News Article: Clemson adds a marker to their "graveyard"

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/a...n-alabama-crimson-tide-graveyard-2019-reveal/

I'm sure Clemson does this all the time when they win something really big. They may already have one when winning the other NC where they beat us. Still gets under my skin. I hope it's used as motivation this season.
We've got a bigger cemetary than theirs just south of the stadium. This is where all the "victims" of our success over the years have been buried, RIGHT???:biggrin2:

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
No big deal; seems like an okay tradition for them.

I first thought the "Best Ever" was referencing the 15-0 record since it is on the same line; maybe it means Clemson's best record ever. Or, maybe it means Clemson's best team ever. It would be kooky to try to claim that the team is the best team in the history of college football.

Blindside13

All-SEC
Oct 22, 2011
Near the Barn
This is simply a traditon at Clemson it is what it is, why should we as Bama fans see this as a problem? Every college has their own traditions and this is one of Clemson's. I won't hate on them at all for this, they did beat the hell out of Bama and deserve to celebrate it.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
No big deal; seems like an okay tradition for them.

I first thought the "Best Ever" was referencing the 15-0 record since it is on the same line; maybe it means Clemson's best record ever. Or, maybe it means Clemson's best team ever. It would be kooky to try to claim that the team is the best team in the history of college football.
I don't think so. They beat a team that was being talked about by the media as potentially being the best ever. I have no doubt in my mind if we would have beaten Clemson 44-16 that narrative would have continued and intensified. So yeah, I think Clemson has an argument about being the best ever. Doesn't mean I agree with it. But it's not crazy talk.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
I don't think so. They beat a team that was being talked about by the media as potentially being the best ever. I have no doubt in my mind if we would have beaten Clemson 44-16 that narrative would have continued and intensified. So yeah, I think Clemson has an argument about being the best ever. Doesn't mean I agree with it. But it's not crazy talk.
You may be right but I wouldn't want to put it in stone if the roles were reversed.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Yeah I think we'd have a better claim to it, but I'm not sure I would have called us "best ever" either. It's a hefty claim. But, they won. To the victors go the spoils.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Yeah I think we'd have a better claim to it, but I'm not sure I would have called us "best ever" either. It's a hefty claim. But, they won. To the victors go the spoils.
That's where I'm at with it. Who am I, a fan of the team they curb stomped to death in front of god and errbody, to tell them how to celebrate? LOL! Beat'em and we're not even having this conversation.

Or in the words of Steve Spurrier when he was getting criticism for running up the score on bad teams "If you don't like us scoring then stop us."

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I don't think so. They beat a team that was being talked about by the media as potentially being the best ever.
Best Alabama offense ever, but the defense had too many faults and the special teams was a disaster. No one with two brain cells to rub together was talking about last year's Alabama team as the bet ever. The 2016 team that got beat by Clemson had a legitimate claim until the loss, but not last year's team.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Best Alabama offense ever, but the defense had too many faults and the special teams was a disaster. No one with two brain cells to rub together was talking about last year's Alabama team as the bet ever. The 2016 team that got beat by Clemson had a legitimate claim until the loss, but not last year's team.
Idk if you looked at it from the standpoint of margin of victory then that Alabama team was headed toward having an argument.

Clemson smashed an undefeated Alabama and Notre Dame team. I don't think Clemson's team was the best ever but they at least have a claim to being one of the best teams in recent history.

RTR2u

Hall of Fame
Nov 30, 2013
Georgia
Thanks for the comments. This was my first "thread starter." I saw the article and thought I would share. I'm sure many teams do something similar for their own fan bases. I just want revenge on this team. I for one am glad we don't have the only target on our backs for a change. I think we will be hungry this fall. I just hope we stay healthy.

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Idk if you looked at it from the standpoint of margin of victory then that Alabama team was headed toward having an argument..
Believe it if you wish, but no one here was talking about best ever, even before the Clemson game. Knowledgeable Alabama fans saw the gaping holes which were only masked by an incredible offense.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Believe it if you wish, but no one here was talking about best ever, even before the Clemson game. Knowledgeable Alabama fans saw the gaping holes which were only masked by an incredible offense.
I agree, but Bama fans aren't the ones with the national voice. The talking heads at ESPN are and I know first hand I heard it off and on all year, even leading up to the Clemson game, about this Bama team being the best ever.

Bamaatthebeach

1st Team
Feb 27, 2019
Myrtle Beach, SC, USA
They have done it for decades. I taught there briefly and am surrounded by their fans now, so believe me when I say that they are very passionate about their school. I never act boastfully about Alabama, so I didn't get a lot of abuse when they beat us, but I will still say it was awfully hard coming to work the next day/weeks. I do hope that our players see this tombstone and are motivated by it.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
They have done it for decades. I taught there briefly and am surrounded by their fans now, so believe me when I say that they are very passionate about their school. I never act boastfully about Alabama, so I didn't get a lot of abuse when they beat us, but I will still say it was awfully hard coming to work the next day/weeks. I do hope that our players see this tombstone and are motivated by it.
The good thing about it is, time has its way of swallowing up events and constantly putting them deeper and deeper into history and the world moves onto something else. LOL!

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I agree, but Bama fans aren't the ones with the national voice. The talking heads at ESPN are and I know first hand I heard it off and on all year, even leading up to the Clemson game, about this Bama team being the best ever.
Rat poison.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
You really should type in best team ever, Greatest team of all time, or something of the sort in the search box and you’ll see many posters here proclaiming that last years team was better than Nebraska 95 and Miami 01. So either you are calling 80-90% of the posters on here not knowledgeable or you just weren’t listening closely to the Alabama chatter last year

Bama fans were Tua drunk last year and the majority of them believed we were the GOAT.

mlh

All-American
Apr 28, 2004
I like Clemson and I like Dabo. They're my 2nd favorite team. There I said it. :p

This doesn't bother me a bit. I just look forward to a continuation of the rivalry. Clash of the Titans.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
You really should type in best team ever, Greatest team of all time, or something of the sort in the search box and you’ll see many posters here proclaiming that last years team was better than Nebraska 95 and Miami 01. So either you are calling 80-90% of the posters on here not knowledgeable or you just weren’t listening closely to the Alabama chatter last year

Bama fans were Tua drunk last year and the majority of them believed we were the GOAT.

There was definitely some chatter. But I go back to the schedule, and why I don't think I could have called us best ever had we beaten Clemson. Our schedule last year stunk. Sure, we got beat up physically by the SEC grind in November, and LSU and Mississippi State were tough teams, but neither had an offense to speak of. So, winning those games was never in doubt, and we pushed the margin to 20+. But other than that, we didn't play a team with a pulse until Georgia, and they took us to the brink. Georgia was not as good last year as they were the prior season either.

We had the victory margins. Had we beaten Clemson, some folks would have made the statement. But we were a very flawed team last year with once in a generation QB/offense that covered up a lot of problems until January.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.