Looking to get a new car - any recommendations

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
after some research I found out the Subaru BRZ is actually a Toyota.
True, and it gets even more blurred. The new plant here will build both Toyotas and Mazdas. This week, the Toyota engine plant here announced a huge expansion with 450 more jobs. Where do you think those new engines in the Mazdas will come from? :D

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
The old Honda Passport was made by Isuzu. Although Honda required some upgrades in quality it still did not meet Honda standards.

The old GEO's had Toyota innards and lasted nearly forever, as you would expect. The quality on parts like the interior was typical GM.

IOW, it's wise to look at the details of who makes what and your tolerance for the issues that will inevitably show up over time.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
I think I am just going to go with my original plan and just get the beamer I always wanted. I am looking at the 2 series and the 3 series. I will be going on some test drives Monday night.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
The old Honda Passport was made by Isuzu. Although Honda required some upgrades in quality it still did not meet Honda standards.

The old GEO's had Toyota innards and lasted nearly forever, as you would expect. The quality on parts like the interior was typical GM.

IOW, it's wise to look at the details of who makes what and your tolerance for the issues that will inevitably show up over time.
Just saw that Honda has re-introduced the Passport, priced between the C-RV and Pilot.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
Talk about blurred lines between makes, the new 2020 Toyota Supra is actually a BMW Z4 . Don’t really know how that happened, but it did!

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
Drove 4 cars today.
2015 BMW 328. very nice low mileage for the year.
2016 BMW 228. again low mileage, only one owner. It was a manual. I actually liked it the best.
2018 Subaru BRZ sporty nice and a 6 speed manual
2019 370Z coupe sporty and nice, fun to drive. was an automatic which I ask why? a sports car should never ever be an automatic

I plan on going back out next weekend.
Every since Porsche introduced the Tiptronic transmission in the mid to late 90’s , most newer sports cars are offered and it is acceptable in automatic. The Jag Ftypes I’ve been looking at, and my Z4 is offered mostly in automatic , the BMW Z4 35IS only in double clutch automatic.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)

Geo Prizm was GM/Toyota. I think the Geo Tracker and Metro were GM/Suzuki. I remember a Metro that had a 3-cylinder engine.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
I think I am just going to go with my original plan and just get the beamer I always wanted. I am looking at the 2 series and the 3 series. I will be going on some test drives Monday night.
make sure you check the carfax close. Lots of used cars in Atlanta from places like Atlanta luxury Motors and Carvana buy cars at auction in the northeast and sell them at a premium down here.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
make sure you check the carfax close. Lots of used cars in Atlanta from places like Atlanta luxury Motors and Carvana buy cars at auction in the northeast and sell them at a premium down here.
I tend to be picky and always avoid the off the beaten path dealerships.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
I have a 2013 Ford Fusion, a 2016 F150 and a 2013 Dodge Avenger. The Dodge is a piece of Junk, I’ve had one problem with the fusion, a intake vacuum actuator, cost me $500, other than that the fusion, the f150 and the 2009 Ford Fusion I had before that have been great vehicles. There isn’t enough empty space on Tidefans servers to write all the problems with the Avenger. If you buy a domestic brand, I would say Ford is your best bet for longevity, at least my experience

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
I have a 2013 Ford Fusion, a 2016 F150 and a 2013 Dodge Avenger. The Dodge is a piece of Junk, I’ve had one problem with the fusion, a intake vacuum actuator, cost me $500, other than that the fusion, the f150 and the 2009 Ford Fusion I had before that have been great vehicles. There isn’t enough empty space on Tidefans servers to write all the problems with the Avenger. If you buy a domestic brand, I would say Ford is your best bet for longevity, at least my experience
I am just not a Ford Fusion kind of guy. Just not my taste. I absolutely despise owning a truck. People ask you for too many favors.

As a side note the Chevy commercials that now claim their new Chevy sedan is "just like a BMW" or "reminds them of Audi" well they are lying. Because it doesn't at all. I have now been in all 3. The Chevy is nothing like either of those cars, not even close. Anyone who actually says those words has never been in a BMW or Audi in their life.

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw
FIFY

I am just not a Ford Fusion kind of guy. Just not my taste. I absolutely despise owning a truck. People ask you for too many favors.

As a side note the Chevy commercials that now claim their new Chevy sedan is "just like a BMW" (they both have four wheels) or "reminds them of Audi" (From half a mile away and tear gas in your eyes they look alike) well they are lying. Because it doesn't at all. I have now been in all 3. The Chevy is nothing like either of those cars, not even close. Anyone who actually says those words has never been in a BMW or Audi in their life.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Another huge factor in total cost is resale value...

Kelley Blue Book
My current one lasted almost 8 years. For some reason my mom wants my old car. Her friends have convinced her that I am just making up all the issues I am having and "I just want a new car". That could not be further from the truth. The car is a 2006 Honda Accord SE with 113K on it. I plan on driving my next car just as long, if not longer.

I will be looking at a Lexus Saturday, another Beamer that is similar to the one I just drove, and an Audi. I might go look at a Hyundai and because I have been talked into it a Honda (the sporty Si). A co-worker wants me to go look at a Volvo, but I might skip that one.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
My current one lasted almost 8 years. For some reason my mom wants my old car. Her friends have convinced her that I am just making up all the issues I am having and "I just want a new car". That could not be further from the truth. The car is a 2006 Honda Accord SE with 113K on it. I plan on driving my next car just as long, if not longer.

I will be looking at a Lexus Saturday, another Beamer that is similar to the one I just drove, and an Audi. I might go look at a Hyundai and because I have been talked into it a Honda (the sporty Si). A co-worker wants me to go look at a Volvo, but I might skip that one.
i haven't followed volvo too much recently, but our neighbor got the entry level sedan a few years back (when volvo was still owned by ford) and it was garbage. the interior looked like something you would find on an economy rental car. very cheap look and feel and didn't hold up very well

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA

As a side note the Chevy commercials that now claim their new Chevy sedan is "just like a BMW" or "reminds them of Audi" well they are lying. Because it doesn't at all. I have now been in all 3. The Chevy is nothing like either of those cars, not even close. Anyone who actually says those words has never been in a BMW or Audi in their life.
Oh yeah, there is no comparison. I don’t understand those type commercials either. The wood trim in my BMW may be a wood veneer, but at least it’s not plastic simulated wood. When you shut the door , you can feel the difference. Don’t get me wrong, I like my Fusion, but I love my BMW! Was highlighting some of the better made domestic makes , IMO. Speaking of Audi, a buddy of mine owns an RS7 and an R8. Gorgeous automobiles. Well put together.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.