Game Thread: OFFICIAL POSTGAME THREAD - Bama v. UK...

trenda

Hall of Fame
May 17, 2000
Hendersonville, TN USA
Seeing the way the team started playing in January had given me hope; but, as much hope as that garnered, this late season swoon was even worse.

CAJ has shown he can recruit - in flashes. His teams have shown that they can play with anyone - in flashes. What we haven't seen is player development and consistency in playing at a high level.

The most consistency we've had over these past four years is INconsistency.

I really like CAJ; but, IMO, if he's to stay on as coach the school needs to see an improved and more consistent effort on the court. What we've seen is NOT the best that Alabama basketball can be.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I took my wife out for dinner last night. I didn't even record the game to watch later. Got the notification that we lost by a significant margin during dinnner and it didn't even phase me.

I know we've knocked the situation around from about just every possible angle. How many times has our leading scorer come off the bench? I know it happened the last two games in the tourney. It strikes me that we are either so inconsistent that we don't have 5 players that stand out enough to get the best 5 on the floor OR that we just don't have 5 good players OR that we don't have a coach that can figure that out and help 5 guys play as a unit. I figure it's some of every one of those.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Getting a combined 12 pts out of Norris, Lewis, Jones and Petty is ridiculous. Not going to win many games with that output from those 4 players.
Kira kinda cratered near the end of the season. It's no accident that we were playing better when he was playing better.

I've said it's an indictment on Avery's coaching that the best two players we've had the last two years were true freshmen and they both didn't really get better as the season went on.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
we should not accept an NIT bid , I for one sick and tired of being a bubble year in and year out.
Disagree, we should play as many games as we can to get Kira Lewis and John Petty ready for next season where they will need to be the stars of the team.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Kira kinda cratered near the end of the season. It's no accident that we were playing better when he was playing better.

I've said it's an indictment on Avery's coaching that the best two players we've had the last two years were true freshmen and they both didn't really get better as the season went on.
To be fair, the only thing Colin Sexton needed to learn was taking smarter risks on defense to avoid foul trouble and developing an outside shot.

He was like a Mini-DWade and with consistent 3pt shooting from everyone else on the wing that ought to been good enough to be a 4 or 5 seed last year instead of a damn near last major conference team into the pool.

Over the last month he's really come on for the Cavs as he's gotten more minutes in the league. He's made that breakthrough by finally developing the 3pt shot a bit. Colin is gonna be a star in the pros sooner rather than later. His talent was basically wasted on just barely getting a team into the bracket.

Last edited:

CrimSonami

All-American
Jul 17, 2011
Ardmore, AL; too close to 10erC
I think we will probably get an idea where things with CAJ are going by Monday. Assuming we don’t make the NCAA field and Bama is offered a NIT bid, will Byrne accept it? If he does, I think it sends the signal that CAJ gets another year. If we don’t accept it would, at least in my mind, make me think Byrne and others are weighing their options going forward.
I’m not about canning coaches every four or five years, but the fact of the matter is things haven’t gotten better under CAJ. And quite honestly, Bama has been a terrible product to watch the last six weeks.
My take: If we don't go to the NCAA and get the NIT go ahead and accept it. Work a deal with CAJ and appoint Pelphrey interim. Go as deep as we can in the NIT and wait until all this FBI/NCAA debacle is clearer and go after a coach that isn't implicated.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
My take: If we don't go to the NCAA and get the NIT go ahead and accept it. Work a deal with CAJ and appoint Pelphrey interim. Go as deep as we can in the NIT and wait until all this FBI/NCAA debacle is clearer and go after a coach that isn't implicated.
That would be very difficult. The FBI case could last a long time. They aren’t finished with indictments IIRC. Plus, there could be guys on wiretaps that might not get indicted that the NCAA would like to talk to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
We gave Anthony Grant 6 years but admittedly his first four were a bit stronger than Avery Johnson's first four seasons. CAJ is only got him on NCAAT wins but we're talking about a lone win v. none.

I don't know what to do here because the profile for the program is better due to his PR ability but the product on the court is perhaps worse than what we had in the first four years of Grant.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
We gave Anthony Grant 6 years but admittedly his first four were a bit stronger than Avery Johnson's first four seasons. CAJ is only got him on NCAAT wins but we're talking about a lone win v. none.

I don't know what to do here because the profile for the program is better due to his PR ability but the product on the court is perhaps worse than what we had in the first four years of Grant.
We’ve tried to stay away from comparisons the last few weeks, but this is just wrong.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Fair to note that those early 2010s SEC seasons Grant coached in were pretty dang weak compared to what CAJ faces in a much more competitive conference top to bottom.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Off hand without research, the SEC was crappier during CAG's tenure so he had fewer scalps to collect w/r/t top 25 wins.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Off hand without research, the SEC was crappier during CAG's tenure so he had fewer scalps to collect w/r/t top 25 wins.
From another thread:

Anthony Grant had six ranked SEC opponents at home. He went 2-4.

Avery has played 12 ranked SEC teams at home. He's 8-4.

He's played twice as many in one less season. I would say conference strength matters plenty when making a comparison.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.