nelson (ut) and Mel Allen (UA)

bama61

1st Team
Aug 24, 2004
North Alabama
I'm gonna confess right up front that my recall does't even come close to matching that of Selma's, but my first Bama game experience was in 1952. I was 15 years old then and attending high school in Mobile, Alabama. That year Alabama had a game with Maryland at Ladd Stadium in Mobile and I decided to go, no tickets and not much cash, but I was going to go.... We lived outside Mobile back then in a bedroom community called Forest Hills, I walked up to Old Shell Road and hitch-hiked in town and walked from Government Street to the stadium. To make a long story short, through sheer good luck I got into the stadium about the middle of the first quarter without a ticket and found an unoccupied seat, we won't dwell on how I got in....

Maryland was a loaded team that was the darling of the eastern media although they had ventured south the previous week and had been upset by Ole Miss. Despite this, the media remained adamnment that Bama would pay for the previous week's lapse since after all, Maryland had Jack Scarbath at QB, and the Modzelewski brothers, all future pros. Nonetheless, their visit to Ladd Stadium in Mobile ended up in a 27 - 7 loss to Bama and a final season record of 7 - 2 for the Terrapins. It may have been that the Maryland team felt better about this game after Alabama destroyed Syracuse by a score of 61 - 6 in the Orange Bowl a couple of months later. As a point of interest, a first year assistant coach on the Alabama staff was a gentleman named Johnny Dee who was also the first year basketball head coach. His 1955-56 basketball squad was the first ever to hit 100 points against Kentucky which is another interesting story, and they did it the hard way, beating Kentucky in Lexington. Adolph Rupp actually tried to slow the game down to prevent Bama from getting to 100.

Ooops, guess I should answer all the questions...
What was the first Bama game you attended? (Date, opponent, location, outcome)- Nov 22, 1952 at Ladd Stadium, Mobile, Alabama, against Maryland
What were the circumstances of your attendance?- I was 15 and decided to go to the game.
Where did you get the ticket?- ticket??? Actually I slipped in, my first attempt at gate crashing.
Where did you sit?- West stands
Who took you (or with whom did you attend )?- went on my own, no ticket and little funds but a lot of optimism.
What was the outcome and any particular meaningful plays or players or events you remember about the game?- Bama 27 Maryland 7 - odd play, Bart Starr scored the first td on a pass from Bobby Luna
Do you still have the ticket?- Nope, never had one
How much was the ticket (face value and/or what you paid)?-$5.00 I think...
Any other observations about the game you want to share - Bama scored each quarter to gradually put the game away. Maryland had won their first seven games and then came south and played Ole Miss who beat them by a touchdown. Alabama was supposed to pay the price for that affront, but it didn't turn out that way. Anyway, it was my first Bama game and if I wasn't already hooked this completed the job.

Last edited:

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL
I saw three Alabama road games and one neutral site game before I ever set foot in BDS.

10/21/95 - at Ole Miss, W
9/21/96 - at Arky (L Rock), W
11/14/98 - at MSU, L
01/02/06 - vs Texas Tech, W

BDS GAMES ATTENDED
10/27/12 - MSU, W
11/24/12 - Auburn, W
10/19/13 - Arky, W
9/20/14 - Florida, W
11/7/15 - LSU, W
9/10/16 - WKU, W
10/1/16 - UK, W
10/22/16 - ATM, W
11/12/16 - MSU, W
11/26/16 - Auburn, W
9/9/17 - Fresno, W
9/16/17 - CSU, W
10/14/17 - Arky, W
10/21/17 - Tenn, W
11/4/17 - LSU, W
9/22/18 - ATM, W

We're 19-1 at games I attend - and quite frankly, we'd been the better team MSU in 1998 right up until that game. That was one of those, "we never showed up" games.

Bizarrely enough.....only the Cotton Bowl has even been close at the end.
Get this man season tickets. All W's at BDS.

CrimsonPaul

1st Team
Jun 12, 2006
Brandon, MS
October 10,1959 Alabama-13 Chattanooga-0 at Denny stadium. I just started school there and sat on about the 40 yard line because I got there early to see the warm ups. I don't remember if I was with anyone. Alabama's 4th game of the year and was 1-1-1. A lost to Georgia,beat Houston and a tie with Vandy.

FitToBeTide

All-American
Aug 19, 2001
St. Florian
I'm gonna confess right up front that my recall does't even come close to matching that of Selma's, but my first Bama game experience was in 1952. I was 15 years old then and attending high school in Mobile, Alabama. That year Alabama had a game with Maryland at Ladd Stadium in Mobile and I decided to go, no tickets and not much cash, but I was going to go.... We lived outside Mobile back then in a bedroom community called Forest Hills, I walked up to Old Shell Road and hitch-hiked in town and walked from Government Street to the stadium. To make a long story short, through sheer good luck I got into the stadium about the middle of the first quarter without a ticket and found an unoccupied seat, we won't dwell on how I got in....

Maryland was a loaded team that was the darling of the eastern media although they had ventured south the previous week and had been upset by Ole Miss. Despite this, the media remained adamnment that Bama would pay for the previous week's lapse since after all, Maryland had Jack Scarbath at QB, and the Modzelewski brothers, all future pros. Nonetheless, their visit to Ladd Stadium in Mobile ended up in a 27 - 7 loss to Bama and a final season record of 7 - 2 for the Terrapins. It may have been that the Maryland team felt better about this game after Alabama destroyed Syracuse by a score of 61 - 6 in the Orange Bowl a couple of months later. As a point of interest, a first year assistant coach on the Alabama staff was a gentleman named Johnny Dee who was also the first year basketball head coach. His 1955-56 basketball squad was the first ever to hit 100 points against Kentucky which is another interesting story, and they did it the hard way, beating Kentucky in Lexington. Adolph Rupp actually tried to slow the game down to prevent Bama from getting to 100.

What was the first Bama game you attended? (Date, opponent, location, outcome)- Nov 22, 1952 at Ladd Stadium, Mobile, Alabama, against Maryland
What were the circumstances of your attendance?- I was 15 and decided to go to the game.
Where did you get the ticket?- ticket??? Actually I slipped in, my first attempt at gate crashing.
Who took you (or with whom did you attend )?- went on my own, no ticket and little funds but a lot of optimism.
What was the outcome and any particular meaningful plays or players or events you remember about the game?- Bama 27 Maryland 7 - odd play, Bart Starr scored the first td on a pass from Bobby Luna
Any other observations about the game you want to share - Bama scored each quarter to gradually put the game away. Maryland had won their first seven games and then came south and played Ole Miss who beat them by a touchdown. Alabama was supposed to pay the price for that affront, but it didn't turn out that way. Anyway, it was my first Bama game and if I wasn't already hooked this completed the job.
The famous Rocket 8, no less.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA

Couple of notes about the '56 Kentucky BB game. The game was in Montgomery and I was in attendance. Lived in Selma at the time and rarely missed a Bama game there. The 100 points against UK was a very big deal because the arrogant Rump-uh,Rupp- had three digits for the home team and two digits for the visitor on the scoreboard in Lexington.

Rolltidewill92

BamaNation Citizen
Feb 11, 2018
Was in the military and missed a load of games, but my first one was against Kent St a few years back. A coworker gave me some tickets and brought me along. Got tickets to the Kentucky game that same year (Tim williams last) and brought my auburn fan wife. She loved it. Haven't fully converted her but there's still time.

formersoldier71

All-American
May 9, 2004
Jasper, AL
I reckon the 1987 A-Day game at Legion Field doesn't count, so...
My first Bama game was against Kentucky on September 23, 1989 at Bryant-Denny. Alabama won, 15-3.
It was my freshman year at Alabama. I sat in the student section. The ticket cost $4. I still have it; I have my ticket from every Bama game I've attended.
The most memorable part of the game was Jeff Dunn getting hurt and being replaced by Gary Hollingsworth. Some of my friends nicknamed Gary "the bone" because he was so skinny. Seems like Murray Hill had a decent game.
Lacking Selma's memory, I don't remember why I missed the season opener against Memphis State at Legion Field.

bvandegraff

All-American
Mar 13, 2014
Albuquerque, NM
The Vandy game at BDS in 1986. I had just graduated from HS and our family had relocated to Tuscaloosa from the state of Oklahoma. Watson Brown was their HC. We won 42-10.
This was my first game, too, at BDS, which at that time only seated 60K. I was a freshman at UA. My mom's co-worker bought me student season tickets as a HS graduation present, so I saw every home game that year. Can't remember many details about the game, except that the Astroturf made it ungodly hot.

My favorite in-person Bama football memory happened a few weeks later against Notre Dame - The Hit. Everyone saw the collision coming when Bennett went unblocked and sniffed out the misdirection, and Legion Field absolutely exploded when the impact exceeded our expectation.

AlistarWills

All-American
Jul 26, 2006
I don’t remember the year exactly. My pee wee football team went to see Bama vs Miss St at Legion Field in the 80’s. It was the year all Bamas home games were in B’ham due to the construction on the west side of BDS.

Ledsteplin

Hall of Fame
Nov 20, 2013
Florence, Alabama
I stated earlier my first game was Ole Miss in 1967. I wanted to share my reason for attending this game. My Uncle was entertaining a business associate. I was 15, and had a driver's permit. So he brought me along as a designated driver. I didn't mind one bit.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Honestly do not know. It would have been a bowl game with my wife, and we have been to many bowl games - just don't remember. I know this - I have never been to an Alabama game and seen Alabama lose. I have been fortunate that every game was a victory. One was close - the Independence Bowl against Iowa State.

DallasRTR

3rd Team
Jul 26, 2007
My first game was at Legion Field - Peyton Manning's Tennessee team vs us in 1997 - I don't remember our QB - I don't think it was Freddie that game, but not sure. My Uncle Bill drove me over the day before, told me where to park, so I would be safe.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.