Question: First Bama Game you ever attended? - Page 5
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    BamaNation All-American bamamc1's Avatar

Re: First Bama Game you ever attended?

My first game was Bama vs. Duke September 9, 1972. I had turned 5 years old a few weeks before. We won that night at Legion Field. I can still smell the cigar smoke and remember the souvenir tables selling the shakers, the crimson cowboy hats, and the pins. I was there with my mom, dad, and my uncle. My dad passed away in 2005 and was a huge fan. I sure wish he could have seen the run we’re on now. RTR

BamaNation Hall of Fame deliveryman35's Avatar

The Vandy game at BDS in 1986. I had just graduated from HS and our family had relocated to Tuscaloosa from the state of Oklahoma. Watson Brown was their HC. We won 42-10.
    Last edited by deliveryman35; March 12th, 2019 at 11:31 AM.
    "Football is a hard game. These spread coaches forget that. Until good defenses remind them." Gene Stallings

My dad took me to some game around 1990 in Tuscaloosa, but I don't remember who it was against, so I don't really count it.

I use sportspassport.com to kep track of my games that I have been too, and I have seen 109 Alabama games with the "first" being the classic 1992 SEC Championship.

Ole Miss in Birmingham. 1967. Bama won 21 to 7. I was 15.

BamaNation Hall of Fame selmaborntidefan's Avatar

I saw three Alabama road games and one neutral site game before I ever set foot in BDS.

10/21/95 - at Ole Miss, W
    9/21/96 - at Arky (L Rock), W
    11/14/98 - at MSU, L
    01/02/06 - vs Texas Tech, W

BDS GAMES ATTENDED
    10/27/12 - MSU, W
    11/24/12 - Auburn, W
    10/19/13 - Arky, W
    9/20/14 - Florida, W
    11/7/15 - LSU, W
    9/10/16 - WKU, W
    10/1/16 - UK, W
    10/22/16 - ATM, W
    11/12/16 - MSU, W
    11/26/16 - Auburn, W
    9/9/17 - Fresno, W
    9/16/17 - CSU, W
    10/14/17 - Arky, W
    10/21/17 - Tenn, W
    11/4/17 - LSU, W
    9/22/18 - ATM, W

We're 19-1 at games I attend - and quite frankly, we'd been the better team MSU in 1998 right up until that game. That was one of those, "we never showed up" games.

Bizarrely enough.....only the Cotton Bowl has even been close at the end.
    My New Year's resolution for 2019 is this year I'm not going to drink anymore. I'm not going to drink any less, either.

I was married for 25 years, but if I'd killed her on the honeymoon, I'd have been out in less than 20.

Butch Jones has richly earned his title, The Archbishop of Talentbury

After reading all the horrible things drinking will do to you....I gave up reading.

BamaNation All-American

Southern Miss mid-Sept 1971 . . .freshperson year. First home game after the suprise wishbome upset of USCw. We beat USM like a gong. Didn't lose a game that season until the Huskers wore us out in the Orange Bowl.

BamaNation Second Team CoachInWaiting's Avatar

October 15, 1977, Legion Field vs. Tennessee. Bama 24, ut 10. Friend of my dad's got the tickets (my dad and I went), no idea what they cost. I still have the program. Best memories are Coach Bryant leaning on the goal post in that familiar pose, him signing autographs for both Alabama and ut fans during warm-ups, an acrobatic catch by Ozzie, a devastating tackle by a LB or safety whose name I don't recall, but the sound was loud even in the upper deck of the Old Gray Lady. But most of all, it was the only Alabama game I saw with my dad and that drive home, knowing that the win streak against the Vols was extended, was an absolute joy.
    ​They said Bear Bryant walked on water....Nick Saban swims through land.

Publisher, TideFans.com &
    Benevolent Dictator

Quote Originally Posted by selmaborntidefan View Post
    I

We're 19-1 at games I attend - and quite frankly, we'd been the better team MSU in 1998 right up until that game. That was one of those, "we never showed up" games
    I think we need a gofundme to have you attend ALL games

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BamaNation Hall of Fame DzynKingRTR's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by selmaborntidefan View Post

We're 19-1 at games I attend - and quite frankly, we'd been the better team MSU in 1998 right up until that game. That was one of those, "we never showed up" games.

Bizarrely enough.....only the Cotton Bowl has even been close at the end.
    We are 10-0 in games I have attended, 6 of them blowouts. I did not see a game at BDS until 2010.

Southern Miss in the 80's don't remember the exact year
    Tennessee 1990
    Chattanooga 1991
    Southern Miss 1992
    Chattanooga 1994
    Miss State in Starkville not sure of the year
    San Jose State 2010
    Kent State 2011
    Arkansas 2013
    Tennessee 2013
    Last edited by DzynKingRTR; March 12th, 2019 at 07:28 PM. Reason: forgot one
    Architects do it with models.

Roll Tide Roll

BamaNation Hall of Fame deliveryman35's Avatar

As best as I can recall, here is a complete list of games that I have attended. Our record is 9-5 when I’ve been there:

Vandy—W
    Notre Dame—W
    LSU-L
    Auburn(@Legion Field)-L

Florida—L
    Mississippi State-W

LSU—W
    Auburn(@legion field)—W

BYU—W

UCLA—L

Oklahoma—L

Ole Miss—W
    Arkansas—W

Florida Atlantic—W

The big highlights of my experience: Being in attendance when we beat Notre Dame for the first time and breaking the four game losing streak to the barn in 1990.
    Last edited by deliveryman35; March 12th, 2019 at 07:39 PM.
    "Football is a hard game. These spread coaches forget that. Until good defenses remind them." Gene Stallings

BamaNation All-American ALA2262's Avatar

To kick it off, I want to ask a few questions:

• What was the first Bama game you attended? (Date, opponent, location, outcome)-10/17/1953, ut, B'ham, 0-0
    • What were the circumstances of your attendance?-First date
    • Where did you get the ticket?-Dad
    • Where did you sit?-East sideline
    • Who took you (or with whom did you attend )?-Little girl and I rode the trolley from Woodlawn
    • What was the outcome and any particular meaningful plays or players or events you remember about the game?-Nobody scored that day
    • Do you still have the ticket?-No
    • How much was the ticket (face value and/or what you paid)?-$5 face value
    • Any other observations about the game you want to share.-Both teams wore white helmets and colored jerseys. Alums did the game for CBS TV. Lindsey Nelson (ut) and Mel Allen (UA)

I'm gonna confess right up front that my recall does't even come close to matching that of Selma's, but my first Bama game experience was in 1952. I was 15 years old then and attending high school in Mobile, Alabama. That year Alabama had a game with Maryland at Ladd Stadium in Mobile and I decided to go, no tickets and not much cash, but I was going to go.... We lived outside Mobile back then in a bedroom community called Forest Hills, I walked up to Old Shell Road and hitch-hiked in town and walked from Government Street to the stadium. To make a long story short, through sheer good luck I got into the stadium about the middle of the first quarter without a ticket and found an unoccupied seat, we won't dwell on how I got in....

Maryland was a loaded team that was the darling of the eastern media although they had ventured south the previous week and had been upset by Ole Miss. Despite this, the media remained adamnment that Bama would pay for the previous week's lapse since after all, Maryland had Jack Scarbath at QB, and the Modzelewski brothers, all future pros. Nonetheless, their visit to Ladd Stadium in Mobile ended up in a 27 - 7 loss to Bama and a final season record of 7 - 2 for the Terrapins. It may have been that the Maryland team felt better about this game after Alabama destroyed Syracuse by a score of 61 - 6 in the Orange Bowl a couple of months later. As a point of interest, a first year assistant coach on the Alabama staff was a gentleman named Johnny Dee who was also the first year basketball head coach. His 1955-56 basketball squad was the first ever to hit 100 points against Kentucky which is another interesting story, and they did it the hard way, beating Kentucky in Lexington. Adolph Rupp actually tried to slow the game down to prevent Bama from getting to 100.

Ooops, guess I should answer all the questions...
    What was the first Bama game you attended? (Date, opponent, location, outcome)- Nov 22, 1952 at Ladd Stadium, Mobile, Alabama, against Maryland
    What were the circumstances of your attendance?- I was 15 and decided to go to the game.
    Where did you get the ticket?- ticket??? Actually I slipped in, my first attempt at gate crashing.
    Where did you sit?- West stands
    Who took you (or with whom did you attend )?- went on my own, no ticket and little funds but a lot of optimism.
    What was the outcome and any particular meaningful plays or players or events you remember about the game?- Bama 27 Maryland 7 - odd play, Bart Starr scored the first td on a pass from Bobby Luna
    Do you still have the ticket?- Nope, never had one
    How much was the ticket (face value and/or what you paid)?-$5.00 I think...
    Any other observations about the game you want to share - Bama scored each quarter to gradually put the game away. Maryland had won their first seven games and then came south and played Ole Miss who beat them by a touchdown. Alabama was supposed to pay the price for that affront, but it didn't turn out that way. Anyway, it was my first Bama game and if I wasn't already hooked this completed the job.
    Last edited by bama61; March 12th, 2019 at 09:57 PM.

BamaNation All-American Padreruf's Avatar

1969 -- The Real Iron Bowl...
    "The greatest evil in the world is not 'not knowing;' it is not knowing that you do not know." Alfred North Whitehead