At Least 47 Indicted in Nationwide College Admissions Cheating and Recruiting Scheme

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2...7674711&s_campaign=todaysheadlines:newsletter

He bought the fencing coach’s house. Then his son got into Harvard

By Joshua Miller GLOBE STAFF APRIL 04, 2019
NEEDHAM — It was a modest house by this town’s standards, a center-entrance colonial, three bedrooms and a two-car garage on a quarter-acre lot. The inside hadn’t welcomed a renovator in many, many years, and the outside didn’t wear its age particularly well.
Its owner: Peter Brand, Harvard University’s legendary fencing coach. Its assessed value: $549,300.
So when the house sold to a wealthy Maryland businessman for close to a million dollars in May 2016, the town’s top assessor was so dumbfounded that he wrote the following in his notes: “Makes no sense.”
The buyer, it turns out, was the father of a high school junior who was actively looking at applying to Harvard with an eye toward being on the fencing team.

Darn, this crap is everywhere!

IndyBison

1st Team
Dec 22, 2013
My son is high achieving (4.2 GPA 1400 SAT 33 ACT. 2 year letter winner and academic all state, several activities) and he was rejected at 4 of the 5 schools he applied to (Purdue, American, Tulane, WashU). Not the elite schools implicated here but definitely good schools. The students involved could all be very good students but mom and dad just wanted to make sure they didn't fall through the cracks. Admission at these schools even with amazing students is a game.

The other thing I'll add is athletics is a different conduit into schools at any level. By being recruited as an athlete you have an influential advocate inside the university who can carry a lot of weight with admissions decisions. There likely aren't many situations where students well below the academic standards for the school are getting in, but those in the bubble or just below get pushed to the top if they are being recruited as an athlete. That's why many of those charged went that route.

That doesn't justify anything these families did but to imply the students weren't worthy isn't necessarily true.

We did encourage our son to apply to Alabama because he had a good chance at a near full tuition scholarship but he wasn't interested. :(

Last edited:

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Maybe I'm just becoming too old of a geezer to expend a lot of energy getting outraged by this.......but maybe it's because if you live long enough (and many of you have me beat in that category by a few miles)......you're just not really surprised. And while I don't want to necessarily minimize it, it's not the Penn State shower or high treason or murder or other more egregious things that shock us.

And while in no way am I saying, "Oh it's okay," I think if we're honest with ourselves then the reality is that MOST people who COULD influence outcomes because of their wealth.........do. Most of us have a line we won't cross, but there are many most of us will if given the right circumstance. We'll go "this far" but not "that far" and sometimes the difference is only in degree. I mean, I like to think the best of myself as most of us do......I like to think there are things I wouldn't do if circumstance allowed me to (and not just out of fear of going to jail), but I'm no better than anyone else. (I've learned my ex, who appeared to be of great character when we were dating either lost it somewhere or put on an acting job worthy of an Oscar).

The reality is that these folks PROBABLY are NOT going to jail. Maybe they should, but I doubt they will.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
Maybe I'm just becoming too old of a geezer to expend a lot of energy getting outraged by this.......but maybe it's because if you live long enough (and many of you have me beat in that category by a few miles)......you're just not really surprised. And while I don't want to necessarily minimize it, it's not the Penn State shower or high treason or murder or other more egregious things that shock us.

And while in no way am I saying, "Oh it's okay," I think if we're honest with ourselves then the reality is that MOST people who COULD influence outcomes because of their wealth.........do. Most of us have a line we won't cross, but there are many most of us will if given the right circumstance. We'll go "this far" but not "that far" and sometimes the difference is only in degree. I mean, I like to think the best of myself as most of us do......I like to think there are things I wouldn't do if circumstance allowed me to (and not just out of fear of going to jail), but I'm no better than anyone else. (I've learned my ex, who appeared to be of great character when we were dating either lost it somewhere or put on an acting job worthy of an Oscar).

The reality is that these folks PROBABLY are NOT going to jail. Maybe they should, but I doubt they will.
Arab proverb: "The dogs bark but the caravan moves on..." The money train known as NCAA basketball and football will never be derailed by ethics...see the UNC case and now this. Time to move on to other issues...or go play golf which I intend to do.

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
Arab proverb: "The dogs bark but the caravan moves on..." The money train known as NCAA basketball and football will never be derailed by ethics...see the UNC case and now this. Time to move on to other issues...or go play golf which I intend to do.
Y'all go on with the caravan. I'm going to stay here at the Oasis and follow and enjoy the foibles of the rich and famous on my laptop. Sure hope there's free wi-fi way out here!:wink:

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
BOSTON — Actress Lori Loughlin and her fashion designer husband, Mossimo Giannulli, are pleading not guilty to charges they took part in the sweeping college admissions bribery scam, according to court documents filed Monday.
The couple is accused of paying $500,000 in bribes to get their daughters admitted to the University of Southern California as crew recruits, even though neither is a rower.
Loughlin and Giannulli waived their right to appear for their arraignment in Boston federal court and plead not guilty to the two charges against them, their lawyers said in court documents. The judge granted their requests not to appear.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/celebr...ty-in-college-scam/ar-BBVXtiT?ocid=spartanntp

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Very misleading article. They are pleading not guilty because the state has piled on charges that they are not going to be able to prove (in their opinion). They were forced to fight this in court when the state decided to bully them. The state did that to get them to plea this out and it has pushed them further away. Our legal system is a mess in which most cases never even make it to court, and DAs have no idea what to do when they face competent legal counsel.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Very misleading article. They are pleading not guilty because the state has piled on charges that they are not going to be able to prove (in their opinion). They were forced to fight this in court when the state decided to bully them. The state did that to get them to plea this out and it has pushed them further away. Our legal system is a mess in which most cases never even make it to court, and DAs have no idea what to do when they face competent legal counsel.
Actually, they rejected a plea deal, which led to the new charges.

https://www.aol.com/article/enterta...ghlin-rejects-plea-deal-prison-time/23709408/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Actually, they rejected a plea deal, which led to the new charges.

https://www.aol.com/article/enterta...ghlin-rejects-plea-deal-prison-time/23709408/

That is my point. The DA had no idea how to react to their legal counsel so he has over-played his hand to try and get them to plea after the initial refusal. He thinks that he can bully them into a plea. He might be right, but not unless he can really prove those other charges in court.

This is all political grandstanding. We have felons who have committed violent crimes being released from prison because they are too full but the DA wants this conviction on the front page because it resonates with the masses. It is all about votes.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
That is my point. The DA had no idea how to react to their legal counsel so he has over-played his hand to try and get them to plea after the initial refusal. He thinks that he can bully them into a plea. He might be right, but not unless he can really prove those other charges in court.

This is all political grandstanding. We have felons who have committed violent crimes being released from prison because they are too full but the DA wants this conviction on the front page because it resonates with the masses. It is all about votes.
Did you read the quotes? They were offered a plea deal or more charges. The US attorneys office isn’t going to just give out charges for the heck of it.

The charges were there before they rejected the offer, but the USAO was trying to let them off.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Did you read the quotes? They were offered a plea deal or more charges. The US attorneys office isn’t going to just give out charges for the heck of it.

The charges were there before they rejected the offer, but the USAO was trying to let them off.

Do you really believe that?

Sorry. We are too far apart and this has nothing to do with sports. I will bow out.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.