At Least 47 Indicted in Nationwide College Admissions Cheating and Recruiting Scheme - Page 5
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame

Re: At Least 47 Indicted in Nationwide College Admissions Cheating and Recruiting Sch

I take a lot of solace in the fact that the capital-based aristocracy will fail the same way as the divine-right-based aristocracy. Their idiot failsons and faildaughters can't hold up to the prior generation's standard and it all begins to fall apart like when the conquering kings were replaced by several generations of their fancy lad inbred sons and grandsons.
    Last edited by rgw; March 13th, 2019 at 07:23 PM.
    I owe it to the people to have a signature...so here goes nothing!

BamaNation Hall of Fame Bodhisattva's Avatar

Re: At Least 47 Indicted in Nationwide College Admissions Cheating and Recruiting Sch

USC = University of Spoiled Children
    Bodhi

Lily (age 6): Daddy, I know what I want to be when I grow up: an artist.
    Bodhi (internally groaning): Yeah? What kind of artist?
    Lily: A balloon animal artist!
    Bodhi (face palm)

https://sports.yahoo.com/a-whole-new...011841886.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post
    That guy is all about Doin Crimes.

Quote Originally Posted by rgw View Post
    That guy is all about Doin Crimes.
    Heís all about the dollar bills.

"I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post
    He’s all about the dollar bills.

Sometimes all the same

BamaNation Hall of Fame

The other part of this story was students paid to take classes for some of these dumb ones.
    (This was even going on in the late 60s and early 70s.)

I knew a smart guy (I called him CC) who attended classes for kids for $$$.
    He was much in demand by some of the Frat boys.
    Honor Code was long since out the window...
    I think 'CC' thought if he didn't take their money, somebody else would...

BamaNation Hall of Fame seebell's Avatar

Boston investigators had different case, then college scheme came up

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/20...nes:newsletter

It started, improbably, with a securities fraud investigation out of Boston, a so-called pump-and-dump stock scam that extended overseas.
    FBI agents and federal prosecutors quickly homed in on a financial executive, according to several people familiar with the case, who said he was willing to cooperate with authorities. He also offered investigators a tantalizing tip, one entirely unrelated to stock prices — a Yale University women’s soccer coach had asked him for a bribe to help get his daughter admitted into the elite school.
    By April 2018, the executive was wearing a recording device for the FBI when he met with coach Rudolph “Rudy” Meredith in a hotel room in Boston. For a payment of $450,000, Meredith said, he would be willing to designate the executive’s daughter as a recruit for the team, all but guaranteeing her acceptance.

BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar

Sorry, but this is silly. Putting people in jail for paying extra for college. None of these parents is a criminal. The guy running it is the criminal. The rest is just people paying for access. Even poor people do this, but in different aspects of their lives.

BamaNation First Team

Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    Sorry, but this is silly. Putting people in jail for paying extra for college. None of these parents is a criminal. The guy running it is the criminal. The rest is just people paying for access. Even poor people do this, but in different aspects of their lives.
    They are knowingly committing fraud though. I have no problem with them buying their way into college acceptance..i have a problem with the deceptiveness that went into they way it was done.

BamaNation Third Team

Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    My main problem with this matter is the cost to the taxpayers in this country. If these wealthy families were able to conduct this scam through charitable donations, then they avoided taxes of some $7M-$10M. The less one pays, the more another one pays or the more debt we add to the nation.

Quote Originally Posted by ProudTider View Post
    My main problem with this matter is the cost to the taxpayers in this country. If these wealthy families were able to conduct this scam through charitable donations, then they avoided taxes of some $7M-$10M. The less one pays, the more another one pays or the more debt we add to the nation.
    They didn't do it through charitable donations (which is the way many accept this happens). They did it under the table, so they committed wire fraud and tax evasion.
    -- Coach Bryant

Quote Originally Posted by CoachJeff View Post
    I can't get too fired up about this. I think it's a waste of time for the feds to investigate this.
    well, it appears that all of the bribery was being done through a scam charity organization with the parents "donating" money (which i assume was tax deductible) and then that money being "donated" to the university(s). that definitely falls under the purview of the feds.
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

- George Orwell

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they donít have to worry about the answers.

ó Thomas Pynchon