Game Thread: OFFICIAL POSTGAME THREAD - Bama v. The Hogs...

crimson clear

Suspended
Feb 27, 2018
I really feel bad for these players. Most of them seem like good kids who really want to win but they look absolutely lost a lot of the time. The execution of the fundamental skills of the game are weak. The offensive philosophy is confusing with no structure. On defense they are continually caught out of position or unable to stay with their man. You have to have good players to win but you also have to have someone at the top who can teach and direct them on how to do it. We have a football coach who is one of the greatest examples of how that is done.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
There has to be something more to this whole thing. This has basically been the same uninspired play we have had over the last 10-12 years across the 3 head coaches. Different players but same swoons on the road or late in the season.

We really have to take inventory of our basketball program because we have tried 3 different approaches and get the same results. 1) Slimeball coach 2) quiet conservative disciplined coach 3) NBA acclaimed HoF player coach = same results. Which I lean toward it being the type players we are recruiting - heavily athletic but weak fundamentally.

We need to 1) renovate our arena and shrink the venue 2) find a new generation Wimp who is strong fundamentally and stressed discipline, and 3) get 3yr+ players tough enough to play around the rim with a couple dead eye shooters.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
What remains to be seen is how important the basketball program is to those with the financial means to make the change? CAJ’s buyout is a reported $8.5 to $9 million at present but drops to the $6 million range sometime in April.
So is $6 million enough of a reason to keep someone that is perceived by many as the 12th best coach in the league for another year?
It drops to 6 million on 4/19 but stays there for several years, so I see no point in retaining him past that. From his demeanor on the sideline, I think he's already gone mentally. Whatever he's go going, I hope he goes ahead and takes it. I can't imagine what next year will be like with no true post player...

Crimson Speed

All-American
Oct 2, 2005
The Shoals, North West Alabama
It is heartbreaking that we cannot have one of the top teir basketball teams in this conference. It appears to me that we have decent talent, but gosh, what is going on that causes us to play such an unorganized game tonight? I realize we had a couple of key players out with injuries, but that should be no excuse for all the repeated turnovers. Need I mention we might have stood a chance if we could hit even a few free throws. So disappointing to play so sloppy. Something has to change or we will take up permanent seat beside Vandy. I believe the fans of this university deserve a team that can compete for SEC championships. I'm not saying we should always expect to win the SEC, but at least we should be in the hunt.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
There has to be something more to this whole thing. This has basically been the same uninspired play we have had over the last 10-12 years across the 3 head coaches. Different players but same swoons on the road or late in the season.

We really have to take inventory of our basketball program because we have tried 3 different approaches and get the same results. 1) Slimeball coach 2) quiet conservative disciplined coach 3) NBA acclaimed HoF player coach = same results. Which I lean toward it being the type players we are recruiting - heavily athletic but weak fundamentally.

We need to 1) renovate our arena and shrink the venue 2) find a new generation Wimp who is strong fundamentally and stressed discipline, and 3) get 3yr+ players tough enough to play around the rim with a couple dead eye shooters.

I agree that results have been the same but I think in each case those results were driven by different problems. Gottfried’s extra curricular activities had him “checking out” his last few seasons. Grant’s team played very good fundamental defense but had no real definitive offensive scheme and consistently poor shooting. Johnson’s teams have been ones, in my opinion, where you have five players on the court with no team concept. At times they look like a team from a pick up game at the YMCA on a Saturday morning. Look at any five out there at anytime and say “ok who is the alpha dog here? Who is the leader”? Lewis has been the “scorer” but where is the “tough as a $2 steak” guy that provides the glue? There isn’t one.

But I can’t agree with you more that we need a guy that finds the tough minded, hard working skilled players that aren’t necessarily the ones looking to be on campus eight months and a lottery pick in June.

Last edited:

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
It drops to 6 million on 4/19 but stays there for several years, so I see no point in retaining him past that. From his demeanor on the sideline, I think he's already gone mentally. Whatever he's go going, I hope he goes ahead and takes it. I can't imagine what next year will be like with no true post player...
If that is the case then Byrne needs get to his short list ready. There isn’t any sense in waiting to pull the trigger next year.

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
Yeah I noticed that as well. He seemed to not really care, same as the players.

Last edited:

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL

Don't over-inflate what CAJ did as an NBA coach. There was a reason why he was a tv studio analyst and not a NBA coach when we hired him.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL

This says it all here. CAJ’s teams are mentally soft and they do not make adjustments at all! I’m beyond done and I apologize to anyone last year that I called crazy for wanting him gone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Most teams try to make a run TOWARDS to the tournament in February and March. It looks like we’ve done our level best to run AWAY from the tournament in those months the last four years.

Tide&True

All-American
Sep 24, 2004
Murfreesboro, TN
Needless to say a change is needed. The players have lost their motivation and CAJ has no clue how to fix it.

beatthemtigers

All-American
Jan 4, 2006
I like the guys coming in including Fleming coming back from injury, If we somehow get Watford, then it’d be a really impressive class. Players are leaving and being replaced by guys that I think can be more productive with their minutes. I have lost some faith in Coach AJ, but I think next years lineup could be really good and maybe another offseason of experience he can improve on the coaching end a little. If his heart is in it, I think he’ll keep improving

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
I just can't imagine Watford stepping into this situation with better options on the table

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
I like the guys coming in including Fleming coming back from injury, If we somehow get Watford, then it’d be a really impressive class. Players are leaving and being replaced by guys that I think can be more productive with their minutes. I have lost some faith in Coach AJ, but I think next years lineup could be really good and maybe another offseason of experience he can improve on the coaching end a little. If his heart is in it, I think he’ll keep improving
I appreciate that you can stay positive when there seems to be absolutely nothing to be positive about. I wish they would just stop playing officially and not even show up for the SEC tournament. They seem to have unofficially quit playing, so just lock up the balls and turn off the lights at Coleman. Frankly, it's embarrassing. However, I am going to be inspired by your positive message and say Roll Tide! Beat Ole Miss!

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
We beat Ole Miss by 21 points this year. If we win Thursday, we get Kentucky, who we beat. Our semi-final game would likely be Tennessee, a team we took to the wire. The top seed is LSU, which is a big mess right now. So maybe #4 South Carolina makes the finals. We beat them in Columbia.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.