At Least 47 Indicted in Nationwide College Admissions Cheating and Recruiting Scheme

DrollTide

All-SEC
Oct 18, 2008
Hunts Patch
No wonder they call us fly-over country. They live different lives.

In our world, I'm hoping that my daughter puts in the hours to get a full ride with a high-enough GPA, and makes up other expenses with a part time job.

In their world, tuition and living is irrelevant, all they need is a $mill to bribe the right people into letting their lower-quartile daughter in.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

In our world, I'm hoping that my daughter puts in the hours to get a full ride with a high-enough GPA, and makes up other expenses with a part time job.

In their world, tuition and living is irrelevant, all they need is a $mill to bribe the right people into letting their lower-quartile daughter in.
Most folks not in the "flyover country" are dealing with the same things. It is really just a very small subset of these populations that think they - and perhaps do - play by a different set of rules. Even here in Alabama, firmly ensconced in the flyover, there are a group of people who have wealth, play by different rules, and control our policy direction in ways that further enrich themselves and their families over the whole of the state.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa

Hahaha, exactly! My wife and I are still saving for our daughter to attend university, but I have told my daughter that we will take a very nice month of travel if she earns a scholarship. We still value education in our house and know that you only get out of it what you put in.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Ok - I'm gonna show how absolutely dumb I am (yet again).

On April 11, 1987 (don't ask), I took my ACT for the third time. I'd done well on the first two (top 9%), but I needed one more point for a possible full ride to UA. I didn't have a driver's license at the time, and Mom had an appointment so she dropped me off at the university (MUW) to take my exam. She left, I realized I didn't have any ID and since I'd left my Iphone at home I had a real dilemma. Everyone coming in recognized me, knew me by name, called me by name. But since none of these were the test proctor/administrator, I was stuck. I got on the phone and got Dad at home and - if you can believe this - he hauled down a couple of high school yearbooks with my name by my picture. I took my seat just as they were about to start the timer for the first portion of the exam, English, which is a second language to us rednecks.

Anyway.....every time I hear a story about how an athlete (David Palmer was accused of this) had someone else take his ACT/SAT, I sit there wondering how that's even possible without MULTIPLE assistants looking the other way. Two years ago (4/22/17 to be precise), I took an ASCP exam, and they're so fancy now, they have you check in with your thumbprint almost like Wesley Snipes used the dude's eye in "Demolition Man."

So......how does this happen?

I mean, even if you get a guy who is going to do this, you HAVE to have some assistance from the "right people" on the inside, or it won't work. You require someone to at least pretend that you are David Palmer, a short, black athlete well-known as the state's Mr Football...while being a tall, white dude who is athletically challenged. You have the same basic thing here.

It seems to me it would require help.

(Note: a friend of mine went to prison in the infamous Louisville VA scandal of 2008, which I'll explain if anyone has insomnia. That required TWO persons on the inside and on the take - and even then it got exposed about 4 years into the soup. They defrauded the VA over $2 million with 14 phony disability claims).
Looks like the main guy behind it all William Rick Singer used the administrator of the exams to be able to make the changes.

Link

[FONT=&quot]In July 2018, college admissions con artist William Rick Singer allegedly reached out to Mark Riddell with a problem.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
Their scheme to help the son of one of Singer’s clients ace his ACT exam was in jeopardy of falling through.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
According to a federal indictment released Tuesday, Singer had arranged a few weeks earlier for the student to take the ACT at a Houston public high school, where the exam would be proctored by an administrator he knew. Singer would then pay Riddell to secretly correct the student’s answers on the completed test and pay the administrator to allow him to do so.[/FONT]

OBMS

1st Team
Jan 9, 2011
This is nothing more than the Wayne County High School Mississippi ACT scam that has been alive for almost 40 years-------------

Bubbaloo

1st Team
Dec 8, 2015
Bottom line: People (mankind) regardless of race, sex, religion, income/wealth, political or sexual orientation will find a way to game any system to advance their favored causes. It is the nature of humans. The ones that do not follow this pattern is in such a minority that finding a leprechaun is more sure.

We punish those that are caught gaming the populace in order to maintain some semblance of order, fairness or civility.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I take a lot of solace in the fact that the capital-based aristocracy will fail the same way as the divine-right-based aristocracy. Their idiot failsons and faildaughters can't hold up to the prior generation's standard and it all begins to fall apart like when the conquering kings were replaced by several generations of their fancy lad inbred sons and grandsons.

Last edited:

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
The other part of this story was students paid to take classes for some of these dumb ones.
(This was even going on in the late 60s and early 70s.)

I knew a smart guy (I called him CC) who attended classes for kids for $$$.
He was much in demand by some of the Frat boys.
Honor Code was long since out the window...
I think 'CC' thought if he didn't take their money, somebody else would...

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al

Boston investigators had different case, then college scheme came up

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2...7674711&s_campaign=todaysheadlines:newsletter

It started, improbably, with a securities fraud investigation out of Boston, a so-called pump-and-dump stock scam that extended overseas.
FBI agents and federal prosecutors quickly homed in on a financial executive, according to several people familiar with the case, who said he was willing to cooperate with authorities. He also offered investigators a tantalizing tip, one entirely unrelated to stock prices — a Yale University women’s soccer coach had asked him for a bribe to help get his daughter admitted into the elite school.
By April 2018, the executive was wearing a recording device for the FBI when he met with coach Rudolph “Rudy” Meredith in a hotel room in Boston. For a payment of $450,000, Meredith said, he would be willing to designate the executive’s daughter as a recruit for the team, all but guaranteeing her acceptance.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.