Question: First Bama Game you ever attended?

FitToBeTide

All-American
Aug 19, 2001
St. Florian
What was the first Bama game you attended? (Date, opponent, location, outcome) 9/30/61, Tulane, Ladd Stadium, Mobile, 9-0 us.
What were the circumstances of your attendance? Sunday School teacher, Bama grad took some of guys from class who weren't barn fans
Where did you get the ticket? teacher provider

Where did you sit? 25 yd line
Who took you (or with whom did you attend )? Teacher and classmates
What was the outcome and any particular meaningful plays or players or events you remember about the game? 9-0, the defense was awesome, Pat Trammell was the boss
Do you still have the ticket? no
How much was the ticket (face value and/or what you paid)? no idea
Any other observations about the game you want to share. those beautiful crimson uniforms, live and in person, all of it solidified the love for the Tide for perpetuity.

Last edited:

OBMS

1st Team
Jan 9, 2011
October 2, 1965
Renewal of the Ole Miss series. First time the two had played since the 1940s.
South end zone tickets provided to my father and several friends by a friend and Red Elephant Club member. No stub or program.
Steve Sloan drove them 80 yards and scored in the end zone we were sitting in for a 17-16 win.

crimbru

1st Team
Sep 15, 2011
Brussels, Belgium
  • What was the first Bama game you attended? (Date, opponent, location, outcome): 9/22/1979, Baylor, Legion Field, Bama 45 Baylor 0
  • What were the circumstances of your attendance? I was 11 and got in free because my sister was with the Red Cross
  • Where did you get the ticket? See above--no ticket
  • Where did you sit? I did not have a seat so I stood on the steps just around an entrance near where my sister was stationed
  • Who took you (or with whom did you attend )? My sister
  • What was the outcome and any particular meaningful plays or players or events you remember about the game? Bama D never let them get across the 50, I think or if they did it was barely and late.
  • Do you still have the ticket? Never had one.
  • How much was the ticket (face value and/or what you paid)? Free
  • Any other observations about the game you want to share. I was 11 and memories are faint. I have more memories of the UT game that same year because my sister was stationed in the UT section and they were winning at the half.

It was Nov. 13th, 1971 vs Miami in Tuscaloosa. Bama won 31-3.

I was 14 and Dad had gotten 4 tickets from a co-worker at the post office. My younger brother and one of my best friends came along, as did my Mom, who we dropped off at a shopping center, while we went to the game.

We sat in the corner of the endzone. Bear Bryant was larger than life. So was John Hannah, easily the widest body on the field. Johnny Musso was on crutches. Wilbur Jackson had a long TD run. Terry Davis was the QB.

Bama was 9-0 and ranked 4th, coming off a 14-7 win over 18th ranked LSU in Baton Rouge. Two weeks later Musso would run wild over Auburn in a 31-7 Iron Bowl win.

I don't remember ever seeing the tickets.

Vinny

Hall of Fame
Sep 27, 2001
Rockaway, NJ
My first Alabama game was as a student in 1991. Alabama played Temple at Legion Field. I ended up going to the game with friends that I made while living in Rose Towers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BamaBuc

All-American
May 12, 2003
St. Pete Beach, FL
crimson-fan.neocities.org
What was the first Bama game you attended? (Date, opponent, location, outcome)
I don't remember the exact date but it was in Sept. 1958 vs LSU at Ladd Memorial stadium we lost 13-3

What were the circumstances of your attendance?
An High School Booster/Parent bought tickets for our HS team...

Where did you get the ticket?
One of our High School Boosters/Parents

Where did you sit?
North End-Zone

Who took you (or with whom did you attend )?
High School Team...

What was the outcome and any particular meaningful plays or players or events you remember about the game?
LSU 13 Bama 3 - Everyone thought Bear had called an onside kick to start the game but alas he hadn't, the kicker was nervous and whiffed on the kickoff - The end zone we were sitting in collapsed...

Do you still have the ticket?
No...

How much was the ticket (face value and/or what you paid)?
Have no Idea...

Any other observations about the game you want to share.
Most fans there were expecting LSU (the eventual Nat'l Champions) squash the tide, (Bama was leading at the half 3-0), turned out to be a very competitive game! One other thing was those darn purple bandannas some LSU fans were wearing/waving around the whole game, I presume it was for the 'Chinese Bandits' Dietzels nickname for his 'D'...!

gman4tide

All-SEC
Nov 21, 2005
Flint Creek
9/9/84 boson college at legion field. Me and best friends in high school went. No clue where we got tickets or how much? Pretty sure we were on top row N-NE endzone. If i remember correctly, bama was up at half and Kerry was returning 2nd half kickoff when his knee was blown? BC came back and won.

Krymsonman

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
River Ridge, LA
I don't get to a lot of games, but here you go:

First game: 12/31/73 - Sugar Bowl vs Notre Dame, BAMA lost 24-23

Just turned 16, we had moved to New Orleans from Mobile a couple of years before, my Dad knew someone who gave us tickets. It was Mom, Dad, me and little brother

We sat around the 35 yard line, about halfway up the lower deck of old Tulane Stadium. Robin Weber caught the clinching pass running right toward us

We were all excited. We figured we would stop ND, get great field position as they would be punting from the end zone, and win it with a field goal. Then that play happened.

I wish I would have kept the ticket, but it was loss, who wants that ticket!

Don't know how much the ticket was, I thought it was free.

I think this game started my immense dislike of Notre Dame! Krymsonman

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
I think my first Alabama game was against LSU in either 67 or 68.
Alabama won. They played at Legion Field in Bham. PLACE WAS PACKED.
Seems like we were in the End Zone.

I looked it up. Nov. 1968. We won 16-7

RTR.

Bamaparrotheads

3rd Team
Jan 27, 2011
Madison, AL
  • What was the first Bama game you attended? (Date, opponent, location, outcome): 9/22/1979, Baylor, Legion Field, Bama 45 Baylor 0
  • What were the circumstances of your attendance? I was 11 and got in free because my sister was with the Red Cross
  • Where did you get the ticket? See above--no ticket
  • Where did you sit? I did not have a seat so I stood on the steps just around an entrance near where my sister was stationed
  • Who took you (or with whom did you attend )? My sister
  • What was the outcome and any particular meaningful plays or players or events you remember about the game? Bama D never let them get across the 50, I think or if they did it was barely and late.
  • Do you still have the ticket? Never had one.
  • How much was the ticket (face value and/or what you paid)? Free
  • Any other observations about the game you want to share. I was 11 and memories are faint. I have more memories of the UT game that same year because my sister was stationed in the UT section and they were winning at the half.
This was my first game as well. I was 7 and had been begging my parents to take me to a game; they went several times and would leave me with my aunt and uncle. They finally relented and took me.

Dad bought tickets from a scalper and we sat in the old east upper deck (I don't remember what he paid). I remember that Mike Singletary played for Baylor. I remember that Tommy Wilcox made a sliding interception. I remember Major Ogilvie scored a touchdown.

allybama2009

1st Team
Jan 1, 2009
Conway, SC
  • What was the first Bama game you attended? (Date, opponent, location, outcome). Bama vs Miss State at BDS in November 2008. We won 32-8.
  • What were the circumstances of your attendance? 2 college buddies and I wanted to go. so we bought tickets and traveled to TTOWN.
  • Where did you get the ticket? From iternet, i think stubhub
  • Where did you sit? upstairs in endzone
  • Who took you (or with whom did you attend )? 2 college buddies who i have transformed into Bama Fans
  • What was the outcome and any particular meaningful plays or players or events you remember about the game? Javier Arenas took a kick back for a td. Other than that the tailgating got the best of me.
  • Do you still have the ticket? yes i keep all my tickets
  • How much was the ticket (face value and/or what you paid)? 80$ i think
  • Any other observations about the game you want to share. It was a ton of fun, and my buddies and I meet every year to attend one game.

tidehawk

HS Moderator
Staff member
Feb 9, 2001
Wetumpka, AL
What was the first Bama game you attended? Oct. 12, 1974 at BDS. Bama vs. Fla. State.
What were the circumstances of your attendance?Daddy took me to my first Bama game as a 10 yr old.
Where did you get the ticket?Daddy got them somewhere. :)
Where did you sit?Don't remember the exact section, but we sat on the west side. That was before any upper deck additions.
Who took you (or with whom did you attend )?It was me, Daddy, my grandfather (Papa) and my brother.
What was the outcome and any particular meaningful plays or players or events you remember about the game?Bama won 8-7. Bucky Berry kicked a FG at the end to win it. Richard Todd was QB that year but was hurt. I believe Jack O'Rear was his back up and played that day.
Do you still have the ticket?Nope. Wish I did. Would frame them.
How much was the ticket (face value and/or what you paid)?Don't know, but thinking about prices from back then couldn't have been more than $15.
Any other observations about the game you want to share. So many memories! The main one that sticks out was we always got to games very early and would be there when the buses unloaded. Back then they unloaded on the south side of BDS. We were there when the players were walking off the bus - there wasn't the crowd control you have nowadays so we were kind of intermingled with the players. I remember the crowd opening up and here comes Coach Bryant. I was a little fella and he walked right by me - huge man. I felt like I had just seen God walk by.

alabama mike1

All-American
Jul 12, 2013
Ohio

• What was the first Bama game you attended? (Date, opponent, location, outcome) November 4, 1978 against Mississippi State, Legion Field and we won 35-14
  • What were the circumstances of your attendance? A group of high school friends going to a game.
  • Where did you get the ticket? A friend in high school.
  • Where did you sit? south endzone
  • Who took you (or with whom did you attend )? road down with 3 other guys from school.
  • What was the outcome and any particular meaningful plays or players or events you remember about the game? 35-14. Shell shocked to see that many very good players on a team.
  • Do you still have the ticket? Yes and the program.
  • How much was the ticket (face value and/or what you paid)? $15 I believe, its all in a secure location.
  • Any other observations about the game you want to share. Seeing Coach Bryant standing at the goal post.

Last edited:

BamaDMD

Hall of Fame
Sep 10, 2007
Rainsville Al
I copy-pasted your template NationalTitles17.

• What was the first Bama game you attended? (Date, opponent, location, outcome)
  • 1985 Alabama-Cincinatti game in Tuscaloosa

• What were the circumstances of your attendance?

I had placed an interest in University of Alabama as one of my college choices. A couple of my buddies and I received tickets from the UA for this game. I was a Junior in high school and we made a road trip out of it.

• Where did you get the ticket?
    University of Alabama - free

• Where did you sit?

North end zone, top row.

• Who took you (or with whom did you attend )?

Some friends from high school.

• What was the outcome and any particular meaningful plays or players or events you remember about the game?

45-10. Mike Shula was QB. The stadium was just the lower bowl with the big press box on the west side that towered above the bowl. The campus tour was great. I ended up attending UAB for my undergrad because I thought it might help with getting in and transitioning to dental school.

• Do you still have the ticket?

• It might actually be at my parents house mixed in with some other memorabilia. (I may check now thinking about it)

• How much was the ticket (face value and/or what you paid)?

Free.

• Any other observations about the game you want to share.
  • Was almost a perfect day for me and my friends until we got back to my car. I realized that I had locked my keys in the car and it cost me 75$ to get a locksmith to get them out for me.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
Bama-Vandy 1969 at Dudley Field. My Dad had two Vandy season tickets so I got to go when Mama wasn’t interested. We sat on the 20 yard line 22 rows up next to the isle. Vandy won 14-10. I don’t remember much about the game but I was excited to see Coach Bryant and Scott Hunter.

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
My first game was Alabama vs Richmond 66-0 on November 11, 1961. Our high school football team received tickets and we sat as a group on the press box side near the south end zone. It represents quite a memory to have seen Coach Bryant's first national championship team and the legendary Pat Trammell in the game.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
some of the recent threads have inspired me to start a series of threads over the coming days.

To kick it off, I want to ask a few questions:
  • What was the first Bama game you attended? (Date, opponent, location, outcome)
  • What were the circumstances of your attendance?
  • Where did you get the ticket?
  • Where did you sit?
  • Who took you (or with whom did you attend )?
  • What was the outcome and any particular meaningful plays or players or events you remember about the game?
  • Do you still have the ticket?
  • How much was the ticket (face value and/or what you paid)?
  • Any other observations about the game you want to share.
1. 1995, vs. North Texas. I'm going to try to go all from memory - no Google, so Selma correct me if I'm wrong. We won 38-19. It was not a particularly great game. I can't remember if the bowl ban had been announced yet or not. Brian Steger was the main TB that day, and I remember he had a long run at one point. I can't remember date, but seems like it was October. We wore jackets but shed them during the game. It was at Bryant-Denny and still the most magical moment I've ever experienced for a football game. Walking into that stadium was the most impressive thing a 12 year old had seen up to that point in his life. This was back when capacity was 70,123.

2. My uncle and aunt had season tickets. The offered to take us down to the game, and we'd get tickets down there.

3. If memory serves, we got tickets outside the stadium that day.

4. They were great seats. We were on the East side, so no upper deck and we were in the sun, but it was a mild day. About the 40 yard line or so, and about 50 rows up. Seems we were near the top of the bowl, but not the very top.

5. My dad and I rode with my aunt and uncle (Mom's brother).

6. As I said in #1, we beat North Texas that day. I remember Brian Steger having a decent game.

7. No, I don't. We never thought about keeping tickets.

8. I can't remember the price.

9. We also visited the Bryant Museum that day. The overall experience is one I will forever cherish. It was the first game my dad and I ever went to.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.