News Article: Clemson adds a marker to their "graveyard"

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
Do not apologize!!!
***I Should have read the whole string first...my comment was days behind...:Joker_PDT_34: on TideFans.com
LOL! Yep. I've had to, scratch that, MY WIFE has had to "watch my mouth" and keep me from saying stuff about all this tomfoolery to keep from offending everyone else. Currently, my 11 year old plays on a REC team that plays an occasional local tournament. His coach is truly a great guy. Spends a lot of his personal time practicing with the kids etc. However, IMO, he takes it a bit too far in some areas, such as the multiple uniforms and trying to get the kids to look like the pros. He is also a big advocate of private lessons. Which IMO, is a waste of money in most cases. I did get a good zinger in (then I got my butt chewed by my wife) this past week. During the offseason, the coach setup an eight week hitting lesson with a local hitting coach. The cost per child for the total eight weeks was $500. I chose for mine not to participate because again, I think these type things are a waste of money and time most of the time. Coach called me and literally said the following "I really wish you'd let *my son's name* take these lessons. I'm going to hate to see him fall behind the other players when we start playing in the Spring." I thanked him for the concern but respectfully said "We'll pass, I think he'll be fine."

Fast forward to this week. We've since played in three tournaments and just played in our first REC game this week. I'll give you one guess who's been the best and most consistent hitter on the team since the season started? Yep, (brag alert) mine. All the ones whose parents dropped the $500 have struggled mightily and our team as a whole has only won 1 game since starting this season. Granted, it's still very, very early and the regular season REC ball hasn't officially begun. But we've played roughly 12 "pre-season" games and so far, I don't see $500 worth of private hitting lessons paying off for anybody.

After the most recent game (this week) we were walking to the vehicle and the coach caught me and my wife and said "Man, *my son's name* is really zeroed in on the ball. I sure wish the rest of the team would start hitting. We really need it." I couldn't resist, and yes, I completely understand this was tool-baggish of me. But I casually said "I'm just glad now I didn't put him in those $500 hitting lessons. That's the best $500 I've never spent." He laughed it off and said "No doubt!". But boy my wife chewed me a new one when we got in the truck, as she should. I should have never said that and I plan on apologizing to him tomorrow at our game.

Last edited:

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
I got curious and added it up. Alabama would have 100 gravemarkers or so (I didn't count regular season games at Legion Field only road victories vs top 25 and SEC championship games at Legion field) if we did this. Was actually a bit less than I expected but there were a lot of years where most of the SEC was unranked.

RollTide1224

All-American
Feb 18, 2008
Spartanburg, SC
I live in upstate south carolina and have been to several clemson games in my day. The first one I went to with my buddy we went past the graveyard on our way to the stadium. I kind of liked the idea but was shocked at how few gravestones there were considering the criteria was beating a ranked team on the road. I think I said something like man Alabama's would look like Arlington compared to this. That was probably 2010, I imagine they've added quite a few more since then.

I kind of just viewed it as a good way to remember some big games in the past. Basically walk by with your son and say man that 1983 game against NC State was something else.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.