At Least 47 Indicted in Nationwide College Admissions Cheating and Recruiting Scheme - Page 8
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    Where ever there's BBQ, Crawfish & Football

Re: At Least 47 Indicted in Nationwide College Admissions Cheating and Recruiting Sch

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonaudio View Post
    Well, it really doesn't wrt to the law.

Then again, I don't see any of these 'crimes' affecting anyone else, unless some students weren't allowed to attend the school that would have otherwise due to these students being there.

Seems like much ado about nothing to me. I'm more surprised that people seems surprised by all this.
    Yeah, same here. I just assumed the majority of society figured this has always been going on.
    The existence of God isn't determined in the thoughts of man. God exists, no matter what man thinks.

"It cost a lot of money to look this cheap."-Dolly Parton.

"If you ever want to know how good your barbecue is start charging for it"-Myron Mixon

BamaNation All-American Padreruf's Avatar

Re: At Least 47 Indicted in Nationwide College Admissions Cheating and Recruiting Sch

It is a big deal because there was some worthy student who did not get a place due to that place being sold...I know students who bust their butts to make the grades and scores to get admitted and just miss out. And these get a pass because their parents are wealthy???

The Wall Street Journal has had a story every day since this broke -- as well as an editorial -- and they are excoriating those involved. Given their political leanings I would not have supposed that at all....
    "The greatest evil in the world is not 'not knowing;' it is not knowing that you do not know." Alfred North Whitehead

BamaNation Hall of Fame MattinBama's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    Yeah, go with that. Because intent doesn't matter at all.
    The amount of leniency granted because of intent would be handled by prosecutors, juries, and judges. It still does not make them innocent because they didn't know about it. People are jailed every single day for breaking laws they didn't know they were breaking.

Some of the articles mentioned that William H Macy & his wife had a meeting to go over how the scam works so it sounds like the guy was pretty up front with these people about just how they would be gaming the system. And even if he told them "oh yeah this is all above board" they still should be checking with their own lawyers and doing their own due diligence if something sounded too good to be true.

What's weird to me is how up in arms you seem to be about people being arrested for breaking the law. Is it the biggest crime scandal in history? Of course not but these people shouldn't be above the law anymore than someone else.

BamaNation All-American

I don't think that many people are really surprised by this.

I just think people are newly awakened to the idea that this kind of stuff has to end if we want more equality.

Quote Originally Posted by Padreruf View Post
    It is a big deal because there was some worthy student who did not get a place due to that place being sold..
    If that happened, they yes, I agree. But most schools don't have hard limits on the numbers of students they admit - generally speaking if you qualify, you're admitted.
    Oderint dum metuant - Lucius Accius

BamaNation Hall of Fame TideEngineer08's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ND1976 View Post
    People have to cheat to get into U$C?
    I thought that was the only way...

BamaNation Hall of Fame TideEngineer08's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RollTide_HTTR View Post
    I don't think that many people are really surprised by this.

I just think people are newly awakened to the idea that this kind of stuff has to end if we want more equality.
    I don't want equality, but I do want fairness. And nothing about this was fair. Yes, some worthy students who did things the right way and who were likely brilliant, were not afforded the opportunity because of these cheaters. I'm not sure what punishment fits these crimes, but they were crimes.

BamaNation All-American

Quote Originally Posted by TideEngineer08 View Post
    I don't want equality, but I do want fairness. And nothing about this was fair. Yes, some worthy students who did things the right way and who were likely brilliant, were not afforded the opportunity because of these cheaters. I'm not sure what punishment fits these crimes, but they were crimes.
    Not to make this political but most people (or at least me in this context) mean "equal opportunity" or fairness when they refer to equality.

BamaNation All-American ALA2262's Avatar

Brings to mind when my daughter was applying for admission to college. Because of a favorite aunt who was head of nursing at a B'ham hospital, nursing was her chosen field. She experienced the extreme from both ends. She was turned down by UGA on one end and on the other end Ole Miss wanted her so badly, I thought they were going to come to Georgia and just take her away. She received her BSN from the University of Alabama.

To this day I have never understood the UGA thingy, but perhaps someone bought her spot. But all's well that ends well. Because of it she hates UGA with a passion, and has done extremely well in the thirty years she has been in that profession. She has RN, BSN, and MSN after her name on her business card. She has just accepted a new position at a 75% increase in pay which was already at six figures.
    Last edited by ALA2262; March 15th, 2019 at 11:09 AM.

BamaNation Hall of Fame cuda.1973's Avatar

If that happened, they yes, I agree. But most schools don't have hard limits on the numbers of students they admit - generally speaking if you qualify, you're admitted.
    In general, no. For some studies, there are hard limits.

Of course, none of these snowflakes were trying to study something where you actually had to do any work.
    "I hate morning people.
    And mornings.

And people!"

BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MattinBama View Post
    What's weird to me is how up in arms you seem to be about people being arrested for breaking the law.
    I don't care a whit about them. It is the masses who have disappointed me here. Now, that is kinda funny.

BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar

To add, there are 33 of these kids admitted through this scam. 33. During the same period there were almost certainly many multiples of this whose parents bought them access to these same schools in other ways. I seriously doubt that a single qualified kid failed to get into these schools because of this nonsense.

BamaNation Hall of Fame selmaborntidefan's Avatar

I've had fun with this but mostly just over the sheer stupidity of some rich folks.

Lori Loughlin calls up her attorney, Leopold Feckner (some of you will get this), and says:

"My daughter doesn't qualify for USC, but I have this guy who is going to ensure her SAT is high enough that she will get in with a scholarship. He's only charging me $500,000."

Leopold: "Lori, that's illegal. Just make a $200,000 donation to (name of something important), and the right people will make sure she gets into school. And remember to send me $1600 for the advice I just gave you."

A co-worker of mine about to retire just chuckles about this. He was once at the University of Houston and involved in scams with the football team to keep the players eligible. Cash payments for doing athlete work to keep them eligible and making sure to do it so the guy got a C and didn't arouse suspicion. He was even asked to take their exams for them, but he refused at that point. He said when he left college he took a pay cut - and he wasn't the only one.

The reality is that if your parents are "somebody" then places will make exceptions - without this.

This is in every realm of life folks. It always has been and always will be.

Every motel in Dallas can say that they don't have a room. But if the President of the USA shows up? They've got one.
    My New Year's resolution for 2019 is this year I'm not going to drink anymore. I'm not going to drink any less, either.

I was married for 25 years, but if I'd killed her on the honeymoon, I'd have been out in less than 20.

Butch Jones has richly earned his title, The Archbishop of Talentbury

After reading all the horrible things drinking will do to you....I gave up reading.