News Article: Tua and Taulia Tagavaiola - First Practice together

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
If you stood them next to each other and took their numbers off the jersey, you almost couldn't tell them a part. You can tell they are brothers. Built a lot alike.
Agreed. I thought Lia was a little shorter but they look virtually the same height in that video.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I wouldn’t rule out Paul Tyson beating him out. From watching them up close last year I would think Tyson is a lot more further on than Taulia. Just imo
Exactly the opposite of what I've heard said about them. Since Tyson played the a Gus protege my understanding is he is not as develped as a downfield passer as Lia.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Exactly the opposite of what I've heard said about them. Since Tyson played the a Gus protege my understanding is he is not as develped as a downfield passer as Lia.
That’s a lot because Lia is hyped up because of his High school coach and his brother. He is good but how good remains the question
Hearing and seeing are two different things. I’ve seen Lia about 3 more times than I’ve seen Tyson (7-4) and I’ve never been wowed by Lia to the level that many Alabama fans have been. He is good but not the second coming of Tua. I’ve came away more impressed with Tyson than Lia. IMO .

FWIW i don’t care who wins that future battle. I’m just saying it’s not a forgone conclusion like I hear many say.

Last edited:

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
That’s a lot because Lia is hyped up because of his High school coach and his brother. He is good but how good remains the question
Hearing and seeing are two different things. I’ve seen Lia about 3 more times than I’ve seen Tyson (7-4) and I’ve never been wowed by Lia to the level that many Alabama fans have been. He is good but not the second coming of Tua. I’ve came away more impressed with Tyson than Lia. IMO .

FWIW i don’t care who wins that future battle. I’m just saying it’s not a forgone conclusion like I hear many say.
I don't think it's a foregone conclusion either. Tyson has TONS of upside.

dWarriors88

All-American
Jan 4, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Didn’t mean to knock our little legacy at QB. Heard Paul Tyson is good, but I’ve been hearing Taulia is better than his big brother for a while now..

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
I don't think either are anything at this point. The question is which of them or if either of them is capable of getting better. Tua didn't have the hype in high school that some others had but in the camp circuit he got better and better and he grew quite a bit his freshman season.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Didn’t mean to knock our little legacy at QB. Heard Paul Tyson is good, but I’ve been hearing Taulia is better than his big brother for a while now..
Better than Tua? I haven't heard that and, frankly, based on what I saw in the HS game I watched of his last fall I don't buy it. Not as accurate as Tua, IIRC, and forced a few throws as well. I have no doubt Tua will help him and he'll improve.

Also Remember that Tyson got to practice during the bowl season and Lia was still rehabing his shoulder.

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
Since Tyson has been brought into the conversation I see a situation in the future similar to what went on with Tua and Jalen where if both Taulia and Tyson turn out to be good the loser of that QB competition may look elsewhere to finish their college career. I'm excited to have them both for now but just looking realistically at the way college football is these days. The dangers of recruiting two good ones in the same class.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I asked someone close to Tua at a game the same question he said “who ever has been saying Lia is better than or equal to Tua is either blind or doesn’t know what they are talking about. Lia is good maybe great but Tua is a generational talent” his words not mine.

Last edited:

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
This is not intended as a knock on Taulia, but I have seen many coaches over the years sign a family member or high school teammate to make sure that the school lands the recruit they really want. I have only seen Taulia play on TV and cannot attest to his ability or potential.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Appears to be. Have seen and heard numerous people call him that.
I first heard it from his HS coach and team mates in an article with quotes from those folks last year. They all called him "Lia".

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
Lia is a much better passer than Tyson at this point as I think Tyson has a high upside as well. Both are good but Taulia is the better QB at least coming out of h.s. Not sure I would believe anyone that says he is/was better than Tua coming out of h.s., Taulia is good but not that good.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Lia is a much better passer than Tyson at this point as I think Tyson has a high upside as well. Both are good but Taulia is the better QB at least coming out of h.s. Not sure I would believe anyone that says he is/was better than Tua coming out of h.s., Taulia is good but not that good.
Part of that is because Tyson was in the wrong system. He was running the equivalent of what Gus runs. Just wasn't going to work.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
I first heard it from his HS coach and team mates in an article with quotes from those folks last year. They all called him "Lia".
Yep. I am in the Bham market and heard many of his teammates and coach call him Lia in print and on TV. Nothing different than calling an Elizabeth a Beth.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.