Link: Russian Trolls Still at Work...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Here is a comment from a friend of mine, Tim Clancy, who is a PHD candidate in such:

A reminder that the Russian trolls continue to advance their art faster than we as a society are catching up to them. And they are not looking to advance one side over another. Rather their strategy, as summarized by those who study them are two fold. First they are seeking to:

"...further divide and polarize the United States along ideological lines. As long as we are fighting among ourselves, we aren’t paying attention to what Putin is doing in Ukraine and elsewhere. Second, it attempts to undermine our trust in the institutions that sustain a strong nation and a strong democracy. The media, science, academia and the electoral process are all regular targets of troll venom. The Russians want to push us further apart while causing us to lose trust in what has traditionally made us strong." (article source in first comment)

The article gives examples of a range of highly sophisticated and nuanced Russian troll-memes now being deployed. These are not the crude social media posts of Cambridge Analytica:

"IRA’s work is much subtler, often more palatable and always seemingly more organic than Americans may imagine. The operators in St. Petersburg understand the way information is spread on the platforms they use and, more important, they understand how to reach their American audience. On the theory that it is easier to catch a fly with honey, many troll messages are not negative. Instead, they are cute, or educational, or uplifting, all in an attempt to gain credibility and followers."

The article gives examples of troll-memes as subtle as a polite congratulation of First Lady Obama to throw shade on First Lady Trump (and thus increase division.) Another example is a fake account set up as parody-account to spread hateful memes about Islam under the cover of humor against ISIS. That's some multilayered inception shizzle right there. The article provides data showing that Russia influence efforts are ELEVEN TIMES more likely to be liked or retweeted than regular tweets and how Russian generated tweets have numerous "tweet-of-the-week" awards and showed up as quotations by tons of journalists.* They are better at this than the Kardashians.

We've reached the point where none of us will be able to detect these efforts just upon observation anymore than we can see a pathogen by looking hard either. And although scientists can detect the pathogen with the microscope and I'm sure experts will track these influence efforts with other sophisticated tools, (#hamilton60wherearthou?) how are the rest of us to protect ourselves?

I would submit that reason is the best vaccination against the pathogen which are wholly designed to trigger our affective responses. Resist reacting emotionally and you bypass the vector of infection. Wait for 72hours. Research multiple credible sources. Phrase your comments with an aim to furthering a goal rather than airing an anxiety. Remember Russia doesn't want us to improve on anything, what they want is the paralysis of division and retrograde of distrust.

Resisting Russian efforts is no longer just a catch phrase any side can invoke upon another without one's own personal investment, growth or personal change of conduct. Nothing about reason requires us to ignore what is unreasonable. It does not mean ignoring injustice or abandoning concerns over illegal immigration, whatever cause floats are personal boats will still be there after we remove the influence of tweets. The Russian influence operations are targeting real divides because that's what matters. We can still pursue our individual and collective interests under a reasonable flag as effectively, if not more so, than emotions standard. Athena vs. Ares and all that.

We all need to take defending our *own* agency with the same vigor we're willing to attack someone else's. It's a, to borrow the phrase, a bare minimum reasonable reaction to ensure that what we do, and why we do it, remains something roughly assembling our own intention and not being used as a sock-puppet by Russian influence efforts and the many copycats the article indicates are springing up.

Civility is not weakness. Reason is not a vice. Nothing can ever grow from division and if it comes to the point a side can only win by subtraction, well the Russians are the only victors there anyways.

WaPo

tattooguy21

Suspended
Aug 14, 2012
Civility is not weakness. Reason is not a vice. Nothing can ever grow from division and if it comes to the point a side can only win by subtraction, well the Russians are the only victors there anyways.
WaPo
I dropped social media circa 2009 because I didn't like where it was going. Intrusiveness, lack of accountability, combined with the sharing of personal information for profit without the end-users knowledge showed me exactly where things were headed. Flash forward to the most recent election with the rise of disinformation and trolls.

I'm not smarter than most people, but I guess I'm not as stupid either. Take for example the vaccination situation, which at this time has purportedly been a Russian troll campaign. If your source of news is 1) Facebook 2) articles with 90% anonymous sources, or 3) Twitter, maybe these Russians don't need to be worried about being sophisticated.

We've all seen it, and probably even been guilty of it at least once in the past 8 years if we're being completely honest. People are addicted to outrage and having their POVs reinforced now and more. Not the civility or reason one would expect from a time in history where all the worlds knowledge is literally key strokes away.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I dropped social media circa 2009 because I didn't like where it was going. Intrusiveness, lack of accountability, combined with the sharing of personal information for profit without the end-users knowledge showed me exactly where things were headed. Flash forward to the most recent election with the rise of disinformation and trolls.

I'm not smarter than most people, but I guess I'm not as stupid either. Take for example the vaccination situation, which at this time has purportedly been a Russian troll campaign. If your source of news is 1) Facebook 2) articles with 90% anonymous sources, or 3) Twitter, maybe these Russians don't need to be worried about being sophisticated.

We've all seen it, and probably even been guilty of it at least once in the past 8 years if we're being completely honest. People are addicted to outrage and having their POVs reinforced now and more. Not the civility or reason one would expect from a time in history where all the worlds knowledge is literally key strokes away.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
It's not just Twitter and Facebook. The campaign extends to talk radio, "opinion TV," etc...

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
From your post, Earle:
Phrase your comments with an aim to furthering a goal rather than airing an anxiety. Remember Russia doesn't want us to improve on anything, what they want is the paralysis of division and retrograde of distrust.
Not very entertaining though - is it?

Agree with me or not - that's the crux of the issue as I see it.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
From your post, Earle:

Not very entertaining though - is it?

Agree with me or not - that's the crux of the issue as I see it.
Certainly doesn't entertain me. However, the article's point - and Tim's - is that they can indeed be entertaining, particularly when they're reinforcing preexisting prejudices...

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Here is a comment from a friend of mine, Tim Clancy, who is a PHD candidate in such:

A reminder that the Russian trolls continue to advance their art faster than we as a society are catching up to them. And they are not looking to advance one side over another. Rather their strategy, as summarized by those who study them are two fold. First they are seeking to:

"...further divide and polarize the United States along ideological lines. As long as we are fighting among ourselves, we aren’t paying attention to what Putin is doing in Ukraine and elsewhere. Second, it attempts to undermine our trust in the institutions that sustain a strong nation and a strong democracy. The media, science, academia and the electoral process are all regular targets of troll venom. The Russians want to push us further apart while causing us to lose trust in what has traditionally made us strong." (article source in first comment)

The article gives examples of a range of highly sophisticated and nuanced Russian troll-memes now being deployed. These are not the crude social media posts of Cambridge Analytica:

"IRA’s work is much subtler, often more palatable and always seemingly more organic than Americans may imagine. The operators in St. Petersburg understand the way information is spread on the platforms they use and, more important, they understand how to reach their American audience. On the theory that it is easier to catch a fly with honey, many troll messages are not negative. Instead, they are cute, or educational, or uplifting, all in an attempt to gain credibility and followers."

The article gives examples of troll-memes as subtle as a polite congratulation of First Lady Obama to throw shade on First Lady Trump (and thus increase division.) Another example is a fake account set up as parody-account to spread hateful memes about Islam under the cover of humor against ISIS. That's some multilayered inception shizzle right there. The article provides data showing that Russia influence efforts are ELEVEN TIMES more likely to be liked or retweeted than regular tweets and how Russian generated tweets have numerous "tweet-of-the-week" awards and showed up as quotations by tons of journalists.* They are better at this than the Kardashians.

We've reached the point where none of us will be able to detect these efforts just upon observation anymore than we can see a pathogen by looking hard either. And although scientists can detect the pathogen with the microscope and I'm sure experts will track these influence efforts with other sophisticated tools, (#hamilton60wherearthou?) how are the rest of us to protect ourselves?

I would submit that reason is the best vaccination against the pathogen which are wholly designed to trigger our affective responses. Resist reacting emotionally and you bypass the vector of infection. Wait for 72hours. Research multiple credible sources. Phrase your comments with an aim to furthering a goal rather than airing an anxiety. Remember Russia doesn't want us to improve on anything, what they want is the paralysis of division and retrograde of distrust.

Resisting Russian efforts is no longer just a catch phrase any side can invoke upon another without one's own personal investment, growth or personal change of conduct. Nothing about reason requires us to ignore what is unreasonable. It does not mean ignoring injustice or abandoning concerns over illegal immigration, whatever cause floats are personal boats will still be there after we remove the influence of tweets. The Russian influence operations are targeting real divides because that's what matters. We can still pursue our individual and collective interests under a reasonable flag as effectively, if not more so, than emotions standard. Athena vs. Ares and all that.

We all need to take defending our *own* agency with the same vigor we're willing to attack someone else's. It's a, to borrow the phrase, a bare minimum reasonable reaction to ensure that what we do, and why we do it, remains something roughly assembling our own intention and not being used as a sock-puppet by Russian influence efforts and the many copycats the article indicates are springing up.

WaPo
Russians are capitalizing (see what I did there?) on an already existing phenomenon that has been ripping at this country for quite some time - at least 40 years or longer (that's about all I can remember). Their efforts would not be effective without that fact.

I recognized the problem in me maybe 6-7 or so years ago and set on a course to try to correct it. I'm not perfect and actually fell for a similar tactic with the catholic school boys. I'm ashamed of my small part in all of it from the latest to the old "tried and true" stuff like "your guy did it, so..." and all the rest.

Ad frankly even the "defeat Trump at all costs" mantra falls right in line with the problem. When the focus is on getting rid of the opposition instead of really working to solve problems then nothing ever gets solved. That's part of the reason I don't give a damn if my vote is "wasted" according to the standards of idiots who think a certain party winning is the only way to spend a vote wisely. It's not. And I wish more people did it. That is, vote FOR a person and idea instead of against the other guy. I don't plan to ever truly waste my vote again by voting against someone - even Trump. To quote an 80's hairband "Give me somethin' to believe in" and maybe you'll earn my vote the old fashioned way. Otherwise, I'll keep "wasting" it on someone who is willing to solve problems. Being against someone else is not enough nor should it be.

I actually wonder how much of this pushing against the other side is fomented by foreigners. The divides were already there. Just give it a nudge and watch what happens.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Russians are capitalizing (see what I did there?) on an already existing phenomenon that has been ripping at this country for quite some time - at least 40 years or longer (that's about all I can remember). Their efforts would not be effective without that fact.

I recognized the problem in me maybe 6-7 or so years ago and set on a course to try to correct it. I'm not perfect and actually fell for a similar tactic with the catholic school boys. I'm ashamed of my small part in all of it from the latest to the old "tried and true" stuff like "your guy did it, so..." and all the rest.

Ad frankly even the "defeat Trump at all costs" mantra falls right in line with the problem. When the focus is on getting rid of the opposition instead of really working to solve problems then nothing ever gets solved. That's part of the reason I don't give a damn if my vote is "wasted" according to the standards of idiots who think a certain party winning is the only way to spend a vote wisely. It's not. And I wish more people did it. That is, vote FOR a person and idea instead of against the other guy. I don't plan to ever truly waste my vote again by voting against someone - even Trump. To quote an 80's hairband "Give me somethin' to believe in" and maybe you'll earn my vote the old fashioned way. Otherwise, I'll keep "wasting" it on someone who is willing to solve problems. Being against someone else is not enough nor should it be.

I actually wonder how much of this pushing against the other side is fomented by foreigners. The divides were already there. Just give it a nudge and watch what happens.
All true, of course, and the Russians turned out to be extraordinary good nudgers. When the Butina woman surfaced I remember wondering if the alt-right were so blinded by prejudice that they really believed her. Russia! Gun rights!?! Gimme a break. How stupid were all these guys?

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
All true, of course, and the Russians turned out to be extraordinary good nudgers. When the Butina woman surfaced I remember wondering if the alt-right were so blinded by prejudice that they really believed her. Russia! Gun rights!?! Gimme a break. How stupid were all these guys?

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
I'm not sure as badly as by a female Russian "gun rights advocate." I think that's a record that'll stand forever...
No argument there, but Russians were sending out messages about first ladies (MO vs MT education) and about the president himself being a Russian stooge. Makes me wonder what they are focused on now - defeat Trump at any cost along with the usual things for the other side?

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
not nearly to the same extent. the democrats are and have been pushing many avenues to try to address russian interference and the gop are the ones standing in their way.
Again, no argument here. My point was that few of us have been immune from what I've read. It's easy to fall for their tactics when their tactics focus on already existing divides.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Again, no argument here. My point was that few of us have been immune from what I've read. It's easy to fall for their tactics when their tactics focus on already existing divides.
it's been going on a while. the russians were smart enough to see the effectiveness of gop/talk radio messaging in the 90's and got in on the action. the rise of social media allowed it to be magnified even more than it was with talk radio and fox news. it's worked out very well for them.

link
Newt Gingrich's 1996 GOPAC memo

As you know, one of the key points in the GOPAC tapes is that "language matters." In the video "We are a Majority," Language is listed as a key mechanism of control used by a majority party, along with Agenda, Rules, Attitude and Learning. As the tapes have been used in training sessions across the country and mailed to candidates we have heard a plaintive plea: "I wish I could speak like Newt."

That takes years of practice. But, we believe that you could have a significant impact on your campaign and the way you communicate if we help a little. That is why we have created this list of words and phrases.

This list is prepared so that you might have a directory of words to use in writing literature and mail, in preparing speeches, and in producing electronic media. The words and phrases are powerful. Read them. Memorize as many as possible. And remember that like any tool, these words will not help if they are not used.

chanson78

All-American
Nov 1, 2005
Huntsville, AL
I honestly thing that this is going to be a generational thing. Until the people brought up in the internet age, and all the pitfalls it entails are of age to start making decisions, I have a feeling that most of this is going to be kicked around by a bunch of old people who still think the internet = AOL.

I was having a conversation with a friend who also works in the IT industry. There has to be something we can do to address the deficit that exists in the educational system that doesn't teach kids to be always questioning information as it is provided. Maybe it is inherent in our current educational format. IE Consume large quantities of facts and grade on the ability to accurately regurgitate those facts in a limited amount of time. It is times like these that I wish I had more of a sociology/psychology/education background to try and come up with something that could be distilled into a boot camp/summer camp/after school program to help teach those types of tools needed going forward. It is only going to get worse with deep fakes becoming ever cheaper to produce.

To bring it full circle. We (my IT industry friend) both recognized the issue when talking about problems with raising young children in todays connected environment. We have both come up with strategies to combat what we are observing in our own children, but that does little to solve the problem on a larger scale.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
I honestly thing that this is going to be a generational thing. Until the people brought up in the internet age, and all the pitfalls it entails are of age to start making decisions, I have a feeling that most of this is going to be kicked around by a bunch of old people who still think the internet = AOL.

I was having a conversation with a friend who also works in the IT industry. There has to be something we can do to address the deficit that exists in the educational system that doesn't teach kids to be always questioning information as it is provided. Maybe it is inherent in our current educational format. IE Consume large quantities of facts and grade on the ability to accurately regurgitate those facts in a limited amount of time. It is times like these that I wish I had more of a sociology/psychology/education background to try and come up with something that could be distilled into a boot camp/summer camp/after school program to help teach those types of tools needed going forward. It is only going to get worse with deep fakes becoming ever cheaper to produce.
Schools too often teach what to think instead of how to think is an old mantra, but it's too true.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
from a year ago

How The Russian Social Media Effort Boosted Bernie

Ben Nimmo, an expert on disinformation campaigns who works for the Atlantic Council, a Washington, D.C-based think tank, said he and other experts saw signs of Russian meddling in early 2016.

The two-front cyber war included hacks and leaks of Democratic Party emails, including those by John Podesta, Clinton's campaign chairman.

The second front was the online propaganda war — run mainly by a company in St. Petersburg called the Internet Research Agency — that set up dozens of fake accounts supporting Sanders and Trump and opposing Clinton.

The two fronts combined had an impact, Nimmo says. But — because you can't read the minds of individual voters — it's impossible gauge exactly how much it moved the electorate.

Yet Nimmo says there's no question it had an effect.

"When you put together the trolling, the propaganda, the leaking, all together, all interlocking, all amplifying each other, and then feeding into the febrile atmosphere of an American election, that's when you really get the damage being done," he says....

Other Facebook sites and Twitter accounts imitated Black Lives Matter or Muslim advocacy groups. And some were aimed at getting people not to vote....

"You had apparent Black Lives Matter accounts run from Russia telling African Americans it's better not to vote at all than vote for Hillary Clinton," Nimmo says. "So a classic vote suppression operation."

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
True, when those divides exist, you can sell a Butina, or even a supposedly Texas-based internet hate group with language mistakes only a Russian would make...

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Certainly doesn't entertain me. However, the article's point - and Tim's - is that they can indeed be entertaining, particularly when they're reinforcing preexisting prejudices...
There's nothing wrong with the entertainment aspect of most things in life - including politics.

But here it is 2019 and people are still stuck in the same dumb mindset....putting people into boxes (or categories) - labeling them - and then using that to attack. All in the (so-called) name of politics.

So childish....not to mention boring and lazy.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.