News Article: Clemson adds a marker to their "graveyard"

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
You really should type in best team ever, Greatest team of all time, or something of the sort in the search box and you’ll see many posters here proclaiming that last years team was better than Nebraska 95 and Miami 01. So either you are calling 80-90% of the posters on here not knowledgeable or you just weren’t listening closely to the Alabama chatter last year

Bama fans were Tua drunk last year and the majority of them believed we were the GOAT.
I am fine with my initial statement. I am also okay with your explanation - fans were "Tua drunk". But fans also saw the gaping holes, and talked about them in just about every thread.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I am fine with my initial statement. I am also okay with your explanation - fans were "Tua drunk". But fans also saw the gaping holes, and talked about them in just about every thread.
Yeah but fans still didn't believe we would've lost that game, and very few gave Clemson the respect that they deserved. Look at the insane score predictions and you will see how much they believed we were unbeatable and the GOAT.

without folks claiming I was singling them out... here is the pick the score

https://www.tidefans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=306868&highlight=clemson

Folks clearly believed we were the GOAT.

My opinion throughout:

Losing Lewis: we are in significant trouble
Losing Diggs @Arkansas: we are in deep trouble
Losing Miller vs Oklahoma: Tua will win or lose the title because we aint stopping Trever without 3 of our 4 best defensive players out.

So no I never drank the Kool Aid

FWIW I think 18 Clemson will fall into that category 95 Nebraska does in that they are claimed to be the GOAT because no one expected them to destroy the team everyone was touting as GOAT. Basically remembered for 1 game, but none the less a GOAT but not the GOAT. I think 2001 Miami, 2004 USC, 2015 Alabama, and 2008 Florida rank higher as champs than 95 Nebraska and 18 Clemson.

Last edited:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
There was definitely some chatter. But I go back to the schedule, and why I don't think I could have called us best ever had we beaten Clemson. Our schedule last year stunk. Sure, we got beat up physically by the SEC grind in November, and LSU and Mississippi State were tough teams, but neither had an offense to speak of. So, winning those games was never in doubt, and we pushed the margin to 20+. But other than that, we didn't play a team with a pulse until Georgia, and they took us to the brink. Georgia was not as good last year as they were the prior season either.

We had the victory margins. Had we beaten Clemson, some folks would have made the statement. But we were a very flawed team last year with once in a generation QB/offense that covered up a lot of problems until January.
Yes but how many non eeyores were actually saying this. The point is we had flaws that were obvious, but the vast majority of fans never acknowledge them. It was obvious that anyone with a legit passing game was going to look like an elite offense once Diggs went down. Fromm proved that

Isaiah 63:1

All-American
Dec 8, 2005
Probably at 35k or in an airport somewhere
No big deal; seems like an okay tradition for them.

I first thought the "Best Ever" was referencing the 15-0 record since it is on the same line; maybe it means Clemson's best record ever. Or, maybe it means Clemson's best team ever. It would be kooky to try to claim that the team is the best team in the history of college football.
Dabo has said explicitly what you said it would be kooky to claim. The gravestone is only quoting their coach...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Yeah but fans still didn't believe we would've lost that game, and very few gave Clemson the respect that they deserved. Look at the insane score predictions and you will see how much they believed we were unbeatable and the GOAT.
I do not correlate the two. I thought that Alabama would win easily, but because Clemson did not play anyone leading up to that game, not because I believed that Alabama was the GOAT. IMO, if Alabama had prepared even a little bit for that game, you win. Clemson was not nearly as good as you made them look in that game.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I do not correlate the two. .
We were playing the #2 team in the country and we were still saying we were going to blow them out. We saw so many , " is this the best team ever", " IS this the best offense ever", and " look of these insane stats that this team has done" threads all last year. Folks believed this team was unbeatable and was the Greatest ever all year. Alabama fans truly believed that last year's team was the GOAT. Had we won I guarantee many fans would be saying it.

. IMO, if Alabama had prepared even a little bit for that game, you win. Clemson was not nearly as good as you made them look in that game.
We had no answer for Lawrence-Ross with the amount of big losses on defense, and we had a bunch of recruiters trying to be big time coaches. I don't think we win even if we "prepare a little better". We probably lose more respectably. Clemson is and was a great team last year, and there is no way around that fact. I compare them to Nebraska 95 in that they are a great team that status got a significant boost because they beat a team many thought was the GOAT.

Last edited:

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
One way you can tell a team has a history of mediocrity is when they create permanent markers for 'road wins over ranked opponents'...
We have 12 more NC & SEC trophies than they have tombstones. :biggrin:

Apparently Florida State also has one of these graveyards.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
One way you can tell a team has a history of mediocrity is when they create permanent markers for 'road wins over ranked opponents'...
if they joined the SEC... Clemson would be 4th in terms of wins+ NCs. I don't think that constitutes as a mediocre history considering they would be ahead of Florida, Auburn, and Georgia... unless you think the SEC! SEC! SEC! is just a bunch of overrated whiners that ride Bama's coattail :biggrin:

Last edited:

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
If they had put "First Ever", below the 15-0, that would make perfect sense, and would not be open to any interpretation. Definitive. Period.

No, they did something that might be considered bush league.

Might be.

</rant>

ccc2259

All-American
Oct 29, 2010
Lower Alabama
They earned the right to do it............but that doesn't make it go down any easier. If I ever take my dog for a walk on their campus, I know where I'll let him mark his territory.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
if they joined the SEC... Clemson would be 4th in terms of wins+ NCs. I don't think that constitutes as a mediocre history considering they would be ahead of Florida, Auburn, and Georgia... unless you think the SEC! SEC! SEC! is just a bunch of overrated whiners that ride Bama's coattail :biggrin:
I think it's much easier building a 'winning record' against the teams Clempson has historically played.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I think it's much easier building a 'winning record' against the teams Clempson has historically played.
easier than what?
Alabama? Sure
Georgia? They use to play UGA annually until the SEC until 2003
Florida? Sure
Tennessee? Depends when

Clemson now isn't a reflection of the overall history. Clemson was actually in pretty good competition until recently. I can get behind that they played only one real team (Alabama) like Nebraska did in 95, but Clemson does have a storied past. Maybe not top 10 or even top 15, but they are probably better historically than about 7-8 of SEC teams.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
We had no answer for Lawrence-Ross with the amount of big losses on defense, and we had a bunch of recruiters trying to be big time coaches. I don't think we win even if we "prepare a little better".
I don't think that you are giving your offense enough credit. Your lost because your offense did not plan for the defense that you faced, and the defense that you faced was not the same Clemson defense that took the field the rest of the year. They had a defensive game plan that was 100% different than any that they had used all year. You had no answer. You did not prepare for anything except what you saw on film. You did not self-scout because you did not think it necessary. That lack od preparation cost you the game.

As for Lawrence - you shut down their entire offense on 1st and 2nd down. You did okay on 3rd down until the defense was so tired that they couldn't stand up any more. If your offense was properly prepared, the defense holds up much better and you win the game. IMO, you win the game going away. Not becuse you were the GOAT, but because you were better than them. You just got out coached.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Sure but the defense was getting torched and it led to the offense being short-circuited. The gameplan was clearly to run all over them and we clearly could between the 20s. They just made plays in goal line and our run game effectively salted the game for them in the 3rd quarter. It was a closer game than it appeared and I think the offense and defense share blame. It was one of our least prepared to play outings we've had under Saban.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I don't think that you are giving your offense enough credit. .
They scored 16 points and the endzone might as well been a lava pit when we got on the goal line vs THEIR defense. How much credit do you want me to take away from a superior defense and its superior staff, and how much should I give back to an offense and its staff that had no idea how to respond to being hit in the jaw.

Your lost because your offense did not plan for the defense that you faced, and the defense that you faced was not the same Clemson defense that took the field the rest of the year. They had a defensive game plan that was 100% different than any that they had used all year..
Yet UGA did the same thing to us. So I guess that means Venerables and co>>>>>> Locks and co. The team and staff never got better after LSU, but Clemson got better after Syracuse.

. You did not prepare for anything except what you saw on film. You did not self-scout because you did not think it necessary. That lack od preparation cost you the game.

yeah I don't buy that at all. 15 games in and there is very little you could hold back from your base sets. Sure you could have trick formations to give you an edge here and there, but not a whole gameplan.

As for Lawrence - you shut down their entire offense on 1st and 2nd down. You did okay on 3rd down until the defense was so tired that they couldn't stand up any more. .

The truth is that our cornerbacks and linebackers were a liability the further down the depth chart you went, and once we lost Diggs we were back to basically having home run balls thrown on us again. Mack isn't near the field general as Lewis or Miller. We did some dumb things on defense. We weren't keeping them under 40 without some of our key playmakers back period.

If your offense was properly prepared, the defense holds up much better and you win the game.
The Oklahoma and Georgia game says we are still giving up tons of points vs Clemson even with a better offensive performance. But again Venerables trumps both defensive staffs of those teams, and we both know what UGA did to Tua so.....

IMO, you win the game going away. Not becuse you were the GOAT, but because you were better than them. You just got out coached.
44-16 isn't a game where if one or two, and maybe even 3 things go different fortunes completely flip. We weren't dominating them that night even if we played our best. It was an equal at best matchup. Maybe if we played 100% our best game it turns from CU 44-16 to Bama 55-51, but going away is a very big stretch.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.