Mass shooting at mosque in New Zealand (Please no videos)

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
In the space of a very few years, I've moved from wanting no limits at all to wanting universal registration and more restrictions on types of arms, although it will affect me personally. The lives lost and the carnage directly caused my change in attitude. I'm presently in favor of universal, integrated databases. It will affect gun collectors, but it will also indicate then someone starts building a murder arsenal. I regard the "but that just leads to confiscation" as hysteria, profitable hysteria. However, I don't understand your friend's position. I understand the rifle part. My father absolutely hated rifles and regarded them as something which made it unsafe for anyone to be in the woods. OTOH, I received my first shotgun at age 10, along with the safety and maintenance instructions. On the .38, the 9mm is very slightly smaller in diameter and is the most popular round by far. IDK that you've accomplished much by banning .40s, .44s and .45s, since that's such a tiny portion of the market and their effective advantage over 9mms is much debated. The pistol-owning explosion is a modern thing. When I was at UA in the mid '50s - early '60s, I knew exactly one pistol owner and he was regarded as a nut. (It was a Ruger Blackhawk .44 mag and he loved busting concrete blocks with it.) And, having run for SGA president, I knew 100s of students. As a kid, I knew no one with a pistol other than policemen...
What do you think caused the change?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I agree 100% with your “former military” friend about what citizens should own. To me, if you want more than that, then either register them or just let everybody own WHATEVER WEAPON THEY DESIRE.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Like I stated, I actually agree with some of his logic behind his ideas. But at the end, I think they're too extreme. I've hunted in hunting clubs where there were guys who in my opinion, had ZERO business not only hunting. But owning a firearm. In one of the leases I was in (before kids) we had to dismiss two guys from the lease due to recklessness with their firearms that put all of us in danger. So yeah, I can understand the reasoning behind his ideas. I just feel they are too extreme.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Good, me too.

You've made several arguments. The one that bothers me is this idea that you might support some move on gun reform if it existed in a vacuum. But since you fear what might come after, you seem to oppose any movement at all. I don't think that's a responsible position. Now if I've mischaracterized your stance then I apologize, but that's how it read to me.

I also think that position is part of the reason we're in this mess. Someone smarter than me has suggested that the children killed in school shootings over the past few decades are paying the price for the unfettered gun liberties afforded to older generations, and this mentality where invoking the slippery slope leads to outright paralysis seems to capture this conflict pretty well IMO.
As I stated above, when having this argument there needs to be a tension and balance to ensure no solution goes to extremes. Do I think Meth-head Marty should be able to walk into an Academy Sports and buy an AR-15, unlimited rounds like he's buying a pack of gum? Heck no. But I also don't think the idea of the government passing down a law that states each citizen is only able to own one .38 pistol and one single shot 12 gauge is good either. So when having the conversation of gun control there needs to be people ensuring we don't go to either of the above extremes, IMO.

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
I meant what caused gun ownership to become so widespread.
I think you're talking about the change to more pistols being carried. I don't think you can really point to any one thing. Gang violence started incorporating them more and more, movies in the 60s/70s started showing them a lot more (Westerns, movies like Deathwish, Shaft, Dirty Harry etc), drug trade and even some of the bootlegging trade in the South probably contributed. I'm sure there were quite a few other contributors.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
I think you're talking about the change to more pistols being carried. I don't think you can really point to any one thing. Gang violence started incorporating them more and more, movies in the 60s/70s started showing them a lot more (Westerns, movies like Deathwish, Shaft, Dirty Harry etc), drug trade and even some of the bootlegging trade in the South probably contributed. I'm sure there were quite a few other contributors.
I agree, cultural shifts in a lot of areas is probably the most accurate answer.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I'll admit that the first handgun I bought, a Walther PPK, was because of the Bond movies. It was lousy. The first three jammed repeatedly. They finally traded me a S&W .38 Chief Special, with full dollar allowance for the last PPK...

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
I think the changes in manufacturing and marketing of handguns is a huge reason for increased ownership. Glock was revolutionary and others followed. Semi auto handguns have become as reliable as revolvers. Plus they are available in different calibers . polymer frames have made guns lighter, easier to carry. changeable backstraps and side grip panels to personalize to your hand size. Plus easy to color and market to different segments of society like pink and purple hand guns marketed to women. FDE colored guns piggybacking from desert wars .

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
Anybody that want's to go into a crowd and kill a lot of folks should be using a pump shotgun with buckshot. Just sayin
Or the person should set off a bomb like the majority of terrorist attacks in the world. The dude in New Zealand liked the access to guns but if he wanted to, he could have built an explosive device and killed plenty.

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
Or the person should set off a bomb like the majority of terrorist attacks in the world. The dude in New Zealand liked the access to guns but if he wanted to, he could have built an explosive device and killed plenty.
True. But we actually license and monitor bomb-making materials very closely here, which is probably why that is a very uncommon mode of attack. Some might argue that such restrictions impede the "citizen-soldier's" ability to resist the gubmnent, but I'm glad that the U.S. doesn't look like Baghdad.

No idea if New Zealand does the same, but I imagine most of our allies do. That's probably one reason why vehicles and knives are used by most terrorist attacks in Europe, where guns and bombs are largely unavailable.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
True. But we actually license and monitor bomb-making materials very closely here, which is probably why that is a very uncommon mode of attack. Some might argue that such restrictions impede the "citizen-soldier's" ability to resist the gubmnent, but I'm glad that the U.S. doesn't look like Baghdad.

No idea if New Zealand does the same, but I imagine most of our allies do. That's probably one reason why vehicles and knives are used by most terrorist attacks in Europe, where guns and bombs are largely unavailable.
IIRC, ISIS even urged vehicle attacks in Europe. Almost as much damage as with a gun...

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Once again I'd point out that perspective is in order when discussing restricting an enumerated right of the people.

According to the FBI's Uniform Crime Report of 2017, 467 people were killed with “blunt objects (hammers, clubs, etc.), while 403 were killed were rifles. Out of 15,129 murders in the US in 2017, 403 were killed with rifles - 2.6%.

In 2016, the FBI reported that 374 people were murdered with rifles while 656 were murdered via "hands, fists, feet, etc." and 1,798 people via "other weapons" (they didn't itemize until 2017). So again, in 2016 rifles accounted for 2.4% of 14,976 murders.

Say what you wish, but we're talking about reducing the rights of millions of law abiding citizens in order to address a minuscule percentage of crime here.

Last edited:

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
If we dig a little deeper into 2017, we find that 154 people were killed in what are commonly referred to as 'mass shootings' (generally defined as four or more killed, excluding gang-related killings). Most shootings utilized more than one weapon type, virtually all of which included handguns of some sort. Details of the killings often do not include which weapon type was used to kill each victim in these mass shootings, so it's difficult to discern how many times rifles were used vs handguns or shotguns, but at least 32 deaths occurred exclusively by handgun or shotgun.

So with regards to mass shootings (which is when these 'ban the AR15' discussions always arise), we see that in 2017, out of 15,129 murders in the US, at most 122 people were killed in a mass shooting by a rifle of any kind. And that number is almost certainly lower, as most mass-shooters also carried handguns - the deduction of the 32 deaths referenced above were only in cases where the shooter used exclusively shotguns or handguns in the mass killing. That means all rifles (not just the so-called 'military style' rifles) account for 0.8% of the mass murders in the US in 2017.

Again, perspective.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)

Yes, I realize this and New Zealand likely pays attention as well. However, there are many materials available that are not so easily tracked and can be used for bombs though more difficult to accumulate in large quantities. Take away guns then bombings and vehicles would likely come into play even more for terrorists.

Last edited:

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
Once again I'd point out that perspective is in order when discussing restricting an enumerated right of the people.

According to the FBI's Uniform Crime Report of 2017, 467 people were killed with “blunt objects (hammers, clubs, etc.), while 403 were killed were rifles. Out of 15,129 murders in the US in 2017, 403 were killed with rifles - 2.6%.

In 2016, the FBI reported that 374 people were murdered with rifles while 656 were murdered via "hands, fists, feet, etc." and 1,798 people via "other weapons" (they didn't itemize until 2017). So again, in 2016 rifles accounted for 2.4% of 14,976 murders.

Say what you wish, but we're talking about reducing the rights of millions of law abiding citizens in order to address a minuscule percentage of crime here.
If we dig a little deeper into 2017, we find that 154 people were killed in what are commonly referred to as 'mass shootings' (generally defined as four or more killed, excluding gang-related killings). Most shootings utilized more than one weapon type, virtually all of which included handguns of some sort. Details of the killings often do not include which weapon type was used to kill each victim in these mass shootings, so it's difficult to discern how many times rifles were used vs handguns or shotguns, but at least 32 deaths occurred exclusively by handgun or shotgun.

So with regards to mass shootings (which is when these 'ban the AR15' discussions always arise), we see that in 2017, out of 15,129 murders in the US, at most 122 people were killed in a mass shooting by a rifle of any kind. And that number is almost certainly lower, as most mass-shooters also carried handguns - the deduction of the 32 deaths referenced above were only in cases where the shooter used exclusively shotguns or handguns in the mass killing. That means all rifles (not just the so-called 'military style' rifles) account for 0.8% of the mass murders in the US in 2017.

Again, perspective.
Yeah, two of the biggest mass murder events - the Virginia Tech shooting and the Luby's Massacre - involved handguns. The shooting at Luby's was particularly striking because many of the victims had guns, but the law at the time did not allow them to carry. People obeyed the law and had their guns in their cars when George Hennard started the killing.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.