Looking to get a new car - any recommendations

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Well the mechanic that has my old car has finally texted me and found what was wrong with the car. It was the underhood fuse box. The whole thing had to be replaced as it had shorted out. I am still done with the car and plan on car shopping for a few weeks.
Well, at least you're not doing it under pressure now. That's always better...

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
The AC is not blowing cold air now.
Obvious first step is to check the fuses, but if it was working when you took it in, they need to make it right. It could be that whatever took out the fusebox also got the compressor or the clutch, but it might be something simple they overlooked.

Could also just be a coincidence.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
The AC is not blowing cold air now.
Was in Charleston, SC in the late 70's on a steamy July afternoon when my A/C quit blowing cold air. I pulled into Bubba's auto repair shop. Had on a suit and long sleeve white shirt and tie and I was sweating profusely in the July heat. When the mechanic opened the hood of my car I knew I was in trouble when he said "what the hell kind of car is this?". I tried to tell him, but he just said I would need to take this to the dealer. So I backed out and pulled into a parking lot, by now I am drenched, got out the car and starting kicking the tires and cussing out loud to anyone who would listen. The entire time my wife is calmly sitting in the passenger seat with the window rolled down. She gets out walks around to the driver's side opens the door and reaches under the dashboard. She motions me to get in and low and behold the A/C is blowing freezing air, what the hell. While I was walking outside, sweating and cussing, she is reading the owner's manuel and under troubleshooting found that there was a fuse box and to try and put in a new fuse if the A/C quit blowing cold air. After cooling down we left, but she would not let me drive.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
I went outside Tuesday,having surgery Thursday , so I decided to take my BMW Z4 around the block since I will be unable to drive it for a few months . I put the retractable hard top down , opened it up a little and had some fun m then cruised back home as the sun was dipping and it was getting cold. Pulled in the drive , hit the button for the top and nothing, tried it again and nothing. Messed with it for 2 hours but no luck. Today, I made the 56 mile trek to Global BMW with the top and windows down , I had the seat and steering wheel heaters on, plus the heat, but I froze to death! Anyway, that was my bad luck car story for the week. Probably going to cost a couple thousand to fix as I think the pump went out. The car has 48, 782 miles on it. Third time it’s been in the shop. The other two were under warranty, this is on me. The guy at Global BMW doing a pre shop-intake inspection told me I needed 2 new tires and a front end alignment while it’s there, estimate $986. I told him I will get back to him! Gotta find out how much the top is going to cost me! I love my BMW. It’s a fun to drive car with good response and just enough luxury for a sports car. The dealership is really nice and they have a great personal touch, but if it stays this exepnsive to keep, I will look for something else! Zed4’s probably are not typical of the make. One of the few true roadsters still in production, and some downtime is to be expected with any sports car! my BMW story!

BMW called and left a message. On the Z4, the batteries, hydraulic pump , and top operating components are in a compartment under the trunk. Somewhere the car has a leak, and it has been collecting in the battery compartment to the point it was full, everything will have to be replaced. The estimate is north of $4k . Or, for $400 they will put the top up and leave it up.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Hell, you might want to check the trunk to see if that's where they put the beer cans and used condoms. LOL!
A client of mine was having her car worked on and was talking to the mechanic (most places won't let you do that any more), and noticed the trunk of the next car was full of empty whisky bottles. She commented to the mechanic that the owner would be in big trouble if he or she got stopped. The mechanic answered "No, not nothing gonna happen to her. She's a circuit judge"... ;)

Jessica4Bama

Hall of Fame
Nov 7, 2009
Alabama
I’ve been pretty happy with my Subaru Outback. I got the 3.6 back in 2016. One month after I got it, the steering column was recalled. They had to remove the entire column, but when they put everything back together they didn’t align the steering wheel straight. So I drove with a crooked steering wheel for around 6 months. Then went for the 6 month maintenance and told them. They did a front end alignment, but I noticed it still wasn’t straight. I drove again with it for 6 months because I didn’t have time to take it back over to get it fixed at the time and I thought I was being a little ocd about it. Finally, on the next 6 month maintence trip I told them about it again and they did another front end alignment. Why it wasn’t fixed when I told them the first time, I’m not sure. But it’s about as straight as it’s going to get I think. I still think it’s not exactly like it was from the factory, but it might be I just notice it since it was worked on.

I also had to go have my wiper blades and battery replaced under warranty. The cheap battery they put in there was leaking and I had to jump it off everytime I got in it to drive. Other than those things, I haven’t had significant issues. I’d probably buy another one, but I heard they’re doing away with the 3.6L engine, so if they do I might have to reconsider. Not a fan of the current 4 cylinders they use.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I’ve been pretty happy with my Subaru Outback. I got the 3.6 back in 2016. One month after I got it, the steering column was recalled. They had to remove the entire column, but when they put everything back together they didn’t align the steering wheel straight. So I drove with a crooked steering wheel for around 6 months. Then went for the 6 month maintenance and told them. They did a front end alignment, but I noticed it still wasn’t straight. I drove again with it for 6 months because I didn’t have time to take it back over to get it fixed at the time and I thought I was being a little ocd about it. Finally, on the next 6 month maintence trip I told them about it again and they did another front end alignment. Why it wasn’t fixed when I told them the first time, I’m not sure. But it’s about as straight as it’s going to get I think. I still think it’s not exactly like it was from the factory, but it might be I just notice it since it was worked on.

I also had to go have my wiper blades and battery replaced under warranty. The cheap battery they put in there was leaking and I had to jump it off everytime I got in it to drive. Other than those things, I haven’t had significant issues. I’d probably buy another one, but I heard they’re doing away with the 3.6L engine, so if they do I might have to reconsider. Not a fan of the current 4 cylinders they use.
the 2016 subaru 3.6 was our second choice when we got our most recent vehicle (mazda cx5 awd)

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Drove 4 cars today.
2015 BMW 328. very nice low mileage for the year.
2016 BMW 228. again low mileage, only one owner. It was a manual. I actually liked it the best.
2018 Subaru BRZ sporty nice and a 6 speed manual
2019 370Z coupe sporty and nice, fun to drive. was an automatic which I ask why? a sports car should never ever be an automatic

I plan on going back out next weekend.

Last edited:

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Drove 4 cars today.
2015 BMW 328. very nice low mileage for the year.
2016 BMW 228. again low mileage, only one owner. It was a manual. I actually liked it the best.
2018 Subaru BRZ sporty nice and a 6 speed manual
2019 370Z coupe sporty and nice, fun to drive. was an automatic which I ask why? a sports car should never ever be an automatic

I plan on going back out next weekend.
after some research I found out the Subaru BRZ is actually a Toyota.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.