Looking to get a new car - any recommendations

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
I have decided to pump the brakes on a new car. I am going to try and hold out for a few months. I am waiting until my second bonus check of the year so I can put more down and get something better. Should be around June/July.

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
My current one lasted almost 8 years. For some reason my mom wants my old car. Her friends have convinced her that I am just making up all the issues I am having and "I just want a new car". That could not be further from the truth. The car is a 2006 Honda Accord SE with 113K on it. I plan on driving my next car just as long, if not longer.

I will be looking at a Lexus Saturday, another Beamer that is similar to the one I just drove, and an Audi. I might go look at a Hyundai and because I have been talked into it a Honda (the sporty Si). A co-worker wants me to go look at a Volvo, but I might skip that one.
Do her friends understand that you're a grown man and don't need their or her permission to buy a vehicle?

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
What are the collective thoughts on the Nissan Maxima? I was behind one today and thought it looked pretty good for a sedan, all things considered. Looked like it had some kind of clear top.

Of course I also saw an Audi TT today I really liked. :p

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
What are the collective thoughts on the Nissan Maxima? I was behind one today and thought it looked pretty good for a sedan, all things considered. Looked like it had some kind of clear top.

The Audi TT is fun to drive.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Beautiful dzyn too! Something you'd expect to see a King drive.....:wink:

I like the older ones, like this 2000 model:

They are really great, but a ridiculous car for me to just drive just to work. I will most likely end up with a 3 series BMW like I always knew I would.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA

If it has their CVT, run!

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
If it has their CVT, run!
You know our Forester has one and I was prepared to hate it, but it's not been bad at all, except for my tendency, when I switch to it from the Taco, like I had to yesterday, to scratch off inadvertently. I was around and learning to drive when GM pioneered it. They had it only on some models. The early '50s Oldsmobiles, for example, had a standard auto transmission. OTOH, my BIL had a '51 Chevy with what they called "PowerGlide." We called it "PowerSlide." It was awful. It seemed like it had to rev to 2500 before the car moved. :D

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
You know our Forester has one and I was prepared to hate it, but it's not been bad at all, except for my tendency, when I switch to it from the Taco, like I had to yesterday, to scratch off inadvertently. I was around and learning to drive when GM pioneered it. They had it only on some models. The early '50s Oldsmobiles, for example, had a standard auto transmission. OTOH, my BIL had a '51 Chevy with what they called "PowerGlide." We called it "PowerSlide." It was awful. It seemed like it had to rev to 2500 before the car moved. :D
I have a cvt in my Toyota and like it ok. Nissan has had a load of problems with theirs. My daughter just a week ago had to have hers replaced in her 2015 Rogue, unfortunately out of warranty.

There must have been something wrong with your BIL's powerglide's torque converter. It was a tough tranny and is still used today in many dragsters. Its drawback wasn't slippage but that it only has only 2 speeds.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I have a cvt in my Toyota and like it ok. Nissan has had a load of problems with theirs. My daughter just a week ago had to have hers replaced in her 2015 Rogue, unfortunately out of warranty.

There must have been something wrong with your BIL's powerglide's torque converter. It was a tough tranny and is still used today in many dragsters. Its drawback wasn't slippage but that it only has only 2 speeds.
May be. That one was so bad we used to make jokes about it. I hardly notice the CVT in the Subaru...

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.