Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Administrator &
    Editor-in-Chief

Article Spring practice: 10 positions, 10 questions

Spring practice: 10 positions, 10 questions
    by Jess Nicholas
    TideFans Editor-In-Chief
    March 9th, 2019 05:09 PM

Alabama’s first spring practice is in the books. Given the way the 2018 season ended, there will probably be greater fan scrutiny on 2019 spring practices than in recent years. Here’s our look at 10 key positions headed into spring, which could see more shuffling of personnel […]

Read More Here
    Last edited by BamaNation; March 9th, 2019 at 09:10 PM.
    Jess Nicholas
    Editor-In-Chief
    TideFans.com

BamaNation All-American

Re: Spring practice: 10 positions, 10 questions

A must read. I love reporting/writing that makes its audience smarter. Thanks, and well done.

Thanks, Jess. Nice to read your analysis again.

BamaNation Hall of Fame GrayTide's Avatar

Great analysis, lots of holes to fill and lots of backups who need game experience. Thanks Jess.
    "My momma always said you got to put the past behind you before you can move on." Forrest Gump

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Where ever there's BBQ, Crawfish & Football

I'm curious to see just how different the offensive philosophy will be from Locksley to Sark (as Jess mentioned in his review). I felt we tended to get a little soft on the OL at times from being a more pass first oriented offense. It's tough to find the balance of keeping your OL "physical" yet not becoming so one dimensional in doing so. But I definitely felt there were times when we'd gotten away from the running game to the point that our OL just lost some of it's physicality.
    The existence of God isn't determined in the thoughts of man. God exists, no matter what man thinks.

"It cost a lot of money to look this cheap."-Dolly Parton.

"If you ever want to know how good your barbecue is start charging for it"-Myron Mixon

BamaNation All-American

Based on these comments from Jess, I wonder what his assessment would be in regards to this team being championship caliber this year.

The offense certainly is capable but I really worried about this defense and our special teams for the upcoming season.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Administrator &
    Editor-in-Chief

Quote Originally Posted by JDCrimson View Post
    Based on these comments from Jess, I wonder what his assessment would be in regards to this team being championship caliber this year.

The offense certainly is capable but I really worried about this defense and our special teams for the upcoming season.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    I would be a little surprised if Bama doesn't make the playoffs. Too soon to tell what happens from there because everyone has to establish an identity first.

Georgia is the biggest stumbling block. Auburn will be a tough out if they find a quarterback. Texas A&M will be better. Not sure what to think about LSU. Arkansas is improving but they can't do much with us yet. I think State and Ole Miss will be matching dumpster fires.

I would not be surprised at all for the loser of a UGA-UA conference championship game making the playoffs this year.
    Jess Nicholas
    Editor-In-Chief
    TideFans.com

Administrator &
    Editor-in-Chief

Quote Originally Posted by Bamabuzzard View Post
    I'm curious to see just how different the offensive philosophy will be from Locksley to Sark (as Jess mentioned in his review). I felt we tended to get a little soft on the OL at times from being a more pass first oriented offense. It's tough to find the balance of keeping your OL "physical" yet not becoming so one dimensional in doing so. But I definitely felt there were times when we'd gotten away from the running game to the point that our OL just lost some of it's physicality.
    Just my opinion: Having yet to see a lot of Flood in person as an OL coach, I think the chances we end up better there are substantially higher than us remaining the same or getting worse. I was subtle about it the last couple of years, maybe too subtle, but I was not a Key fan.
    Jess Nicholas
    Editor-In-Chief
    TideFans.com

BamaNation All-SEC tide power fan's Avatar

Great write up Jess

BamaNation All-American ccc2259's Avatar

Well done, Jess. Thanks for the insight.
    "Bryant can take his'n and beat your'n, and then he can turn around and take your'n and beat his'n." -- Houston Oiler head coach Bum Phillips, a former player under Coach Bryant

BamaNation All-SEC

Quote Originally Posted by JessN View Post
    Just my opinion: Having yet to see a lot of Flood in person as an OL coach, I think the chances we end up better there are substantially higher than us remaining the same or getting worse. I was subtle about it the last couple of years, maybe too subtle, but I was not a Key fan.
    Would love to get more of your thoughts on Key/OL. After watching closely for the last couple of years I honestly couldn't tell if the issue was coaching, or with some individual players. For example, IMO, while Cotton did a lot of things well, his execution on combo blocks in the run game caused a lot of problems. It seemed he very often left the initial block to early, before the combo was really sealed and his teammate was able to turn his hips, allowing the defender to slide into the gap easier than he should. It's hard to know if this is a problem with the coach not addressing it or helping a player fix it, or if the coach is trying, but the player just isn't getting it.

BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaMoon's Avatar

When does practice resume?

Quote Originally Posted by BamaMoon View Post
    When does practice resume?
    Monday afternoon.