Fukushima, Chernobyl, And Three Mile Island Show Why Nuclear Is Inherently Safe...

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
“By now close to one million people have died of causes linked to the Chernobyl disaster,” wrote Helen Caldicott, an Australian medical doctor, in The New York Times. Fukushima could “far exceed Chernobyl in terms of the effects on public health.”

Many pro-nuclear people came to believe that the accident was proof that the dominant form of nuclear reactor, which is cooled by water, is fatally flawed. They called for radically different kinds of reactors to make the technology “inherently safe.”

But now, eight years after Fukushima, the best-available science clearly shows that Caldicott’s estimate of the number of people killed by nuclear accidents was off by one million. Radiation from Chernobyl will kill, at most, 200 people, while the radiation from Fukushima and Three Mile Island will kill zero people.

In other words, the main lesson that should be drawn from the worst nuclear accidents is that nuclear energy has always been inherently safe.
It Sounds Crazy, But Fukushima, Chernobyl, And Three Mile Island Show Why Nuclear Is Inherently Safe

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
Properly designed and implemented, nuclear fission used for electricity generation is very safe except for the waste issue.
and there is the entire problem. There is simply no good way to get rid of the waste, nor does there appear to be any solutions on the horizon

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
and there is the entire problem. There is simply no good way to get rid of the waste, nor does there appear to be any solutions on the horizon
Yup. Just to be clear, this is the reason people oppose fission as a true energy solution. The process is fine, but the waste it produces is not.

That being said, I cannot see a feasible transition away from coal that doesn't involve nuclear energy at the moment. So I choose to see it as a necessary stop-gap measure rather than a long-term solution.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
And that is a problem that NO ONE who supports nuclear energy will properly address; there simply is no viable solution.
Like what do we do with our trash now that China and other third world countries won’t take it? No viable alternative. But that’s OK, because it’s too expensive to come up with one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
There have been rumors swirling for the last couple of years that the Chinese are either on the verge of (or have finished perfecting) molten salt reactors.

BamaInMo1

All-American
Oct 27, 2006
Cumming, GA
I'll address the issue of nuclear waste.
There's no good solution.
I'm all for green energy as long as it is efficient and cost effective.
I would also agree that we as a country and the world in general need to get away from coal and stuff like that. No arguement from me there.
My question (serious question because I do not know) is that with all of the technology we have (we've sent people to the moon and used spacecraft like the space shuttle and such) we can't produce affordable green energy? Why is that?

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
I'll address the issue of nuclear waste.
There's no good solution.
I'm all for green energy as long as it is efficient and cost effective.
I would also agree that we as a country and the world in general need to get away from coal and stuff like that. No arguement from me there.
My question (serious question because I do not know) is that with all of the technology we have (we've sent people to the moon and used spacecraft like the space shuttle and such) we can't produce affordable green energy? Why is that?
Fusion is the ultimate answer if we can ever figure out a way to do it.

Reactions: twofbyc

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I guess this belongs here as well as any other place.
Germany shuts all of its nuclear plants – and is warned it will regret it
If any nation on Earth can run nuclear power plants without mishap, it has to be the Germans. Heck, the French do a good job at running theirs.
I believe the net effect will be to increase reliance on oil and gas, at least in the short term.

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA
I guess this belongs here as well as any other place.
Germany shuts all of its nuclear plants – and is warned it will regret it
If any nation on Earth can run nuclear power plants without mishap, it has to be the Germans. Heck, the French do a good job at running theirs.
I believe the net effect will be to increase reliance on oil and gas, at least in the short term.
France gets seventy percent of their power production from nuclear.
yes, they will regret it.

Reactions: crimsonaudio

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
Germany is being foolish. Until there are better options (all current options have a down side), nuclear fission remains an option to be used to mitigate climate change, which must be done.

Reactions: crimsonaudio

CrimsonJazz

All-American
May 27, 2022

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA
Is a breeder reactor required for that?
Breeder reactors are a type of reactor that converts Uranium 238 into U 235, and/or Thorium 232 into U233. U233 & U235 are fissle and are what creates energy.

The nuclear waste is reprocessed using liquid extraction, a similar process to how water is demineralized. The 'good' parts recovered are used again in nuclear fuel.

Last edited:

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.