At Least 47 Indicted in Nationwide College Admissions Cheating and Recruiting Scheme - Page 7
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame

At Least 47 Indicted in Nationwide College Admissions Cheating and Recruiting Scheme

Just heard today Loughlin’s daughter was on a yacht with. chairman of the BOD at USC when mom was flying home to turn herself in.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by twofbyc; March 14th, 2019 at 04:08 PM.
    The supreme quality for leadership is unquestionably integrity. Without it, no real success is possible, no matter whether it is on a section gang, a football field, in an army, or in an office. Dwight D. Eisenhower

BamaNation Hall of Fame MattinBama's Avatar

Re: At Least 47 Indicted in Nationwide College Admissions Cheating and Recruiting Sch

Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    This is all politics and has nothing to do with football.
    None of the discussion is about college football players getting past the NCAA because of this. The discussion is about rich people buying access.
    This is because we created an artificial demand for college education in America. The schools are in it for the money, and they are cashing in. Some schools can turn down anyone because they have lists tens of thousands deep that they are turning away every year. It has watered down the product and weakened our country.
    I think the mods will probably put it where they want it. It looks like most people have been pretty good about not making things too political in here. In the meantime you could just enjoy some of the humor in the thread or don't click on it?

BamaNation Hall of Fame cuda.1973's Avatar

Re: At Least 47 Indicted in Nationwide College Admissions Cheating and Recruiting Sch

This is all politics and has nothing to do with football.
    Seems you spoke too soon.....................

https://www.recode.net/2019/3/12/182...nford-usc-yale

McGlashan also allegedly made a $250,000 donation to USC in order for his son to enter through the school’s “side door,” according to the charges, by creating the impression that he was a potential recruited kicker or punter for the school’s football team — all thanks to Photoshop. This was all accomplished through mail fraud, prosecutors say.

“I’m gonna make him a kicker/punter and they’re gonna walk him through with football, and I’ll get a picture and figure out how to Photoshop,” William Rick Singer, the college prep adviser at the heart of the scandal, allegedly told McGlashan in August 2018.

“He does have really strong legs,” McGlashan told Singer. “Maybe he’ll become a kicker. You never know.”

“Pretty funny,” McGlashan would later add. “The way the world works these days is unbelievable.”
    McGlashan is a Silicon Valley investor, who is a leading proponent of "ethical investing". He is now on “indefinite administrative leave effective immediately”.

Yes, unbelievable how the world really works. </sarcasm>
    "I hate morning people.
    And mornings.

And people!"

LoL

Not even remotely surprised that Frank Gallagher is tied in with this thing.

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by cuda.1973 View Post
    Seems you spoke too soon.....................

https://www.recode.net/2019/3/12/182...nford-usc-yale

McGlashan is a Silicon Valley investor, who is a leading proponent of "ethical investing". He is now on “indefinite administrative leave effective immediately”.

Yes, unbelievable how the world really works. </sarcasm>

When I think of Silicon Valley venture capital, I think of ethical investing.
    I owe it to the people to have a signature...so here goes nothing!

BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar

I'll just offer my perspective, as you guys have. The mindless masses on social media are upset about this. JMO, but any time that you find yourself in agreement with the masses, it is time to stop and reconsider your position.

Why is this such a HUGE story? A few dozen people got into college because they got caught rigging the system. Actually, the guy who scammed them got caught and he used their celebrity against them by helping the Feds set them up in some sort of plea agreement. Now - a huge investigation that will likely cost more than all of the money involved in the scheme. Add the court costs and this is clearly upside down from the outset. So why pursue it? Because it is about catching celebrities and headlines, not about catching criminals.

I understand that people are upset, but this is bread and circuses.

I'll just offer my perspective, as you guys have. The mindless masses on social media are upset about this. JMO, but any time that you find yourself in agreement with the masses, it is time to stop and reconsider your position.

Why is this such a HUGE story? A few dozen people got into college because they got caught rigging the system. Actually, the guy who scammed them got caught and he used their celebrity against them by helping the Feds set them up in some sort of plea agreement. Now - a huge investigation that will likely cost more than all of the money involved in the scheme. Add the court costs and this is clearly upside down from the outset. So why pursue it? Because it is about catching celebrities and headlines, not about catching criminals.

I understand that people are upset, but this is bread and circuses.
    Tax evasion. Wire fraud. Bribery. Academic fraud.

Yep... No reason to spend the money for an investigation on that.

Come on, B1G. That's beyond silly. And this is more than just the "masses" being upset on social media. Posting that comment on a message board is more than ironic, too.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson

Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post
    Tax evasion. Wire fraud. Bribery. Academic fraud.
    Sorry, let's talk about this because it is silly. These folks did not set out to do any of these things (other than academic fraud) and you know it. Think about it. Let's talk about each, one at a time:

* Tax evasion - do you really think that they went into this to avoid paying taxes? This is only a charge because the guy running the scam only allowed them to pay him this way.
    * Wire fraud - they have no idea what wire fraud is. Most people talking about this have no idea what wire fraud is. They certainly were not trying to break this law.
    * Bribery - of who? This is not some government agency being bribed for business - this is someone at a college being bribed to help a kid get into the school. Are you seriously going to tell me that you are worried about the fact that someone got paid here? We are college football fans, right? Pot meet kettle
    * Academic fraud - This is the only legitimate charge. But I don't know of anyone who has gone to jail for this - ever. Look at what was happening at UNC. Did anyone go to jail there? The level of fraud committed at UNC makes this look like some 1st grader copying the art work of his neighbor.

Sorry, let's talk about this because it is silly. These folks did not set out to do any of these things (other than academic fraud) and you know it. Think about it. Let's talk about each, one at a time:

* Tax evasion - do you really think that they went into this to avoid paying taxes? This is only a charge because the guy running the scam only allowed them to pay him this way.
    * Wire fraud - they have no idea what wire fraud is. Most people talking about this have no idea what wire fraud is. They certainly were not trying to break this law.
    * Bribery - of who? This is not some government agency being bribed for business - this is someone at a college being bribed to help a kid get into the school. Are you seriously going to tell me that you are worried about the fact that someone got paid here? We are college football fans, right? Pot meet kettle
    * Academic fraud - This is the only legitimate charge. But I don't know of anyone who has gone to jail for this - ever. Look at what was happening at UNC. Did anyone go to jail there? The level of fraud committed at UNC makes this look like some 1st grader copying the art work of his neighbor.
    Ignorance of a law does not make you innocent of breaking that law.

Quote Originally Posted by MattinBama View Post
    Ignorance of a law does not make you innocent of breaking that law.
    Yeah, go with that. Because intent doesn't matter at all.

Yeah, go with that. Because intent doesn't matter at all.
    Well, it really doesn't wrt to the law.

Then again, I don't see any of these 'crimes' affecting anyone else, unless some students weren't allowed to attend the school that would have otherwise due to these students being there.

Seems like much ado about nothing to me. I'm more surprised that people seems surprised by all this.
    Oderint dum metuant - Lucius Accius

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonaudio View Post
    Well, it really doesn't wrt to the law.
    Absolutely true, but the world that we walk through is not as black and white.

BamaNation Third Team

People have to cheat to get into U$C?