At Least 47 Indicted in Nationwide College Admissions Cheating and Recruiting Scheme - Page 3
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Re: At Least 47 Indicted in Nationwide College Admissions Cheating and Recruiting Sch

Quote Originally Posted by 92tide View Post
    why can't they just pay for a building or make a donation to the endowment fund like all of the other rich folks?
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson

BamaNation Hall of Fame selmaborntidefan's Avatar

Re: At Least 47 Indicted in Nationwide College Admissions Cheating and Recruiting Sch

Ok - I'm gonna show how absolutely dumb I am (yet again).

On April 11, 1987 (don't ask), I took my ACT for the third time. I'd done well on the first two (top 9%), but I needed one more point for a possible full ride to UA. I didn't have a driver's license at the time, and Mom had an appointment so she dropped me off at the university (MUW) to take my exam. She left, I realized I didn't have any ID and since I'd left my Iphone at home I had a real dilemma. Everyone coming in recognized me, knew me by name, called me by name. But since none of these were the test proctor/administrator, I was stuck. I got on the phone and got Dad at home and - if you can believe this - he hauled down a couple of high school yearbooks with my name by my picture. I took my seat just as they were about to start the timer for the first portion of the exam, English, which is a second language to us rednecks.

Anyway.....every time I hear a story about how an athlete (David Palmer was accused of this) had someone else take his ACT/SAT, I sit there wondering how that's even possible without MULTIPLE assistants looking the other way. Two years ago (4/22/17 to be precise), I took an ASCP exam, and they're so fancy now, they have you check in with your thumbprint almost like Wesley Snipes used the dude's eye in "Demolition Man."

So......how does this happen?

I mean, even if you get a guy who is going to do this, you HAVE to have some assistance from the "right people" on the inside, or it won't work. You require someone to at least pretend that you are David Palmer, a short, black athlete well-known as the state's Mr Football...while being a tall, white dude who is athletically challenged. You have the same basic thing here.

It seems to me it would require help.

(Note: a friend of mine went to prison in the infamous Louisville VA scandal of 2008, which I'll explain if anyone has insomnia. That required TWO persons on the inside and on the take - and even then it got exposed about 4 years into the soup. They defrauded the VA over $2 million with 14 phony disability claims).
    My New Year's resolution for 2019 is this year I'm not going to drink anymore. I'm not going to drink any less, either.

I was married for 25 years, but if I'd killed her on the honeymoon, I'd have been out in less than 20.

Butch Jones has richly earned his title, The Archbishop of Talentbury

After reading all the horrible things drinking will do to you....I gave up reading.

BamaNation Hall of Fame selmaborntidefan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 92tide View Post
    why can't they just pay for a building or make a donation to the endowment fund like all of the other rich folks?
    I don't know if you ever watched "Full House," but Lori Laughlin wasn't very well endowed.....
    My New Year's resolution for 2019 is this year I'm not going to drink anymore. I'm not going to drink any less, either.

I was married for 25 years, but if I'd killed her on the honeymoon, I'd have been out in less than 20.

Butch Jones has richly earned his title, The Archbishop of Talentbury

After reading all the horrible things drinking will do to you....I gave up reading.

BamaNation Hall of Fame Bodhisattva's Avatar

Heh. Dumb privileged kids achieved little academic significance in high school, so their anti-merit parents forked over lots of cash and committed felonies so said kids could go and achieve little in college. Do I have this right?

Makes me angry that I had to rely on an academic scholarship and three jobs to put myself through undergrad. Eh, no it doesn't.
    Last edited by Bodhisattva; March 12th, 2019 at 05:44 PM.
    Bodhi

Lily (age 6): Daddy, I know what I want to be when I grow up: an artist.
    Bodhi (internally groaning): Yeah? What kind of artist?
    Lily: A balloon animal artist!
    Bodhi (face palm)

BamaNation Hall of Fame DzynKingRTR's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by selmaborntidefan View Post
    "They"?

The kid or the somebody bribed?

(Sorry, I'm a syntax jerk).

Both I'm guessing.
    Yes, both.
    Architects do it with models.

Roll Tide Roll

Quote Originally Posted by selmaborntidefan View Post
    I don't know if you ever watched "Full House," but Lori Laughlin wasn't very well endowed.....
    No not very much, but she was a hand full.

Roll Tide Roll

Just a barner.

There goes Davis!

Quote Originally Posted by AUDub View Post
    He is on the Mount Rushmore of worse fake southern accent ever.

Roll Tide Roll

And these are people that can actually AFFORD to send their kids to college.

SMH

BamaNation Hall of Fame Crimson1967's Avatar

I suppose it should, but this story is barely moving the needle on my Give a Darn meter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BamaNation Hall of Fame

This is the kinda stuff that radicalizes me hah. These people got caught because they're dumb new money and don't understand how the game is played.
    I owe it to the people to have a signature...so here goes nothing!

FB|BB Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by rgw View Post
    This is the kinda stuff that radicalizes me hah. These people got caught because they're dumb new money and don't understand how the game is played.
    No kidding. For that much money, you can buy your way in to just about any of those places, through the front door.

I'm reminded of a work colleague whose daughter was going through sorority rush at aTm several years ago. In some subtle ways, and other not-so-subtle ways, they let the girl and her dad know that a donation to the sorority would "help" her chances at a spot.

The going market rate for a guaranteed spot in a prestigious sorority? $50K. And that was a while back. I'm sure it's more now.

Don't know if that's common at UA or not. Given the palaces they have today, I could argue either way -- either they need headcount to pay for them, so the large pledge classes cut down on the competition. Or they can't realistically pay for those Taj Mahals through headcount alone, and need another source of cash, and if the sorority is prestigious enough, they can get away with it, class size notwithstanding.

I do know of a single instance in the early '70s. A not-so-attractive or bright or popular girl had a really wealthy father. He offered money to one of the most sought-after sororities, and they took a girl they never would have otherwise considered. But that was at the parent's instigation, not the sorority's, and highly unusual at the time.
    You can't reason a man out of a position he didn't reason himself into.

BamaNation Hall of Fame

This isnít the least bit surprising to me - wealthy have been doing things like this for as long as I can remember (using their money underhandedly to get what they want but donít deserve).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The supreme quality for leadership is unquestionably integrity. Without it, no real success is possible, no matter whether it is on a section gang, a football field, in an army, or in an office. Dwight D. Eisenhower