Cecil Hurt: Where Did Alabama's Hope Go?

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
That is a perfect synopsis of every AAU team I saw this weekend at an AAU tournament I had to work this weekend, save two (one boys, one girls - both in matching uniforms, sweats, and shoes).
I had to laugh. While the church gym our group usually played in was being refloored, we played for a while here at the Dallas Street Armory, which is open to the public. Well, there was a cancellation for our group and I didn't get the word, so I just participated in the shootaround and got picked, probably because I was really the only one with a jumper. Also, I was the only white face in the gym. We were playing HS kids and their little guard had a bad habit of hanging the ball out wide when he'd start a drive. I picked him off twice, with this adult running down the side shouting "Don't let him do that to you!!" I found out after we finished that they were an AAU team and he was the "coach."

Funny thing, the first time I stole him, and had taken off down the court, I could tell there was a guy catching up with me. I looked over and had a trailer to my right. I went up and flipped it behind me to him. He was so surprised, he didn't even take it in for a layup - just stopped and shot a weak little 8' jumper and missed. After that, I started paying more attention to the style they were playing. The name of the game was "take it to the rim," mano a mano, which was the reason my trailer was so shocked at being fed... :D

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.