Game Thread: OFFICIAL POSTGAME THREAD - Bama v. The Hogs... - Page 5
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    BamaNation All-SEC TheTradition's Avatar

Re: OFFICIAL POSTGAME THREAD - Bama v. The Hogs...

It's time to move on from Avery. I was excited when we hired him, but the results speak for themselves. It's the same song and dance every year. Without Sexton bailing us out last year, we would have zero tournament appearances in four years.

It's also time to stop using the next recruiting class as justification to keep him. Everybody was excited about that 2017 class that had Sexton, Petty, Herb, Galin, & Reese. Those guys (obviously excluding Sexton) are the core of our team now, and look where we are. We should be past "the next recruiting class is the one that will get us there" in year 4.

EDIT: Also, did I mention that Avery makes as much as Tony Bennett and more than Jay Wright?
    Last edited by TheTradition; March 10th, 2019 at 08:14 PM.
    "We don't really hire people to come in here and do what they do - we hire them to come in and do what we want them to do."

Coach Nick Saban - Press Conference: 3/21/11

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by TheTradition View Post
    It's time to move on from Avery. I was excited when we hired him, but the results speak for themselves. It's the same song and dance every year. Without Sexton bailing us out last year, we would have zero tournament appearances in four years.

It's also time to stop using the next recruiting class as justification to keep him. Everybody was excited about that 2017 class that had Sexton, Petty, Herb, Galin, & Reese. Those guys (obviously excluding Sexton) are the core of our team now, and look where we are. We should be past "the next recruiting class is the one that will get us there" in year 4.

EDIT: Also, did I mention that Avery makes as much as Tony Bennett and more than Jay Wright?
    Yes, thank you for the statement about salary. We overpaid to get AJ, and where did that get us? Some seem to think that throwing money at the problem will help. We're not going to get a proven big dog who is already at a blue-blood program. We need a solid basketball guy with some energy. That's it. A million and a half or two should be able to get us a very, very capable coach.

Super Moderator NationalTitles17's Avatar

College basketball has been so dirty for so long that I don't know we could get anyone who hasn't been tainted by the filth. I don't know that it matters much at this point because everyone is dirty. Everyone has known about this mess, including everyone in the college game and the NCAA, for years. It's not a secret. It never was. And the powers that be turned a blind eye and let it happen and now it's completely out of control.

Getting the NBA to fix there issues will help, but CBB has to stop making excuses and clean up the mess. Either put a stop to it all or at least bring it above board and make it transparent instead of pretending your poo doesn't stink. It does. Bad. The daylight and some antiseptic will help.
    Roll Tide Roll!!!

The TideFan formerly known as NationalTitles16, NationalTitles15, NationalTitles14, NationalTitles13, and NationalTitles12.

Quote Originally Posted by NationalTitles17 View Post
    College basketball has been so dirty for so long that I don't know we could get anyone who hasn't been tainted by the filth. I don't know that it matters much at this point because everyone is dirty. Everyone has known about this mess, including everyone in the college game and the NCAA, for years. It's not a secret. It never was. And the powers that be turned a blind eye and let it happen and now it's completely out of control.

Getting the NBA to fix there issues will help, but CBB has to stop making excuses and clean up the mess. Either put a stop to it all or at least bring it above board and make it transparent instead of pretending your poo doesn't stink. It does. Bad. The daylight and some antiseptic will help.
    Did you accidentally post in the wrong thread?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BamaNation Hall of Fame DzynKingRTR's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NationalTitles17 View Post

You should tell us what you really think. Don't hold back so much.
    Architects do it with models.

Roll Tide Roll

BamaNation Hall of Fame 230kv_barehand's Avatar

I'm fine with giving him next year but that's it. I would not be mad if he found another job this offseason though.

As for coaches pay you can't always go by what is posted. According to the 2018 payscale by USA Today Bennett does make more as he has a lot of stuff added into his contract in terms of pay, etc. It even has Avery well above Roy Williams at North Carolina which is a joke, I promise you Roy makes just as much or almost as much as his ratfaced rival at Dookie who leads at almost 9 million. Williams has contracts with Nike and others as well as he pockets the money from his camps and other speaking engagements.
    I need you out there slinging coconuts and pineapples!

BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaMoon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rama Jama View Post
    While we've been sleeping, Auburn has taken the mantle from us as the best program in the state. Our team is underperforming, our facility is probably one of the worst basketball arenas in the state, and we seemed to be cursed to mediocrity. I didn't think it would be possible for us to fall this far this year, but it is clear coach Johnson has lost the team. It is time for a complete reboot. Unfortunately economics will come into play unless coach finds another job. If he doesn't, don't expect a move this year.
    That is certainly the perception...but I really think they only have one tangible advantage to us right now: The Auburn Arena. Obvioiusly, that's a HUGE advantage, but if we are just comparing talent and even results (wins and losses) it's not like they are suddenly a top team in the nation and are even basically mediocre even this year.

Other than the arena, the biggest other factor is they do seem to be trending up and us down and if that's what you meant then I agree. Their fans certainly feel better than us as well.

BamaNation All-SEC BamaBoySince89's Avatar

Also, did I mention that Avery makes as much as Tony Bennett and more than Jay Wright?
    I'm shocked Wright hasn't gotten a raise and even more appalled that that much money can't get us to at least one S16 in 4 years wit AJ

ROLL TIDE

BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaMoon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by crimson clear View Post
    I think you can judge a coach in any sport after 2 years and not necessarily on their win/ loss record. Do their teams show progressive improvement, do they make the most of the talent they have, do they play hard and more importantly smart. If the answer is yes then chances are that program will be successful. Unfortunately I don't think that's the case with this current basketball program and great talent alone does ensure winning.
    One of the best posts on the thread! I agree that at this point (way beyond 2 years) we should be seeing major progress but instead it's the opposite: regression.

Super Moderator NationalTitles17's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dayhiker View Post
    Did you accidentally post in the wrong thread?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It may seem that way, but no. The original point was about finding a new coach that is "clean". I don't know if it's possible because CBB is so dirty and has been for so long. It's a real problem.
    Roll Tide Roll!!!

The TideFan formerly known as NationalTitles16, NationalTitles15, NationalTitles14, NationalTitles13, and NationalTitles12.

https://twitter.com/abc/status/1104792030704746496

Starts around the 29:20 mark. Pretty much what many here have already said.

"I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson

Quote Originally Posted by CB4 View Post
    If that is the case then Byrne needs get to his short list ready. There isnt any sense in waiting to pull the trigger next year.
    Also, he missed the last two games of the #1 player in the state. If that doesn't show lack of interest, IDK what does. I think he's gone...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    Also, he missed the last two games of the #1 player in the state. If that doesn't show lack of interest, IDK what does. I think he's gone...
    He might not have been at the championship game (know the assistants were there), but he was at the semi-final game.

https://twitter.com/abc/status/1101161480685342720

"I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson