At Least 47 Indicted in Nationwide College Admissions Cheating and Recruiting Scheme

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
They are in no way connected to this----the story is about "elite" universities. But I agree---if the Feds are looking into 501(c)3s, that puckering sound you are hearing is coming out of Oxford and West Georgia.
https://www.foxnews.com/us/college-entrance-exam-cheating
Dunno know 'bout that - could explain the surfeit of "3-stars" getting "accepted" at All Bran and then dispensed with. They could be .5 (point-.5) stars with kick-backs accounting for the other 2 1/2 stars then they go elsewhere to the more prestigious likes of Black Hills Ore & Ordure Scholastic U. or Invertebrate Animal Husbandry Accounting College.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Last edited:

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Going to need to read more about this case. Have some questions about it all could happen.

Rich people pay a coach to claim student is also an athlete to help student move up the list of students to accept.

Student is not offered an athletic scholarship?

Student gets on campus but doesn't participate?

Someone else has to be involved, right? Or am I missing something?
why can't they just pay for a building or make a donation to the endowment fund like all of the other rich folks?

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Ok - I'm gonna show how absolutely dumb I am (yet again).

On April 11, 1987 (don't ask), I took my ACT for the third time. I'd done well on the first two (top 9%), but I needed one more point for a possible full ride to UA. I didn't have a driver's license at the time, and Mom had an appointment so she dropped me off at the university (MUW) to take my exam. She left, I realized I didn't have any ID and since I'd left my Iphone at home I had a real dilemma. Everyone coming in recognized me, knew me by name, called me by name. But since none of these were the test proctor/administrator, I was stuck. I got on the phone and got Dad at home and - if you can believe this - he hauled down a couple of high school yearbooks with my name by my picture. I took my seat just as they were about to start the timer for the first portion of the exam, English, which is a second language to us rednecks.

Anyway.....every time I hear a story about how an athlete (David Palmer was accused of this) had someone else take his ACT/SAT, I sit there wondering how that's even possible without MULTIPLE assistants looking the other way. Two years ago (4/22/17 to be precise), I took an ASCP exam, and they're so fancy now, they have you check in with your thumbprint almost like Wesley Snipes used the dude's eye in "Demolition Man."

So......how does this happen?

I mean, even if you get a guy who is going to do this, you HAVE to have some assistance from the "right people" on the inside, or it won't work. You require someone to at least pretend that you are David Palmer, a short, black athlete well-known as the state's Mr Football...while being a tall, white dude who is athletically challenged. You have the same basic thing here.

It seems to me it would require help.

(Note: a friend of mine went to prison in the infamous Louisville VA scandal of 2008, which I'll explain if anyone has insomnia. That required TWO persons on the inside and on the take - and even then it got exposed about 4 years into the soup. They defrauded the VA over $2 million with 14 phony disability claims).

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
Heh. Dumb privileged kids achieved little academic significance in high school, so their anti-merit parents forked over lots of cash and committed felonies so said kids could go and achieve little in college. Do I have this right?

Makes me angry that I had to rely on an academic scholarship and three jobs to put myself through undergrad. Eh, no it doesn't.

Last edited:

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I suppose it should, but this story is barely moving the needle on my Give a Darn meter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
This is the kinda stuff that radicalizes me hah. These people got caught because they're dumb new money and don't understand how the game is played.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
This is the kinda stuff that radicalizes me hah. These people got caught because they're dumb new money and don't understand how the game is played.
No kidding. For that much money, you can buy your way in to just about any of those places, through the front door.

I'm reminded of a work colleague whose daughter was going through sorority rush at aTm several years ago. In some subtle ways, and other not-so-subtle ways, they let the girl and her dad know that a donation to the sorority would "help" her chances at a spot.

The going market rate for a guaranteed spot in a prestigious sorority? $50K. And that was a while back. I'm sure it's more now.

Don't know if that's common at UA or not. Given the palaces they have today, I could argue either way -- either they need headcount to pay for them, so the large pledge classes cut down on the competition. Or they can't realistically pay for those Taj Mahals through headcount alone, and need another source of cash, and if the sorority is prestigious enough, they can get away with it, class size notwithstanding.

I do know of a single instance in the early '70s. A not-so-attractive or bright or popular girl had a really wealthy father. He offered money to one of the most sought-after sororities, and they took a girl they never would have otherwise considered. But that was at the parent's instigation, not the sorority's, and highly unusual at the time.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
This isn’t the least bit surprising to me - wealthy have been doing things like this for as long as I can remember (using their money underhandedly to get what they want but don’t deserve).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.