News Article: Clemson adds a marker to their "graveyard" - Page 5
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame cuda.1973's Avatar

Re: Clemson adds a marker to their "graveyard"

If they had put "First Ever", below the 15-0, that would make perfect sense, and would not be open to any interpretation. Definitive. Period.

No, they did something that might be considered bush league.

Might be.

</rant>
    "I hate morning people.
    And mornings.

And people!"

BamaNation All-American ccc2259's Avatar

They earned the right to do it............but that doesn't make it go down any easier. If I ever take my dog for a walk on their campus, I know where I'll let him mark his territory.
    "Bryant can take his'n and beat your'n, and then he can turn around and take your'n and beat his'n." -- Houston Oiler head coach Bum Phillips, a former player under Coach Bryant

Quote Originally Posted by 81usaf92 View Post
    if they joined the SEC... Clemson would be 4th in terms of wins+ NCs. I don't think that constitutes as a mediocre history considering they would be ahead of Florida, Auburn, and Georgia... unless you think the SEC! SEC! SEC! is just a bunch of overrated whiners that ride Bama's coattail
    I think it's much easier building a 'winning record' against the teams Clempson has historically played.
    Oderint dum metuant - Lucius Accius

BamaNation Hall of Fame 81usaf92's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonaudio View Post
    I think it's much easier building a 'winning record' against the teams Clempson has historically played.
    easier than what?
    Alabama? Sure
    Georgia? They use to play UGA annually until the SEC until 2003
    Florida? Sure
    Tennessee? Depends when

Clemson now isn't a reflection of the overall history. Clemson was actually in pretty good competition until recently. I can get behind that they played only one real team (Alabama) like Nebraska did in 95, but Clemson does have a storied past. Maybe not top 10 or even top 15, but they are probably better historically than about 7-8 of SEC teams.
    "Aut viam inveniam aut faciam."

Hannibal

BamaNation All-American

Win with class, or as Coach Bryant said," Act like you've been there before."

BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 81usaf92 View Post
    We had no answer for Lawrence-Ross with the amount of big losses on defense, and we had a bunch of recruiters trying to be big time coaches. I don't think we win even if we "prepare a little better".
    I don't think that you are giving your offense enough credit. Your lost because your offense did not plan for the defense that you faced, and the defense that you faced was not the same Clemson defense that took the field the rest of the year. They had a defensive game plan that was 100% different than any that they had used all year. You had no answer. You did not prepare for anything except what you saw on film. You did not self-scout because you did not think it necessary. That lack od preparation cost you the game.

As for Lawrence - you shut down their entire offense on 1st and 2nd down. You did okay on 3rd down until the defense was so tired that they couldn't stand up any more. If your offense was properly prepared, the defense holds up much better and you win the game. IMO, you win the game going away. Not becuse you were the GOAT, but because you were better than them. You just got out coached.

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Sure but the defense was getting torched and it led to the offense being short-circuited. The gameplan was clearly to run all over them and we clearly could between the 20s. They just made plays in goal line and our run game effectively salted the game for them in the 3rd quarter. It was a closer game than it appeared and I think the offense and defense share blame. It was one of our least prepared to play outings we've had under Saban.
    I owe it to the people to have a signature...so here goes nothing!

BamaNation Hall of Fame 81usaf92's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    I don't think that you are giving your offense enough credit. .
    They scored 16 points and the endzone might as well been a lava pit when we got on the goal line vs THEIR defense. How much credit do you want me to take away from a superior defense and its superior staff, and how much should I give back to an offense and its staff that had no idea how to respond to being hit in the jaw.

Your lost because your offense did not plan for the defense that you faced, and the defense that you faced was not the same Clemson defense that took the field the rest of the year. They had a defensive game plan that was 100% different than any that they had used all year..
    Yet UGA did the same thing to us. So I guess that means Venerables and co>>>>>> Locks and co. The team and staff never got better after LSU, but Clemson got better after Syracuse.

. You did not prepare for anything except what you saw on film. You did not self-scout because you did not think it necessary. That lack od preparation cost you the game.

yeah I don't buy that at all. 15 games in and there is very little you could hold back from your base sets. Sure you could have trick formations to give you an edge here and there, but not a whole gameplan.

As for Lawrence - you shut down their entire offense on 1st and 2nd down. You did okay on 3rd down until the defense was so tired that they couldn't stand up any more. .

The truth is that our cornerbacks and linebackers were a liability the further down the depth chart you went, and once we lost Diggs we were back to basically having home run balls thrown on us again. Mack isn't near the field general as Lewis or Miller. We did some dumb things on defense. We weren't keeping them under 40 without some of our key playmakers back period.

If your offense was properly prepared, the defense holds up much better and you win the game.
    The Oklahoma and Georgia game says we are still giving up tons of points vs Clemson even with a better offensive performance. But again Venerables trumps both defensive staffs of those teams, and we both know what UGA did to Tua so.....

IMO, you win the game going away. Not becuse you were the GOAT, but because you were better than them. You just got out coached.
    44-16 isn't a game where if one or two, and maybe even 3 things go different fortunes completely flip. We weren't dominating them that night even if we played our best. It was an equal at best matchup. Maybe if we played 100% our best game it turns from CU 44-16 to Bama 55-51, but going away is a very big stretch.
    Last edited by 81usaf92; March 14th, 2019 at 04:44 PM.
    "Aut viam inveniam aut faciam."

Hannibal

BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar

Agree to disagree. That is cool.

BamaNation Hall of Fame GrayTide's Avatar

I honestly do not care what Clemson does, if it makes them happy then let them have at it, they were certainly the best college football team last year.
    "My momma always said you got to put the past behind you before you can move on." Forrest Gump

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

BamaNation All-SEC

No Clemson ... we are very much alive ... and we see you.

BamaNation All-American CrimsonTheory's Avatar

Real Champions do not do these kind of gimmicky shenanigans. It's why Clemson will always be #2 as long as Nick Saban and Alabama are still around.

Clemson: Seth Rollins of CFB. Cool, hip and modern.
    Alabama: Ric Flair. Enough said.
    the former CrimsonBleedRed.

BamaNation All-American PA Tide Fan's Avatar

Seems more appropriate for a second-tier program to do when they occasionally pull off an upset of a national power. If Clemson feels they are an elite team then they should act like it's not a big deal to beat another elite team.