At Least 47 Indicted in Nationwide College Admissions Cheating and Recruiting Scheme

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Sorry, but this is silly. Putting people in jail for paying extra for college. None of these parents is a criminal. The guy running it is the criminal. The rest is just people paying for access. Even poor people do this, but in different aspects of their lives.

irNate

1st Team
Nov 19, 2010
Snellville, GA
Sorry, but this is silly. Putting people in jail for paying extra for college. None of these parents is a criminal. The guy running it is the criminal. The rest is just people paying for access. Even poor people do this, but in different aspects of their lives.
They are knowingly committing fraud though. I have no problem with them buying their way into college acceptance..i have a problem with the deceptiveness that went into they way it was done.

ProudTider

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 2, 2015
My main problem with this matter is the cost to the taxpayers in this country. If these wealthy families were able to conduct this scam through charitable donations, then they avoided taxes of some $7M-$10M. The less one pays, the more another one pays or the more debt we add to the nation.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
My main problem with this matter is the cost to the taxpayers in this country. If these wealthy families were able to conduct this scam through charitable donations, then they avoided taxes of some $7M-$10M. The less one pays, the more another one pays or the more debt we add to the nation.
They didn't do it through charitable donations (which is the way many accept this happens). They did it under the table, so they committed wire fraud and tax evasion.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I can't get too fired up about this. I think it's a waste of time for the feds to investigate this.
well, it appears that all of the bribery was being done through a scam charity organization with the parents "donating" money (which i assume was tax deductible) and then that money being "donated" to the university(s). that definitely falls under the purview of the feds.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
They didn't do it through charitable donations (which is the way many accept this happens). They did it under the table, so they committed wire fraud and tax evasion.
from an associate press article this morning

The mastermind of a wide-ranging college admissions scandal set up a charity that wove a deep web of deception and fraud to mask bribes and payoffs, funneling millions of dollars through the tax-exempt organization under the nose of U.S. officials, according to prosecutors and tax documents reviewed by The Associated Press.

William “Rick” Singer registered Key Worldwide Foundation as a charity in 2013, gaining accredited 501(c)3 status with the federal government. Its tax filings reported revenue that doubled each year, from $451,600 in its first year to $3.7 million in 2016.

Singer, painted by prosecutors as the ringleader of the biggest school admissions scandal ever prosecuted by federal authorities, is accused of funneling money from wealthy parents through his foundation, then using it to bribe coaches and others to get their children into elite universities.

Prosecutors said he also accepted so-called donations from clients to help their kids get a coveted enrollment spot through cheating. The scheme allowed the parents to claim tax deductions for themselves.

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
Just like when you pay a hitman to take someone out, right. Just paying for access, the dude pulling the trigger is the only one committing a crime. /bluefont

They deserve every bit of jail time they get. The rich elites are destroying this country so, I love it when there world comes crashing down. Punish the kids too, I don’t believe they didn’t know. You know if you didn’t take the ACT, you know if you are not an athlete but are on an athletic scholarship.

ProudTider

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 2, 2015
well, it appears that all of the bribery was being done through a scam charity organization with the parents "donating" money (which i assume was tax deductible) and then that money being "donated" to the university(s). that definitely falls under the purview of the feds.
You're exactly right. One example, Gordan Caplan, a defendant, paid $75K to a sham charity set up by Rick Singer to get his kid in Yale, I believe.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
why can't they just pay for a building or make a donation to the endowment fund like all of the other rich folks?
Well, according to some sleazy media company, the head scumbag tried to pitch a reality show, based on all of this. (No, it didn't go into details, and I am not going to give them any click bait.)

Anyway................as to your point as to why they don't make a big donation: supposedly that doesn't work these days.

Supposedly:

In an unsettling portion of the demo tape, Singer says that parents can no longer pay to have their children admitted to universities. “At some schools, giving $10 million isn’t enough…they want $30, $40, $50 million,” Singer says.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
You can say that now, but.................

You might have missed the part about some guy down at IMG is in the middle of this. Especially the part about taking SAT/ACT entrance exams.
None of the discussion is about college football players getting past the NCAA because of this. The discussion is about rich people buying access.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Supposedly:
In an unsettling portion of the demo tape, Singer says that parents can no longer pay to have their children admitted to universities. “At some schools, giving $10 million isn’t enough…they want $30, $40, $50 million,” Singer says.
This is because we created an artificial demand for college education in America. The schools are in it for the money, and they are cashing in. Some schools can turn down anyone because they have lists tens of thousands deep that they are turning away every year. It has watered down the product and weakened our country.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
Just heard today Loughlin’s daughter was on a yacht with. chairman of the BOD at USC when mom was flying home to turn herself in.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
This is all politics and has nothing to do with football.
None of the discussion is about college football players getting past the NCAA because of this. The discussion is about rich people buying access.
This is because we created an artificial demand for college education in America. The schools are in it for the money, and they are cashing in. Some schools can turn down anyone because they have lists tens of thousands deep that they are turning away every year. It has watered down the product and weakened our country.
I think the mods will probably put it where they want it. It looks like most people have been pretty good about not making things too political in here. In the meantime you could just enjoy some of the humor in the thread or don't click on it?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.