Cecil Hurt: Where Did Alabama's Hope Go?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cecil Hurt: Where Did Alabama's Hope Go?

Click

At times in Alabama’s loss at Arkansas in Saturday evening’s basketball game, you would get the feeling that you were watching some weird experimental film, running backward, not forward in the way that one understands lineal time. As routine passes sailed three feet out of bounds, as Alabama fast-break opportunities repeatedly turned into blocked shots, or poor shot selection or turnovers that Arkansas efficiently took the other way, one got the feeling that this was a group of players who had met one another for the first time on the bus ride to the game.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson

BamaNation All-American alabama mike1's Avatar

Re: Cecil Hurt: Where Did Alabama's Hope Go?

Bottom line? We are just bad at basic fundamentals of the game! Once again, I sat down Saturday to watch this team and it was so painful to watch. We are not an NCAA tournament team, not even a play in team. Give an at-large bid to a team that wants to go and wants to play hard.

BamaNation All-American

Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post
    At this point in the season, the comments coming out of the coach's mouth are borderline delusional.

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEyeshade View Post
    At this point in the season, the comments coming out of the coach's mouth are borderline delusional.
    I agree. I wondered if he were trying to depress the team further. If it's reverse psychology, it's not going to work. I could tell him that...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

“I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is.” Albert Camus

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

I made the comment in an earlier post that at times this team reminded me of five players on a team at a pick up game at the Y. We all see it.

Is this a group incapable of playing within a team concept or is it a staff incapable of teaching it? Funny how there are teams out there that lose 3 or 4 starters every year, recruit top prospects, and improve throughout the season to playing sound, fundamental team basketball as they move through February and into March. For us that hasn’t occurred under CAJ. Look at his record in February and March the last four years.

I don’t buy the notion these players aren’t capable. Which leads me to only one other conclusion.
    Last edited by CB4; March 14th, 2019 at 11:39 AM.

BamaNation All-American

Quote Originally Posted by alabama mike1 View Post
    Bottom line? We are just bad at basic fundamentals of the game! Once again, I sat down Saturday to watch this team and it was so painful to watch. We are not an NCAA tournament team, not even a play in team. Give an at-large bid to a team that wants to go and wants to play hard.
    I think the kids are playing the way they are taught. At this level, you used to get kids who had good fundamentals on day one. Our players simply are not fundamentally sound. They have to be taught or retaught fundamentals 1st. Coach Johnson is focused on running NBA plays and we simply do not have the basic skills to run them. We simply don't dribble, shoot, pass, catch the ball, block out well. We show flashes at times because our athleticism covers up our lack of basketball skills. This is why were are so inconsistent.

Quote Originally Posted by Rama Jama View Post
    I think the kids are playing the way they are taught. At this level, you used to get kids who had good fundamentals on day one. Our players simply are not fundamentally sound. They have to be taught or retaught fundamentals 1st. Coach Johnson is focused on running NBA plays and we simply do not have the basic skills to run them. We simply don't dribble, shoot, pass, catch the ball, block out well. We show flashes at times because our athleticism covers up our lack of basketball skills. This is why were are so inconsistent.
    Then thank AAU and its "coaches"...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

“I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is.” Albert Camus

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

BamaNation All-American

Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    Then thank AAU and its "coaches"...
    Agreed. AAU has been VERY damaging to college basketball.

I had two kids that played AAU basketball (14U) that also played on my youth baseball team when I coached. Both were extremely athletic and very good players, both basketball and baseball wise.

I would go watch them play from time to time. Almost every game was how do we ”out athlete” the other guy. There was little in the way defensive fundamentals, rebounding techniques, set plays, screens, post ups, switching defenses, etc.. It was ridiculous.

BamaNation All-American

Watch Duke or North Carolina for a game or 2. What makes them consistently successful is their kids are good at the basics. Now watch us wildly go down court out of control and turn the ball over. We are in such a hurry to try to make the highlight play that we rarely make the right play.

BamaNation All-American

There is no time available on the AAU circuit for practice. It's all about playing games. The faster pace ball limits opportunities for kids to develop ballhandling and passing skills because the ball isnt in there hand long enough. No practice time to work on inbound plays, etc. I imagine CAJ spends most of his practice time on scrimmaging and ball movement. If no one on the team is fundamentally strong no one gets better competing against each other.

Generally, the the players who are fundamentally strong now are not competitive athletically so you still dont win. So what is the riddle here? There isnt enough allowable practice time to go back to basics of fundamentals. 20hrs per week for practice, working out, and meetings just isnt enough of you significant fundamentals issues.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

BamaNation All-SEC

Link: Liberty Tries to Flop Its Way Into the NCAA Tournament. Posting this as a bookend to Hurt's "Where Did the Hope Go?" and in the name of equanimity and poetic justice - with 'Bama Exhibit as the team that flopped its way out of the NCAA tournament...

BamaNation All-American ReturnToGlory's Avatar

Lots of great lines in Cecil's article.