Game Thread: OFFICIAL POSTGAME THREAD - Bama v. The Hogs... - Page 2
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Re: OFFICIAL POSTGAME THREAD - Bama v. The Hogs...

Beating UK was great, especially for us fans, but in reality the season ended for the players that day. They were never the same. With that win we stood at 10-3, finished 7-11.

This is the first time since the 1999 season that I didn't attend a game.
    Watch your thoughts; they become words.
    Watch your words; they become actions.
    Watch your actions; they become habits.
    Watch your habits; they become character.
    Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.

BamaNation All-American Tide Rev's Avatar

At least the baseball and softball teams are playing well at the moment...

BamaNation Hall of Fame cuda.1973's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BamaNation View Post
    Wow. In a gotta have it game we showed no energy or sense of purpose. We are 1 and done in the NIT against some multi directional or small parochial school with this effort.
    Hopefully, at Coleman. With a certain AD in the front row.
    "I hate morning people.
    And mornings.

And people!"

Quote Originally Posted by Tide Rev View Post
    At least the baseball and softball teams are playing well at the moment...
    I agree baseball is moving in to conference play next week,so the ride will be getting tougher but I think the guys will compete. The girls have a chance to be really special this season.

BamaNation All-SEC

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson1967 View Post
    We play Ole Miss Thursday night at 6:00.
    Almost a whole week to reset, recharge, and go further into reverse.

Unless there's a 40-point differential in the last game of the season, which should be Ole Miss, Avery gets another year if he wants it, undeserved as that year may be. Unless he takes a leave of absence to make a 30-for-30 "InepTide: How I Took a Laggard Program Into the Abyss With Sleepwalking Players Who Couldn't There Fast Enough"...

This says it all here. CAJ’s teams are mentally soft and they do not make adjustments at all! I’m beyond done and I apologize to anyone last year that I called crazy for wanting him gone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What remains to be seen is how important the basketball program is to those with the financial means to make the change? CAJ’s buyout is a reported $8.5 to $9 million at present but drops to the $6 million range sometime in April.
    So is $6 million enough of a reason to keep someone that is perceived by many as the 12th best coach in the league for another year?
    Last edited by CB4; March 9th, 2019 at 08:04 PM.

I really feel bad for these players. Most of them seem like good kids who really want to win but they look absolutely lost a lot of the time. The execution of the fundamental skills of the game are weak. The offensive philosophy is confusing with no structure. On defense they are continually caught out of position or unable to stay with their man. You have to have good players to win but you also have to have someone at the top who can teach and direct them on how to do it. We have a football coach who is one of the greatest examples of how that is done.

BamaNation All-American

There has to be something more to this whole thing. This has basically been the same uninspired play we have had over the last 10-12 years across the 3 head coaches. Different players but same swoons on the road or late in the season.

We really have to take inventory of our basketball program because we have tried 3 different approaches and get the same results. 1) Slimeball coach 2) quiet conservative disciplined coach 3) NBA acclaimed HoF player coach = same results. Which I lean toward it being the type players we are recruiting - heavily athletic but weak fundamentally.

We need to 1) renovate our arena and shrink the venue 2) find a new generation Wimp who is strong fundamentally and stressed discipline, and 3) get 3yr+ players tough enough to play around the rim with a couple dead eye shooters.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by CB4 View Post
    What remains to be seen is how important the basketball program is to those with the financial means to make the change? CAJ’s buyout is a reported $8.5 to $9 million at present but drops to the $6 million range sometime in April.
    So is $6 million enough of a reason to keep someone that is perceived by many as the 12th best coach in the league for another year?
    It drops to 6 million on 4/19 but stays there for several years, so I see no point in retaining him past that. From his demeanor on the sideline, I think he's already gone mentally. Whatever he's go going, I hope he goes ahead and takes it. I can't imagine what next year will be like with no true post player...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

“I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is.” Albert Camus

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

BamaNation All-American Crimson Speed's Avatar

It is heartbreaking that we cannot have one of the top teir basketball teams in this conference. It appears to me that we have decent talent, but gosh, what is going on that causes us to play such an unorganized game tonight? I realize we had a couple of key players out with injuries, but that should be no excuse for all the repeated turnovers. Need I mention we might have stood a chance if we could hit even a few free throws. So disappointing to play so sloppy. Something has to change or we will take up permanent seat beside Vandy. I believe the fans of this university deserve a team that can compete for SEC championships. I'm not saying we should always expect to win the SEC, but at least we should be in the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by JDCrimson View Post
    There has to be something more to this whole thing. This has basically been the same uninspired play we have had over the last 10-12 years across the 3 head coaches. Different players but same swoons on the road or late in the season.

We really have to take inventory of our basketball program because we have tried 3 different approaches and get the same results. 1) Slimeball coach 2) quiet conservative disciplined coach 3) NBA acclaimed HoF player coach = same results. Which I lean toward it being the type players we are recruiting - heavily athletic but weak fundamentally.

We need to 1) renovate our arena and shrink the venue 2) find a new generation Wimp who is strong fundamentally and stressed discipline, and 3) get 3yr+ players tough enough to play around the rim with a couple dead eye shooters.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    I agree that results have been the same but I think in each case those results were driven by different problems. Gottfried’s extra curricular activities had him “checking out” his last few seasons. Grant’s team played very good fundamental defense but had no real definitive offensive scheme and consistently poor shooting. Johnson’s teams have been ones, in my opinion, where you have five players on the court with no team concept. At times they look like a team from a pick up game at the YMCA on a Saturday morning. Look at any five out there at anytime and say “ok who is the alpha dog here? Who is the leader”? Lewis has been the “scorer” but where is the “tough as a $2 steak” guy that provides the glue? There isn’t one.

But I can’t agree with you more that we need a guy that finds the tough minded, hard working skilled players that aren’t necessarily the ones looking to be on campus eight months and a lottery pick in June.
    Last edited by CB4; March 9th, 2019 at 08:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    It drops to 6 million on 4/19 but stays there for several years, so I see no point in retaining him past that. From his demeanor on the sideline, I think he's already gone mentally. Whatever he's go going, I hope he goes ahead and takes it. I can't imagine what next year will be like with no true post player...
    If that is the case then Byrne needs get to his short list ready. There isn’t any sense in waiting to pull the trigger next year.