Mass shooting at mosque in New Zealand (Please no videos)

formersoldier71

All-American
May 9, 2004
Jasper, AL
Did they have the turnout they have now? I checked with my friend (who buys and sells guns and goes to every show within a 200 mile radius) and he doesn’t remember.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
As a young person in the early/mid 80's, it seemed like a lot of people to me. It wasn't two table and five people showed up. But, I have no idea how the number of shows and attendees compares. I would guess the numbers of both are larger now.

Its On A Slab

All-SEC
Apr 18, 2018
Pyongyang, Democratic Republic of Korea
I've noticed an eerie silence among the people I know, acquaintances in the Trump/alt right vortex.

Although, it seems Breibart is now trying to smear the NZ shooter as a Chicom leftist, despite his manifesto that praised Trump and other alt-right mouthpieces.

The depravity of the alt-right knows no depths.

Maudiemae

All-SEC
Oct 18, 2003
West Palm Beach, Florida
Sadly, nobody inspired white nationalists more than Obama. The problem is hatred looks for any reason to act.
Because he is black. THAT'S your argument?!!! Yes, that is, indeed, very sad. It also affirms the claim that this nation is still so backward and racist that an appalling number of people voted for a person they perceive to be supportive of white nationalist thinking.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Because he is black. THAT'S your argument?!!! Yes, that is, indeed, very sad. It also affirms the claim that this nation is still so backward and racist that an appalling number of people voted for a person they perceive to be supportive of white nationalist thinking.
you must be new here ;)

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I'm a weird guy for the left I suppose but I'm not really for weapon bans. I think the process for acquiring and maintaining firearm ownership needs some work. Before long when you buy a car in this state, it will automatically be registered for the various automative taxes w/ municipalities, county, and state. Every single car title at a new or used car dealership is already documented on location by the state. Obviously, the state has a financial motivation in this degree of paper trail where it does not with firearms. Still, it shows that it is imminently possible for a state to trace firearm ownership. Furthermore it would impose documentation for personal/private sale by threat of prison time if you cannot produce a weapon when some state mandated regularly scheduled inventory is called. They just choose to not go this route because it would rustle the jimmies of some.

But I think it is the only way to go when you consider all the variables involved. The interpretation of the 2nd amendment might guarantee the right to firearm ownership but it doesn't preclude the market from being highly regulated and all sales being prescribed and observed in some fashion by the state.
When discussing the gun control issue with someone, the moment I start hearing "banning and confiscating guns" or "I should be able to carry a lit flame thrower and hand grenades". I start thinking about what I'm going to eat for supper or have I forgotten to pick up a kid from daycare, baseball or violin practice. Regardless of one's general political affiliation, if you're not in the camp of one of the above extremes. "We" all should be ensuring that whatever attempts are entertained as solutions. The extreme ideas never begin to be considered legitimate solutions. I'm open to conversations for most things in the in between. But the closer someone steps toward the extremes of either side. I'm really not interested in having a conversation about it.

Last edited:

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
When discussing the gun control issue with someone, the moment I start hearing "banning and confiscating guns" or "I should be able to carry a lit flame thrower and hand grenades". I start thinking about what I'm going to eat for supper or have I forgotten to pick up a kid from daycare, baseball or violin practice. Regardless of one's general political affiliation, if you're not in the camp of one of the above extremes. "We" all should be ensuring that whatever attempts are entertained as solutions. The extreme ideas never begin to be considered legitimate solutions. I'm open to conversations for almost most things in the in between. But the closer someone steps toward the extremes of either side. I'm really not interested in having a conversation about it.
This was what I was trying to say for the most part in my first post in the thread. Let's keep everything on the table for discussion and not let a single subject - such as gun control - remove all the oxygen in the room.

And I'll save 92 the trouble and say "I must be new here!" :D

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
This was what I was trying to say for the most part in my first post in the thread. Let's keep everything on the table for discussion and not let a single subject - such as gun control - remove all the oxygen in the room.

And I'll save 92 the trouble and say "I must be new here!" :D
gun control <> banning and confiscating guns.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
New Zealand bans military-style rifles, prime minister says days after mosque attacks that left 50 dead

i guess oz didn't get the memo that they can't talk about gun control in response to these events

CHRISTCHURCH, New Zealand — New Zealand has banned military-style semiautomatic weapons and assault rifles, Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern announced Thursday, just six days after attacks on two mosques in Christchurch that left 50 people dead.

A buyback program will be launched to take existing weapons out of circulation, and gun owners who do not comply will be subject to fines, she said.

“On 15 March, our history changed forever. Now, our laws will, too,” Ardern said. “We are announcing action today on behalf of all New Zealanders to strengthen our gun laws and make our country a safer place.”

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
It's easy to make moves like this when there's no recognized right to deal with.
it's also easy to do this when you don't have the nra.

there is a lot that we could do that doesn't infringe on people's 2a rights, but we cant discuss those without being accused of trying to confiscate everyone's guns.

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005

there is a lot that we could do that doesn't infringe on people's 2a rights, but we cant discuss those without being accused of trying to confiscate everyone's guns.
I think it's pretty clear that we'd be better off today if fully automatic rifles had never been regulated.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

Understood, but the point remains - the POTUS cannot just decide to ban something and have congress fall in line. Things have to move slower here, specifically regarding enumerated rights.

And I'd suggest that's a good thing - knee-jerk reactions like this are rarely the right move (generally speaking).

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Understood, but the point remains - the POTUS cannot just decide to ban something and have congress fall in line. Things have to move slower here, specifically regarding enumerated rights.

And I'd suggest that's a good thing - knee-jerk reactions like this are rarely the right move (generally speaking).
you probably don't want to tell this potus that ;)

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.