News Article: Clemson adds a marker to their "graveyard"
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Clemson adds a marker to their "graveyard"

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/al...d-2019-reveal/

I'm sure Clemson does this all the time when they win something really big. They may already have one when winning the other NC where they beat us. Still gets under my skin. I hope it's used as motivation this season.

BamaNation Hall of Fame cuda.1973's Avatar

Re: Clemson adds a marker to their "graveyard"

"Auburn with a lake", indeed.
    "I hate morning people.
    And mornings.

And people!"

Just another file to the "Never Dabo" folder...
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson

BamaNation Hall of Fame

They've done this for many many years. I'm not sure what the standards are, but this goes back into the Frank Howard days if I'm not mistaken.

Still... get it up on posters all over the weight room and practice facilities.

Where ever there's BBQ, Crawfish & Football

Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post
    Just another file to the "Never Dabo" folder...
    I'm not saying I like stuff like this because I don't. I grew up in a time period of sports where coaches simply didn't do theatrics like this. However, what Dabo is doing is becoming the norm in dealing with and relating to young athletes today. The Sean McVay's, PJ Flecks, and the James Franklin's of the world are using methods of relating and preparing their players that fly directly in the face of what coaches like Saban and probably the coaches we had growing up as kids. And as time continues to pass these methods will become the norm if it hasn't started to already.

You see it everywhere at almost every level. My oldest boys play baseball and it has become VERY VERY common to see teams bring sound systems to put in the dugout to play when they're warming up. Some teams use "walk up music" for each player. MLB has a marketing program out right now using Ken Griffey Jr called "Let the kids play". Basically trying to tear down a lot of the unwritten etiquette that has supposedly "plagued" baseball for years. Whereas back when we played, stuff like that would have been looked down upon and scoffed at as "bush league". I was raised in the "Act like you've been there" sports generation.
    Last edited by Bamabuzzard; March 14th, 2019 at 09:42 AM.
    The existence of God isn't determined in the thoughts of man. God exists, no matter what man thinks.

"It cost a lot of money to look this cheap."-Dolly Parton.

"If you ever want to know how good your barbecue is start charging for it"-Myron Mixon

BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar

I prefer Alabama's Walk of Champions. I guess that this is their tacky version of that. I agree that it could be a very useful motivational tool.

Did they do this after their previous championship?

Quote Originally Posted by TideEngineer08 View Post
    They've done this for many many years. I'm not sure what the standards are, but this goes back into the Frank Howard days if I'm not mistaken.

Still... get it up on posters all over the weight room and practice facilities.
    Think it has to be a top 25 team, so they don't do it often playing in the ACC.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bamabuzzard View Post
    I'm not saying I like stuff like this because I don't. I grew up in a time period of sports where coaches simply didn't do theatrics like this. However, what Dabo is doing is becoming the norm in dealing with and relating to young athletes today. The Sean McVay's, PJ Flecks, and the James Franklin's of the world are using methods of relating and preparing their players that fly directly in the face of what coaches like Saban and probably the coaches we had growing up as kids. And as time continues to pass these methods will become the norm if it hasn't started to already.
    Alabama does things, too. Not something as corny as this, though. Click
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson

I've seen NFL teams do similar stuff like "burying" stuff from the previous year and having a "funeral service". The Saints come to mind. I also think the Chargers did it as well. It's corny as all get out but Clemson definitely isn't the only ones who do stupid stuff like this.

One of the dumbest things I've seen is the theatrics of the "turnover chain", "turnover garbage can", "turnover belt" etc. I absolutely hate that. But again, I'm outdated to what the kids enjoy and do today. I simply wasn't taught to do stuff like that.
    Last edited by Bamabuzzard; March 14th, 2019 at 09:00 AM.
    The existence of God isn't determined in the thoughts of man. God exists, no matter what man thinks.

"If you ever want to know how good your barbecue is start charging for it"-Myron Mixon

BamaNation Hall of Fame 81usaf92's Avatar

Any top 25 team they beat on the road they make a gravestone. They’ve done it even before Dabo was there so this isn’t exclusive a Dabo thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Bamabuzzard View Post
    I've seen NFL teams do similar stuff like "burying" stuff from the previous year and having a "funeral service". The Saints come to mind. I also think the Chargers did it as well. It's corny as all get out but Clemson definitely isn't the only ones who do stupid stuff like this.

One of the dumbest things I've seen is the theatrics of the "turnover chain", "turnover garbage can", "turnover belt" etc. I absolutely hate that. But again, I'm outdated to what the kids enjoy and do today. I simply wasn't taught to do stuff like that.
    You do realize Saban and Kirby came up with the turnover belt to begin with.
    Last edited by 81usaf92; March 14th, 2019 at 09:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    I prefer Alabama's Walk of Champions. I guess that this is their tacky version of that. I agree that it could be a very useful motivational tool.

Did they do this after their previous championship?
    They do this after every top 25 road victory. There are at least 2 Ohio St gravestones out there as well.

Quote Originally Posted by 81usaf92 View Post
    You do realize Saban and Pruitt came up with the turnover belt to begin with.
    So, doesn't mean I like it. But again, I was raised in a much different sports culture. It also goes to show you that Saban has no problem adapting. Do you really think 15 years ago Saban would have been open to a "turnover belt" being paraded around on the sidelines? LOL!

The point I'm trying to make is Dabo isn't doing anything that is out of touch with what's already going on in some form or fashion all over sports. How coaches deal and interact with players changes over time. This is no different.

For those who think this is a Dabo thing...

https://clemsontigers.com/the-graveyard/