News Article: Clemson adds a marker to their "graveyard" - Page 4
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame

Re: Clemson adds a marker to their "graveyard"

Quote Originally Posted by 81usaf92 View Post
    You really should type in best team ever, Greatest team of all time, or something of the sort in the search box and you’ll see many posters here proclaiming that last years team was better than Nebraska 95 and Miami 01. So either you are calling 80-90% of the posters on here not knowledgeable or you just weren’t listening closely to the Alabama chatter last year

Bama fans were Tua drunk last year and the majority of them believed we were the GOAT.

There was definitely some chatter. But I go back to the schedule, and why I don't think I could have called us best ever had we beaten Clemson. Our schedule last year stunk. Sure, we got beat up physically by the SEC grind in November, and LSU and Mississippi State were tough teams, but neither had an offense to speak of. So, winning those games was never in doubt, and we pushed the margin to 20+. But other than that, we didn't play a team with a pulse until Georgia, and they took us to the brink. Georgia was not as good last year as they were the prior season either.

We had the victory margins. Had we beaten Clemson, some folks would have made the statement. But we were a very flawed team last year with once in a generation QB/offense that covered up a lot of problems until January.

BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar

You really should type in best team ever, Greatest team of all time, or something of the sort in the search box and you’ll see many posters here proclaiming that last years team was better than Nebraska 95 and Miami 01. So either you are calling 80-90% of the posters on here not knowledgeable or you just weren’t listening closely to the Alabama chatter last year

Bama fans were Tua drunk last year and the majority of them believed we were the GOAT.
    I am fine with my initial statement. I am also okay with your explanation - fans were "Tua drunk". But fans also saw the gaping holes, and talked about them in just about every thread.

BamaNation All-SEC

I’m sure if Bama had a cemetery, there would be 15 or so Clemson tombstones in it

In any case, good for them...... their success has come from being coached by Bama alumni

BamaNation Hall of Fame 81usaf92's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    I am fine with my initial statement. I am also okay with your explanation - fans were "Tua drunk". But fans also saw the gaping holes, and talked about them in just about every thread.
    Yeah but fans still didn't believe we would've lost that game, and very few gave Clemson the respect that they deserved. Look at the insane score predictions and you will see how much they believed we were unbeatable and the GOAT.

without folks claiming I was singling them out... here is the pick the score

https://www.tidefans.com/forums/show...hlight=clemson

Folks clearly believed we were the GOAT.

My opinion throughout:

Losing Lewis: we are in significant trouble
    Losing Diggs @Arkansas: we are in deep trouble
    Losing Miller vs Oklahoma: Tua will win or lose the title because we aint stopping Trever without 3 of our 4 best defensive players out.

So no I never drank the Kool Aid

FWIW I think 18 Clemson will fall into that category 95 Nebraska does in that they are claimed to be the GOAT because no one expected them to destroy the team everyone was touting as GOAT. Basically remembered for 1 game, but none the less a GOAT but not the GOAT. I think 2001 Miami, 2004 USC, 2015 Alabama, and 2008 Florida rank higher as champs than 95 Nebraska and 18 Clemson.
    Last edited by 81usaf92; March 14th, 2019 at 01:19 PM.
    "Aut viam inveniam aut faciam."

Hannibal

BamaNation Hall of Fame

To the winners goes the spoils
    I owe it to the people to have a signature...so here goes nothing!

Quote Originally Posted by TideEngineer08 View Post
    There was definitely some chatter. But I go back to the schedule, and why I don't think I could have called us best ever had we beaten Clemson. Our schedule last year stunk. Sure, we got beat up physically by the SEC grind in November, and LSU and Mississippi State were tough teams, but neither had an offense to speak of. So, winning those games was never in doubt, and we pushed the margin to 20+. But other than that, we didn't play a team with a pulse until Georgia, and they took us to the brink. Georgia was not as good last year as they were the prior season either.

We had the victory margins. Had we beaten Clemson, some folks would have made the statement. But we were a very flawed team last year with once in a generation QB/offense that covered up a lot of problems until January.
    Yes but how many non eeyores were actually saying this. The point is we had flaws that were obvious, but the vast majority of fans never acknowledge them. It was obvious that anyone with a legit passing game was going to look like an elite offense once Diggs went down. Fromm proved that

Hannibal

BamaNation All-SEC
    Probably physically in an airport somewhere, but in Tuscaloosa in spirit

Quote Originally Posted by day-day View Post
    No big deal; seems like an okay tradition for them.

I first thought the "Best Ever" was referencing the 15-0 record since it is on the same line; maybe it means Clemson's best record ever. Or, maybe it means Clemson's best team ever. It would be kooky to try to claim that the team is the best team in the history of college football.
    Dabo has said explicitly what you said it would be kooky to claim. The gravestone is only quoting their coach...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar

Yeah but fans still didn't believe we would've lost that game, and very few gave Clemson the respect that they deserved. Look at the insane score predictions and you will see how much they believed we were unbeatable and the GOAT.
    I do not correlate the two. I thought that Alabama would win easily, but because Clemson did not play anyone leading up to that game, not because I believed that Alabama was the GOAT. IMO, if Alabama had prepared even a little bit for that game, you win. Clemson was not nearly as good as you made them look in that game.

I do not correlate the two. .
    We were playing the #2 team in the country and we were still saying we were going to blow them out. We saw so many , " is this the best team ever", " IS this the best offense ever", and " look of these insane stats that this team has done" threads all last year. Folks believed this team was unbeatable and was the Greatest ever all year. Alabama fans truly believed that last year's team was the GOAT. Had we won I guarantee many fans would be saying it.

. IMO, if Alabama had prepared even a little bit for that game, you win. Clemson was not nearly as good as you made them look in that game.
    We had no answer for Lawrence-Ross with the amount of big losses on defense, and we had a bunch of recruiters trying to be big time coaches. I don't think we win even if we "prepare a little better". We probably lose more respectably. Clemson is and was a great team last year, and there is no way around that fact. I compare them to Nebraska 95 in that they are a great team that status got a significant boost because they beat a team many thought was the GOAT.
    Last edited by 81usaf92; March 14th, 2019 at 02:16 PM.

Hannibal

One way you can tell a team has a history of mediocrity is when they create permanent markers for 'road wins over ranked opponents'...
    Oderint dum metuant - Lucius Accius

BamaNation Hall of Fame MattinBama's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonaudio View Post
    One way you can tell a team has a history of mediocrity is when they create permanent markers for 'road wins over ranked opponents'...
    We have 12 more NC & SEC trophies than they have tombstones.

Apparently Florida State also has one of these graveyards.

Where ever there's BBQ, Crawfish & Football

Quote Originally Posted by MattinBama View Post
    We have 12 more NC & SEC trophies than they have tombstones.

Apparently Florida State also has one of these graveyards.
    I wonder if that's where Jameis hid the crab legs?
    The existence of God isn't determined in the thoughts of man. God exists, no matter what man thinks.

"It cost a lot of money to look this cheap."-Dolly Parton.

"If you ever want to know how good your barbecue is start charging for it"-Myron Mixon

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonaudio View Post
    if they joined the SEC... Clemson would be 4th in terms of wins+ NCs. I don't think that constitutes as a mediocre history considering they would be ahead of Florida, Auburn, and Georgia... unless you think the SEC! SEC! SEC! is just a bunch of overrated whiners that ride Bama's coattail
    Last edited by 81usaf92; March 14th, 2019 at 03:11 PM.

Hannibal