News Article: Clemson adds a marker to their "graveyard"

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
They've done this for many many years. I'm not sure what the standards are, but this goes back into the Frank Howard days if I'm not mistaken.

Still... get it up on posters all over the weight room and practice facilities.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Just another file to the "Never Dabo" folder...
I'm not saying I like stuff like this because I don't. I grew up in a time period of sports where coaches simply didn't do theatrics like this. However, what Dabo is doing is becoming the norm in dealing with and relating to young athletes today. The Sean McVay's, PJ Flecks, and the James Franklin's of the world are using methods of relating and preparing their players that fly directly in the face of what coaches like Saban and probably the coaches we had growing up as kids. And as time continues to pass these methods will become the norm if it hasn't started to already.

You see it everywhere at almost every level. My oldest boys play baseball and it has become VERY VERY common to see teams bring sound systems to put in the dugout to play when they're warming up. Some teams use "walk up music" for each player. MLB has a marketing program out right now using Ken Griffey Jr called "Let the kids play". Basically trying to tear down a lot of the unwritten etiquette that has supposedly "plagued" baseball for years. Whereas back when we played, stuff like that would have been looked down upon and scoffed at as "bush league". I was raised in the "Act like you've been there" sports generation.

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I prefer Alabama's Walk of Champions. I guess that this is their tacky version of that. I agree that it could be a very useful motivational tool.

Did they do this after their previous championship?

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
They've done this for many many years. I'm not sure what the standards are, but this goes back into the Frank Howard days if I'm not mistaken.

Still... get it up on posters all over the weight room and practice facilities.
Think it has to be a top 25 team, so they don't do it often playing in the ACC.
I'm not saying I like stuff like this because I don't. I grew up in a time period of sports where coaches simply didn't do theatrics like this. However, what Dabo is doing is becoming the norm in dealing with and relating to young athletes today. The Sean McVay's, PJ Flecks, and the James Franklin's of the world are using methods of relating and preparing their players that fly directly in the face of what coaches like Saban and probably the coaches we had growing up as kids. And as time continues to pass these methods will become the norm if it hasn't started to already.
Alabama does things, too. Not something as corny as this, though. Click

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004

I've seen NFL teams do similar stuff like "burying" stuff from the previous year and having a "funeral service". The Saints come to mind. I also think the Chargers did it as well. It's corny as all get out but Clemson definitely isn't the only ones who do stupid stuff like this.

One of the dumbest things I've seen is the theatrics of the "turnover chain", "turnover garbage can", "turnover belt" etc. I absolutely hate that. But again, I'm outdated to what the kids enjoy and do today. I simply wasn't taught to do stuff like that.

Last edited:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

Any top 25 team they beat on the road they make a gravestone. They’ve done it even before Dabo was there so this isn’t exclusive a Dabo thing.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I've seen NFL teams do similar stuff like "burying" stuff from the previous year and having a "funeral service". The Saints come to mind. I also think the Chargers did it as well. It's corny as all get out but Clemson definitely isn't the only ones who do stupid stuff like this.

One of the dumbest things I've seen is the theatrics of the "turnover chain", "turnover garbage can", "turnover belt" etc. I absolutely hate that. But again, I'm outdated to what the kids enjoy and do today. I simply wasn't taught to do stuff like that.
You do realize Saban and Kirby came up with the turnover belt to begin with.

Last edited:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I prefer Alabama's Walk of Champions. I guess that this is their tacky version of that. I agree that it could be a very useful motivational tool.

Did they do this after their previous championship?
They do this after every top 25 road victory. There are at least 2 Ohio St gravestones out there as well.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
You do realize Saban and Pruitt came up with the turnover belt to begin with.
So, doesn't mean I like it. But again, I was raised in a much different sports culture. It also goes to show you that Saban has no problem adapting. Do you really think 15 years ago Saban would have been open to a "turnover belt" being paraded around on the sidelines? LOL!

The point I'm trying to make is Dabo isn't doing anything that is out of touch with what's already going on in some form or fashion all over sports. How coaches deal and interact with players changes over time. This is no different.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
So, doesn't mean I like it. But again, I was raised in a much different sports culture. It also goes to show you that Saban has no problem adapting. Do you really think 15 years ago Saban would have been open to a "turnover belt" being paraded around on the sidelines? LOL!

The point I'm trying to make is Dabo isn't doing anything that is out of touch with what's already going on in some form or fashion all over sports. How coaches deal and interact with players changes over time. This is no different.
But again this is a Clemson tradition dating back to atleast the 40’s.

For the Turnover item that Saban invented... if it works then who am I to judge? But the Clemson graveyard is a long time tradition not a Dabo thing. It would be like saying smoking a cigar after TSIO is a Saban thing.

Last edited:

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Florida State does something similar. They grab a piece of sod at the home team's stadium and bring it back to their "sod cemetery." I can't remember when they started that. Maybe it was Bobby Bowden back in the 80s when he was building up FSU. Don't ask me what they've done if it was artificial turf...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.